Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are P85D's "cheap" now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It gets taxed twice (or more)?! How is that legal?

CA tax was the reason I did not buy a Tesla there. I was not a resident and they still demanded it. Crazy.

Any time personal property changes hands in a sale you pay tax on it. It's legal. For cars, you pay sales tax based on the purchase price plus VLF. It works out to about 10% in CA. Most states that collect sales tax do exactly the same thing.

Any time personal property changes hands in a sale you pay tax on it. It's legal. For cars, you pay sales tax based on the purchase price plus VLF. It works out to about 10% in CA. Most states that collect sales tax do exactly the same thing.
The difference is CA is one of, and maybe the only state that taxes an out of state buyer.

Last edited:

Boy am I glad that I live in a state that does not have sales tax. I don’t even know what VLF is.

I have never heard of a state charging tax on a motor vehicle purchase to a non-resident.

I think the Performance cars depreciate faster than other Tesla models because of the people who tend to buy them. There are a number of people who have cycled through a number of Teslas now chasing the highest performance car. They got a P85D, then a P90D when it performed better, and then dumped the P90D in favor of a P100D. I've seen them on the forum.

A used P85D runs the risk of having been driven harder by a previous owner and it will have less range than an 85D of the same vintage. Many may have slower launch numbers than a new 100D (non-Performance). Basically an older P car is a negative for resale. This isn't as true for the original RWD P cars because they had the same range numbers as the original non-P RWD cars.

So on the used market, more people are looking at the non-Performance cars and the P cars sit longer and have to be discounted more. When I was saving up for my 90D I did keep an eye on the used market in case a lightly used car came available. I found a lot of P85Ds being dumped by people who switched to a P90D after a year because their P85D was too pokey, but year old 90Ds and 85Ds were very, very rare and cost more than P85Ds of the same age.

I expect P100Ds have held their value fairly well because there hasn't been any major changes in almost 2 years now, but the older P cars have depreciated faster than non-P cars.

Reactions: MC408
The difference is CA is one of, and maybe the only state that taxes an out of state buyer.

Nope. CA is like every other state that charges sales tax on vehicles. If you buy your car in Arizona and pay 5.6% and then register it in CA, CA will charge also charge you sales tax but they will subtract what you already paid in AZ.

Bottom line is, if you buy a car out of state, you'll pay sales tax regardless but it will only be once in the end will only be the max of the two states.

Every state that charges sales tax has similar reciprocal deals with every other state that also charges sales tax to prevent double taxing.

Boy am I glad that I live in a state that does not have sales tax. I don’t even know what VLF is.

I have never heard of a state charging tax on a motor vehicle purchase to a non-resident.

I purchased an FX50 in AZ and got charged full sales their full sales tax even though I was taking it to CA. EVERY state that charges sales tax does this.

Nope. CA is like every other state that charges sales tax on vehicles. If you buy your car in Arizona and pay 5.6% and then register it in CA, CA will charge also charge you sales tax but they will subtract what you already paid in AZ.

Bottom line is, if you buy a car out of state, you'll pay sales tax regardless but it will only be once in the end will only be the max of the two states.

Every state that charges sales tax has similar reciprocal deals with every other state that also charges sales tax to prevent double taxing.

That isn’t how it works in most states. I’ve never paid sales tax at the time of sale in IA, NE, NY, DC, NM, NJ, or MO. Most states charge sales tax when you register your vehicle. I never said you pay sales tax twice, but the way CA does it certainly cost you money. My state only charges 5.5%. If I paid CA 10% my state would be satisfied, but that additional 4.5% isn’t returned. 4.5% of a used Tesla is a decent amount of money.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
That isn’t how it works in most states. I’ve never paid sales tax at the time of sale in IA, NE, NY, DC, NM, NJ, or MO. Most states charge sales tax when you register your vehicle. I never said you pay sales tax twice, but the way CA does it certainly cost you money. My state only charges 5.5%. If I paid CA 10% my state would be satisfied, but that additional 4.5% isn’t returned. 4.5% of a used Tesla is a decent amount of money.

Go back and read my post. You clearly didn't.

Go back and read my post. You clearly didn't.
I did, and I’m not sure which part of my response you disagree with. CA (and as you seem to indicate AZ) is one of the few states that charge sales tax at the time of purchase. This is not how most states handle sales tax on a used vehicle.

If I were to purchase a used P85D from CA for $65k. I would be charged $6500 in sales tax when I pick up the car in CA. When I return to NE I would not be liable for the 5.5% ($3575) in state tax that is owed. The problem is that the $2925 I overpaid is just gone. That is the part that is not normal. I for one don’t really want to give CA $3000 for nothing.

Reactions: GSP
If I were to purchase a used P85D from CA for $65k. I would be charged $6500 in sales tax when I pick up the car in CA. When I return to NE I would not be liable for the 5.5% ($3575) in state tax that is owed. The problem is that the $2925 I overpaid is just gone. That is the part that is not normal. I for one don’t really want to give CA $3000 for nothing.

Yup, and I never disputed that and that was NEVER part of my point hence my statement that you didn't read my post.

Yup, and I never disputed that and that was NEVER part of my point hence my statement that you didn't read my post.
You’re entire post started with “Nope” quoting what I said. So then what that I said do you disagree with? All I stated was that CA is unique or at least in the minority in that it charges out of state buyers sales tax. I don’t really care to debate this any more. I didn’t purchase from CA for this reason. You and anyone else are obviously free to do as you please.

Tesla promised that if you bought a car with full self-drive capability, then when self-driving was legalised they would ensure it would be able to do so; even if that required hardware replacement right? So if you own an AP1 car and held on to it, would that mean eventually that they would have to upgrade it?

If this is so, then I wonder how that would affect value.

Were you aware that AP2 has an AP3 upgrade path?

We will see how that pans out. Tesla (Elon) says a lot of things. AP 3 may turn out to be a full new set of cameras/sensors, of which only the CPU portion is offered to current FSD owners. If they add a rear radar, for example, I doubt my current FSD car will be getting that unless there is already wiring for it today. AP 2.0 is already getting left out of software features now, albeit minor things like the dash cam.

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
We will see how that pans out. Tesla (Elon) says a lot of things. AP 3 may turn out to be a full new set of cameras/sensors, of which only the CPU portion is offered to current FSD owners. If they add a rear radar, for example, I doubt my current FSD car will be getting that unless there is already wiring for it today. AP 2.0 is already getting left out of software features now, albeit minor things like the dash cam.

As long as he didn’t say “secured” I’ll still hold on to hope. ;)

Lots on TMC disagree with me on this point but I believe the Model 3 will change the slowest of the 3 lines.

Tesla is just not where they can withstand the PR of infuriating 200,000 Model 3 owners.

When people say, oh they ran over AP1 owners that is a different story. It’s Mobileye technology so built in excuse. There was also only a small number of users that were caught up in receiving AP1 a few weeks before AP2. Despite the low impact, forum members were writing “open letters to Elon”

Most P3- owners were not going to take their car on a track. Most P3- owners felt the P3+ was not worth 5,000.

When Tesla finally got around to announcing track mode requiring P3+ all the P3- owners rioted.

Some had their reasons like they were actually going to go with different brakes, wheels and tires. Most just piled on because they “want stuff”.

Bottom line is if you wanted the best, you check all the boxes. Anything else is a risk. They took the risk but didn’t want to pay the consequences.

One would imagine someone making a 50,000+ purchase is going to do extensive research and figure out if they can stomach an outdated car.

Not everyone does, so they will complain.

Those who do know, are benefited from piling on the “outrage train”.

Unlike Apple, I actually believe Tesla built the most advanced car possible and did not hold back.

They had to..since the car couldn’t change much due to the outrage fallout.

There’s no other good explanation for a $49,000 car having better AP suite and MCUs then cars over twice that price.

Tesla could announce that 2019 Model 3s come with updated dihydrogen monoxide holders and people here would be losing their *sugar*.

They would want an upgrade path or exchange.

Game is totally different when you move from boutique to mass market.

Reactions: MC408
Tesla promised that if you bought a car with full self-drive capability, then when self-driving was legalised they would ensure it would be able to do so; even if that required hardware replacement right? So if you own an AP1 car and held on to it, would that mean eventually that they would have to upgrade it?

If this is so, then I wonder how that would affect value.
Except AP1 cars never had "full self-driving capability". It wasn't introduced until AP2, so this is irrelevant.

Guess I’ll find out when I fly out to Chicago to pick her up. Pictures can only tell so much of the story. I have a refundable ticket back if needed, but hopefully don’t need to follow through with that option

Here’s the pictures Tesla gave:
WeGoLook Tesla Location - Vehicle Condition Report: Job #3661 4816

Engine View??? Maybe the new person wrote this..

Engine.JPG