Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why choose Model 3 over Model Y if you can have more trunk space?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have to agree though - the MY is one ugly SOB from the back.
Grew on me
New EVs backs look good and some bad
Genesis GV60 bad back
1701133461387.png

MYP back, better
1701133563223.png

EV6 GT ugh
1701133674598.png

PS3 jury is out
1701133787529.png

I've always said that a 3 with a liftback would be ideal. See Polestar 2 or i4.

The Ys I've owned - were appliances. Quick but not fun to drive. I preferred the much lighter Model 3 RWD and would be sad if Tesla discontinued it and pushed for more fat porkers.
Will be interesting when the M2 shows up targeting the $25K to $32K bef credits
Leaving the M3RWD at $38K question?
Know the M2 will be the small crossover vs M3 as a sports sedan, defining the difference
Maybe the highland refresh will move M3 bottom up to $39.9K
Will leave room for the M2 to expand $25K to $35K
Top number loaded
Like the line filling in

Like they said in the movie Jaws
Tesla will need more bigger centers due to higher traffic and delivery volume

I kind of wish there was a Model 3 hatchback. So I can keep the sedan shape and still have storage for my arcade prizes or E-scooter. But having a Model Y is nice for road trips, especially arcade trips when I have boxes of plush to bring back. My friend redeems alot, it be nice if I could have an EV van.

I kind of wish there was a Model 3 hatchback. So I can keep the sedan shape and still have storage for my arcade prizes or E-scooter. But having a Model Y is nice for road trips, especially arcade trips when I have boxes of plush to bring back. My friend redeems alot, it be nice if I could have an EV van.
Ford makes an EV van. They used to make an electric Transit Connect also but I don't see it on the web page.

Why choose Model Y over Model 3 just for more trunk space?
If you lifestyle requires it, then yes
I golf once a month or every other and I’m mostly in the MY and the clubs go in easy, 1/3rd seat folded down, just hit the button
So I’m good
With my M3, which my daughter drives, if that was my vehicle and I played golf even more, the complete folding of the M3 rear seat would annoy me

Folding the MY feels uneventful
The folding of the M3, like any sedan, is annoying

Hatch vs. trunk, more storage space, room for a spare, factory tow hitch, better seating position,and easier entry/exit (especially with sore legs, because you never skip leg day) all made the difference for us. I'm sure the 3 probably drives a little nicer, but the Y is still a rocketship compared to anything else I've owned/driven.

It just comes down to what you need to do and what your preferences are regarding aesthetics, performance, comfort, and utility.

Reactions: kpanda17
If you lifestyle requires it, then yes

It just comes down to what you need to do and what your preferences are regarding aesthetics, performance, comfort, and utility.

Exactly so in my case. I debated which EV to buy to cover two usage cases: Work vehicle in the the electrical trade during the week, and occasional trip car on the weekends. Perhaps somewhat oddly, it came down to wanting a hatch and a flat storage area for a ladder, and long(er) range for trips.

Compromise for sure, but such is the state of EV in 2023

Exactly so in my case. I debated which EV to buy to cover two usage cases: Work vehicle in the the electrical trade during the week, and occasional trip car on the weekends. Perhaps somewhat oddly, it came down to wanting a hatch and a flat storage area for a ladder, and long(er) range for trips.

Compromise for sure, but such is the state of EV in 2023
R1S
EV9
MY

I golf once a month or every other and I’m mostly in the MY and the clubs go in easy, 1/3rd seat folded down, just hit the button
So I’m good
With my M3, which my daughter drives, if that was my vehicle and I played golf even more, the complete folding of the M3 rear seat would annoy me
I play golf too and I can get a full set of clubs inside the boot of my M3 without folding the seats. If you put it diagonally with the bag in the back left corner and the club heads just behind the right side taillight then it goes in no worries.