Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are dual chargers available for MS75 and not MX75? Destination Tesla charging all at 80AMP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla | Shop

Seems all the destination charging locations are setup with 80AMP service.

Standard Charger 48AMP
Dual Charger 72AMP

I am happy to pay extra to install after the fact through the dealer. But it seems this option is only available for Model S.

Please Tesla can you offer the dual charger for the MX as well.

This would help speed up charging times at destination charging locations. As this would be a win win for everyone.

If anyone knows the reasoning behind the MX not having a dual charger option please let me know.

I would have thought the MX would have had the capability of charging faster then the model 3

There's some misunderstanding here. The dual charger you see in the store is a second 40A charger that fits in the original Model S (pre-facelift) to give a total of 80A charger. It was an option at the time of purchase, then became a service center added option. It has nothing to do with the facelift S or any X, all of which have either 48A or 72A chargers, not 40A as the original Model S came with.

For a while all of the Model X had 48A charger as standard and 72A was an upgrade when ordering the car (it's a different charger, not an additional one). Now the 75 comes with the 48A charger and the 100 comes with the 72A charger. I think Tesla found that mainstream buyers didn't understand choosing a charger size and it just caused confusion-- especially when people thought it had something to do with supercharging when it doesn't.

Although destination charging HPWCs can have 80A output if installed in a 100A circuit, actually many if not the majority of them are installed on lesser circuits. It's common for them to have only 40, or 48, or 64, or 72A output depending in the size circuit it's installed on. Regardless, it's enough to charge your car overnight at the destination.

Last edited:
48 Amps is fast enough for almost any overnight charging need.

I am charging my Model S now at a hotel with a 48 Amp destination HPWC. My pre-facelift dual charger car is capable of 80 Amps, but most Tesla destination HPWCs that I have used have less current available, with 48 and 64 Amps the most common. J1772 charging stations typically have 30 or 32 Amps.

GSP

Reactions: dragonxt
There's some misunderstanding here. The dual charger you see in the store is a second 40A charger that fits in the original Model S (pre-facelift) to give a total of 80A charger. It was an option at the time of purchase, then became a service center added option. It has nothing to do with the facelift S or any X, all of which have either 48A or 72A chargers, not 40A as the original Model S came with.

For a while all of the Model X had 48A charger as standard and 72A was an upgrade when ordering the car (it's a different charger, not an additional one). Now the 75 comes with the 48A charger and the 100 comes with the 72A charger. I think Tesla found that mainstream buyers didn't understand choosing a charger size and it just caused confusion-- especially when people thought it had something to do with supercharging when it doesn't.

Although destination charging HPWCs can have 80A output if installed in a 100A circuit, actually many if not the majority of them are installed on lesser circuits. It's common for them to have only 40, or 48, or 64, or 72A output depending in the size circuit it's installed on. Regardless, it's enough to charge your car overnight at the destination.
Maybe it's different here in Europe but on the Swedish website it says that the upgraded charger comes as standard in all cars that is order after the 30:e June 2017.