Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why bother to pre-order the new Model 3 (or whatever it is called now)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand the reason behind pre-ordering a Signature edition. Beyond that we know that Tesla will prioritize fully-equipped cars no matter when you put a deposit. So, would it be easier to go ahead and order Model S instead. The difference in price between a top of the line Model 3 and Model S 70D should not be that big.

HAHA Copy and paste from another TESLA member..

I understand the reason behind pre-ordering a Signature edition. Beyond that we know that Tesla will prioritize fully-equipped cars no matter when you put a deposit. So, would it be easier to go ahead and order Model S instead. The difference in price between a top of the line Model 3 and Model S 70D should not be that big.

Ahh, but maybe I will be able to get a Model 3 loaded with autopilot and other cool options for the same price as that base model S.

Chances are that Model 3 will not get free charging on Supercharger network. Plus, other EVs has there own fast charging options
The model 3 will have access to the supercharger network. While it's been debated as nauseum on this forum, it has been said by Elon already. So where are you getting this idea?

Other EV "fast" charging options are only "fast" because their batteries are teeny. Superchargers are the BEST choice both in terms of speed and network.

Chances are that Model 3 will not get free charging on Supercharger network. Plus, other EVs has there own fast charging options.
But trues is that other EVs will not have Tesla in name or a letter from the word SEX :)
Big difference - also been said many, many times. Other car DO have the ability to "fast" charge, usually at 40-50% of the speed of a supercharger.
But here's a hint - go to plugshare.com then change the view to only show CCS & Chademo. It is not possible to plan a route using DCFC anywhere but the two coasts.
Now turn on Superchargers and your routes across the country appear - and what makes Tesla unique.
The other so called alternatives just let you charge less frequently, they enable slightly longer journeys and nothing else.

Big difference - also been said many, many times. Other car DO have the ability to "fast" charge, usually at 40-50% of the speed of a supercharger.
But here's a hint - go to plugshare.com then change the view to only show CCS & Chademo. It is not possible to plan a route using DCFC anywhere but the two coasts.
Now turn on Superchargers and your routes across the country appear - and what makes Tesla unique.
The other so called alternatives just let you charge less frequently, they enable slightly longer journeys and nothing else.
It's true, that supercharger can charge faster, .. but honestly, how often do you charge there?
And traveling on the car across the country I bet is not the most popular use of it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yuri_G and TMS
You still forget the many advantages of Tesla over others:
Superchargers / destination chargers
OTA updates
Longer range
A True EV only company and culture
Supercharger is an option you are using rarely (compare a number of Teslas on the road and number of superchargers)
"OTA updates" - OK. But will it have a camera mirror (like Bolt)? No? What a shame :)
"Longer range" - All upcoming Gen 2 EVs will have a longer range
"A True EV only company and culture" - I'm buying a car not a car company. And I suspect, you would not mention this if you'd know bit more about a culture in Tesla

Supercharger is an option you are using rarely (compare a number of Teslas on the road and number of superchargers)
I wouldn't downplay the importance of the Supercharger network. Owners may only be using it a minority of the time, but it's what allows our Model S, for example, to satisfy 100% of our use case rather than just 75% (~25% of our annual mileage consists of trips which make use of Supercharging).

I see your reason. And it's not about Model 3 vs Model S.
Point is, that reserving a signature edition will truly get your husband into Model 3 quicker. Otherwise, the delay is negligible (couple of month vs year - year and a half till Model 3 will go in production).

It's anybody's guess how much sooner you will get your car reserving now versus reserving after they ship. It all depends on how many reservations and what the ramp on the Model 3 is. For some people even a couple months is worth it; the $1000 isn't going to earn much interest elsewhere. For the Model S I reserved after they were shipping and got my car in 4 1/2 months, which was about 2 1/2 months later than people who had reserved at the beginning and ordered the same car as me. My guess is that you will have to wait quite a while after shipping before you can get a car right away.

I wouldn't downplay the importance of the Supercharger network. Owners may only be using it a minority of the time, but it's what allows our Model S, for example, to satisfy 100% of our use case rather than just 75% (~25% of our annual mileage consists of trips which make use of Supercharging).
True, but the only substantial difference between the Superchargers network and let's say CHAdeMO network is that you can travel across the country as was pointer above. How often car owner travel across the US? Beyond that, CHAdeMO, for example, is an open standard. Guess, which network will grow faster.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yuri_G and TMS