Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why bother to pre-order the new Model 3 (or whatever it is called now)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, but the only substantial difference between the Superchargers network and let's say CHAdeMO network is that you can travel across the country as was pointer above. How often car owner travel across the US? Beyond that, CHAdeMO, for example, is an open standard. Guess, which network will grow faster.

It's not traveling across the country, it's traveling anywhere (which is the only time you need fast chargers). Almost all of the CHAdeMO chargers are in metro areas where they do absolutely no good for a longer range car. You don't need fast chargers locally, you need them on highways.

Reactions: GSP
I'll be getting a Model 3 because of the following:

1. Originally I wanted a Model X as my only car. However, reasonably equipped, it's simply too expensive.
2. Similarly equipped, a Model 3 will probably be half the cost of a Model X.
3. That means that I can afford to get a top end Model 3 for 95+% of my driving, while also keeping my i30 for towing and such.

A top end Model 3 might cost 65k USD, but at that price it will beat anything. Probably more than 300 mile EPA range, supercharging, 2. gen autopilot, sub 3 second 0-60 mph, five seats, adequate luggage space, 15" LCD with all sorts of features, etc.

There are no competitors on the horizon, so why not reserve a Model 3 so that I get it as soon as possible?

Here is an article from yesterday regarding the Supercharging Network and the Model 3

Will Tesla Motors Charge Extra For Model 3 Supercharging? If So, How Much?

Will Tesla Motors Charge Extra For Model 3 Supercharging? If So, How Much? -- The Motley Fool

Whether built into the price of the car or as part of the Premium option current users have to pay for the option current Telsla users have paid for it. Current cost is $2,000 with the car or $2,500 after the fact. There is no way they can allow Model 3 buyers to pay less. The current charging infrastructure is not sufficient to handle the Tesla's being made now and the Tesla cars already in use. There are already waiting lines and the Model X have just begin to hit the street. In order to keep lines to a minimum they are going to have to continue to build the Supercharger network out. If they are going to continue to build it out to support the Model 3 and not disrupt current Tesla owners someone has to pay for it. There are other options to the prepaid model like having a per use charge

One thing people have to realize Is the Supercharging network is not intended for daily charging. Tesla expects the average person will get their charge at home. The Supercharging Network is mainly placed along the interstate or other main roads and is intended for traveling long distance. For me it is 140 miles and $10 in tolls round trip to the closest Suoercharger. There may be a small amount of individuals who are close to a charger who may use it on a regular basis but who wants to wait everyday in line at a charging station just to get a free charge. Depending on the capacity of your car this could be hours.

The other issue there are more and more business putting in free chargers at their business (hotels, doctors, grocery stores, malls, parking garages) for their customers. A lot of people will get their charge there.

As to why you should wait in line to get a reservation. First if they follow past procedures the deposit is fully refundable and with todays interest rates you aren't losing much money by having it hold a reservations.

Even though employees and current Tesla owners are going to be put on the top of the list for reservations this only means when ordering opens up in the fall of 2017 or early 2018 they will place their order a few days in advance. This doesn't necessarily mean they will get their cars first. If Tesla follows past procedures cars will be delivered based on which options selected. The most highly optioned cars will be produced first with base model last.

There is no question in my mind you can't compare a Volt and a Model 3. It will be like comparing apples and oranges. The Model 3 will be a small luxury sedan unlike a Volt which is a compact/sub-compact economy car. You also compare the electric cars of today with what is produced by Tesla 18 months from now as Tesla will have a leading edge car. You you choose the base model you will be getting a leading edge car but it still be a $35k car. Don't expect to get a car like the Model X or S for $35k but it will be a nicely equipped base model.

I don't think giving the employees and current Tesla owners a jump will matter in the big scheme of things since it is pretty certain the price will drive when you get the car.

Always remember, at any point a car company starts making a car you really like in the next 18 months you can always get your reservation deposit deposit back.

Remember after placing you order, create an account and enter your reservation information at Model3Tracker.info .

It's anybody's guess how much sooner you will get your car reserving now versus reserving after they ship. It all depends on how many reservations and what the ramp on the Model 3 is. For some people even a couple months is worth it; the $1000 isn't going to earn much interest elsewhere. For the Model S I reserved after they were shipping and got my car in 4 1/2 months, which was about 2 1/2 months later than people who had reserved at the beginning and ordered the same car as me. My guess is that you will have to wait quite a while after shipping before you can get a car right away.
In case of Model X you will be better of moving to California. Reservation gives you pretty much 0 priority.

• Disagree
Reactions: TMS
A top end Model 3 might cost 65k USD, but at that price it will beat anything. Probably more than 300 mile EPA range, supercharging, 2. gen autopilot, sub 3 second 0-60 mph, five seats, adequate luggage space, 15" LCD with all sorts of features, etc.
I have a strange feeling that Model 3 will not meet your expectations. Let's wait till April 1 (in your time zone).

• Disagree
Reactions: TMS
I understand the reason behind pre-ordering a Signature edition. Beyond that we know that Tesla will prioritize fully-equipped cars no matter when you put a deposit. So, would it be easier to go ahead and order Model S instead. The difference in price between a top of the line Model 3 and Model S 70D should not be that big.
A.) For some, $70K (or more) is too much to spend on a car. You could get a CPO Model S for $60K but that wouldn't solve...
B.) The Model S and Model X are very big (very wide) cars. Not only would either one be problematic fitting up and down my narrow city driveway (I tried), but getting around the frequent double-parked cars in my neighborhood is also problematic.

There's a reason compact luxury sedans and compact SUVs are popular, and not just because of the price.

Reactions: Scott Wilcox
I'll be getting a Model 3 because of the following:

1. Originally I wanted a Model X as my only car. However, reasonably equipped, it's simply too expensive.
2. Similarly equipped, a Model 3 will probably be half the cost of a Model X.
3. That means that I can afford to get a top end Model 3 for 95+% of my driving, while also keeping my i30 for towing and such.

There are no competitors on the horizon, so why not reserve a Model 3 so that I get it as soon as possible?

To get the specifications you meantion here (range and speed) you are probably talking the "Performance and Dual Motor" version of the Model 3, which would be at the higher end of the pricing scale. The way they have grouped options in the past to get one thing you really want you have to pay for stuff you don't care about. This is the way it was on the S and X. They don't have options indivually priced but you have to buy things in predefined groups. Of course they could change this on the 3 but it is a marketing scheme to make money.

It's not traveling across the country, it's traveling anywhere (which is the only time you need fast chargers). Almost all of the CHAdeMO chargers are in metro areas where they do absolutely no good for a longer range car. You don't need fast chargers locally, you need them on highways.
I disagree that CHAdeMO chargers are located only in metro areas, but let's forget about it for a second.
Let's keep in mind that CHAdeMO is an open standard. There are a number of equipment providers as well as number of independent charging networks. So, the locations for the stations are mostly driven by the demand. Will more demand arise from longer range EVs - more stations will pop-up.
Location and number of Tesla Superchargers, is driven by one company. So if Tesla will decide not to build a station at a particular popular location it will not build one and no one will.

Is there a currently-available model for charge-per-use access to the Supercharger network?

I live 8 minutes from a Supercharger. I also work for a company that has several dozen EV parking spots. And I will be installing a charger at my residence. The chances of my "needing" to use a Supercharger very often are slim to none. I might, however, be prone to an occasional roadtrip, at which point, I would be interested in using the SC network as my pitstop, rather than spending hours somewhere I don't want to be. I'm curious how the cost would compare on a per-use basis over the expected life of the vehicle.

To get the specifications you meantion here (range and speed) you are probably talking the "Performance and Dual Motor" version of the Model 3, which would be at the higher end of the pricing scale. The way they have grouped options in the past to get one thing you really want you have to pay for stuff you don't care about. This is the way it was on the S and X. They don't have options indivually priced but you have to buy things in predefined groups. Of course they could change this on the 3 but it is a marketing scheme to make money.

What do you think every other car maker has been doing for the past 25years. Go to any car website, click on the design your own car, then click get inventory. You'll find that 90% of the time, the car you designed is not what they have in inventory. They have some features you don't want, and they are packaged together with other features. Seems to be a standard practice, no matter the car company.

The difference between the lowest to the highest Model X is $90k. I would say the difference between the top and bottom of a 3 will be $50-$60k, making the top $85+k Elon has already stated the base Model 3 will have a range of 200 miles. Therefore the base model will probably be in line with what the 70D is now. Which gets you a range of just over 200 (230) and a 0-60 of 6.0. In addition to a Performsnce and now performance vs they will probably have a Dual and non-Dual motor configuration. Of course the base would be a non-P and non-D. They also throttle functionality, for example they will throttle the 0-60 for a base and increase for the PD models. They current do this on the various models of the X.

What do you think every other car maker has been doing for the past 25years. Go to any car website, click on the design your own car, then click get inventory. You'll find that 90% of the time, the car you designed is not what they have in inventory. They have some features you don't want, and they are packaged together with other features. Seems to be a standard practice, no matter the car company.
The only reason I say this is Tesla seems to do it more than others. There are very few indivual options. Not complaining about Tesla it is just the way it is.

True, but the only substantial difference between the Superchargers network and let's say CHAdeMO network is that you can travel across the country as was pointer above. How often car owner travel across the US? Beyond that, CHAdeMO, for example, is an open standard. Guess, which network will grow faster.
I would say the supercharger network is growing faster and is more reliable. The CHAdeMO network on paper is finally just able to connect some coastal routes, but the stations only have one or two chargers. So even with modest demand that network won't be able to handle it.

It is also much slower. Tesla's superchargers are in the tolerable range (170 miles in 30 minutes), but CHAdeMO is too slow in the moment (more like 170 miles in 70 to 80 minutes, or about 65-75 miles in 30 minutes).

• Informative
Reactions: Auzie and GSP
Is there a currently-available model for charge-per-use access to the Supercharger network?

I live 8 minutes from a Supercharger. I also work for a company that has several dozen EV parking spots. And I will be installing a charger at my residence. The chances of my "needing" to use a Supercharger very often are slim to none. I might, however, be prone to an occasional roadtrip, at which point, I would be interested in using the SC network as my pitstop, rather than spending hours somewhere I don't want to be. I'm curious how the cost would compare on a per-use basis over the expected life of the vehicle.
They don't have an Infratructure to support a pay as you go method now. To put one in would be a considerable cost. Also if you want any of the features which are in the premium group you have to pay for the supercharger whether you will ever use it.

Chances are that Model 3 will not get free charging on Supercharger network. Plus, other EVs has there own fast charging options.
But trues is that other EVs will not have Tesla in name or a letter from the word SEX :)
Chevy Bolt not only doesn't have its own fast charging network, but DC charging on the Chevy Bolt has already been announced to be an extra cost option. And according to Chevy, the Bolt will charge at a DC Fast Charging station at a rate of about 90 miles per 1/2 hour (as opposed to Model S which charges at around 170 Mile per half hour at super chargers). Who else (other than Tesla) has announced an actual high speed charger network on a large scale (not just in a specific state or region)?

Last edited: