Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why choose Model 3 over Model Y if you can have more trunk space?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't get a lot of attention, but model 3 is more energy efficient. I'm unusual in that I care more about that then how it drives.
+1
I also prefer a smaller car for handling, parking, etc. I think the 3 may be smaller than @kpanda17’s golf bag 😉:p
While I loved the MINI in my avatar, it is sold now. Patiently (not) waiting for the Highland to be sold in the USA.

It doesn't get a lot of attention, but model 3 is more energy efficient. I'm unusual in that I care more about that then how it drives.
It is an unusual sentiment on these forums, but energy efficiency does matter in terms of electricity costs, range, and amount of time spent at fast chargers on road trips.

For that reason, it is disappointing that much of the competition has not focused on energy efficiency as Tesla and Lucid have (even if you discount their EPA ratings a bit due to their maximizing the ratings within the rules more than others, they still are near the top based on the actual vehicle efficiency).

Reactions: tm1v2
Well, I vote for a Model Y for the space (other factors too, but since we are talking space). I recently picked up a large rug at Costco. When we were in the store, my wife and I were debating if we had to borrow a friend's minivan to bring the rug home. We decided we would give it a try in our Y. We folded the seats down and it fit beautifully. I was pleasantly surprised 👍

Well, I vote for a Model Y for the space (other factors too, but since we are talking space). I recently picked up a large rug at Costco. When we were in the store, my wife and I were debating if we had to borrow a friend's minivan to bring the rug home. We decided we would give it a try in our Y. We folded the seats down and it fit beautifully. I was pleasantly surprised 👍
Would not a rolled up rug equally fit in a Model 3 with the seats down? There are definitely some things that you can't get into a a Model 3 as compared to a Model Y, but I am not sure that a rug is a good example.

Would not a rolled up rug equally fit in a Model 3 with the seats down? There are definitely some things that you can't get into a a Model 3 as compared to a Model Y, but I am not sure that a rug is a good example.
Well, I just realized that the MY is only 2 inches longer than the M3 but the significant difference is in the width and the hatchback helps for higher items. Here are the measurements I found:

The Tesla Model 3 measures 184.8 inches long, 72.8 inches wide, and 56.8 inches tall. Meanwhile, the Tesla Model Y measures 187 inches long, 75.6 inches wide, and 64 inches tall.

I just hauled a 32x80” interior door in my MY. Seated folded and only front passenger seat pushed forward half way, with the door angled so it sort of sat over the centre console and on passenger side behind front seat.

Brilliant :)

I have any early 2020 SR+ and prefer it over the AWD and MYP. Yes the other cars are quicker and faster, but the SR+ is just a fun car to drive, easy to toss around and quick enough for me. Although having a longer range would be nice, I’ve only had to use the supercharger only 3 times during my 4 years of California ownership and I was in-and-out before the other cars finished. I haven’t had a chance to drive an older LR RWD or the new LFP RWD, but would imagine that the dynamics would be a little different due to the increased weight. Yes a hatchback would be nice, but with the rear seats folded down, there is enough space for runs to Home Depot and Costco. I test drove a MYP thinking it would blow my mind, it was fine for what it is, but I looked forward to getting back in my SR+ 😉

I have three reasons to prefer the Model 3. It has more range. It is more fun to drive. It is less expensive (This may not be true at this moment, but I am sure it will be true again soon).

The Model Y does not have enough space for me to not want a true utility vehicle. A trunk is safer and just as useful 99% of the time and when it isn't the Y still isn't big enough.

Reactions: pikeman
I just hauled a 32x80” interior door in my MY. Seated folded and only front passenger seat pushed forward half way, with the door angled so it sort of sat over the centre console and on passenger side behind front seat.

Brilliant :)
Halving said this, my other car is a 22’ M3 LR /boost and it is by far my favorite to drive! Handling king. The Y has utility but the 3 is sheer pleasure!

At today's current prices the Model Y is a no brainer, even though I enjoy driving my 3 a lot more. You can get the Y long range cheaper than the 3 standard range (out-the-door pricing including the federal tax credit)

or '24 SR Y cheaper. but LR Y is a better value.

I still like the way 3 looks. I wish Y had a different front or an aftermarket modifier to make it less "bulbous"

I still like the way 3 looks. I wish Y had a different front or an aftermarket modifier to make it less "bulbous"
It’s pretty much the same? I see a ladies car and a man’s car.

IMG_1865.jpeg

The front of the M3 and My look like a mazda3 and the back of the MY looks like a vertically bloated M3.
Both ugly cars IMO but I love the tech and power - so will forgive the design studio (musk!).
Yea, NOBODY bought a Tesla M3 or MY for looks and style.