Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why choose Model 3 over Model Y if you can have more trunk space?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MYP now and thinking about buying a M3 because:

1. It will be my 70 mile commute M-F
2. It gets better efficiency and range and lower Cd.
3. Faster
4. Center gravity is lower, hence better handling, cornering, high speed stability etc.
5. Track Mode

Things that I wish the M3 had:
1. HEPA filter system
2. Megacasting for Front and Rear frames

Reactions: dhrivnak
Better get those windows tinted so no one steals your booty. Arcade plushy theft is no joke. At least, I'd rather not come back to a smashed window because of a stuffed pikachu.

Do not F with Tata, we left him behind for security ...

IMG_6636 2_1920.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: oreobbq and nate704
We've had our Model 3 since July 2018, having reserved it way back in the mad rush in 2016. The Model Y simply wasn't a thing yet.

We have been stymied a number of times by things we can't fit in the back because of that 17-inch vertical clearance under the shelf. So we dream and drool from time to time about an upgrade to a Y.

It's interesting several of you report poorer handling in the Y. We're both pretty conservative drivers, not going to the track and such, so I wonder whether we'd care. That is, do you only really notice the handling difference when doing edgier maneuvers?

Also, a bunch of you mentioned ugly. Now, that's interesting. I think all four Teslas look essentially similar, but most especially the 3 and the Y. (The Cybertruck will shatter the pattern.) Obviously the Y is taller overall, with a bigger nose and ass. But I've found so many people can't even tell them apart unless they're side by side. So I guess I'm okay on the ugly index. The handling I want to know more about, though.

And then there's towing. The Y is rated to drag up to 3500 pounds around. We've been thinking of a small 2-person camper trailer. That'd go nicely with a Y. And when we're not doing that, we could have a hitch-mounted bike rack to take our bikes on adventures, like we used to with our old Prius.

So we're still thinking. Maybe the electric F150. ;)

PS: our 3 is in the Tesla hospital in Bend at the moment, and we have an X as a loaner. Now that is a big car! It barely fits in our garage, and it's way taller. But it was great when we had three grandkids in car seats last weekend!

I think the same. Many times when 3/Y is in the rearview mirror, I have to stare for a while to figure out if it's the 3, or the Y. The rear is the tell tail since it has the large plastic area on the bottom of the bumper which I don't care for.

In any case, I felt the same - only wanting the Y for the hatch vs trunk. But now that we picked up the Rivian, the 3 will be fine for a 2nd car (although for now, we sold it just in case better options come available at the start of next year). For now, we just have the Rivian and will wait to see what best options we have to buy come next year. Now the Rivian storage is crazy with a covered bed, gear tunnel, frunk, under seat storage, etc. lol

It's interesting several of you report poorer handling in the Y. We're both pretty conservative drivers, not going to the track and such, so I wonder whether we'd care. That is, do you only really notice the handling difference when doing edgier maneuvers?
I’ve had a decent amount of seat time in both the M3P (my actual car) and the MYP (my dad briefly owned one). The handling is noticeable in street conditions. The Y feels much less planted, driving on curvy roads is not confidence inspiring at all. The dampers just don’t seem very well tuned for the car, with the body oscillating after negotiating a turn. If you live in an area that has curvy roads with lots of back to back turns, it just feels like the body is bouncing all over the place. This is true even at normal, legalish speeds. The model 3 feels much better controlled in comparsion (but in fairness, in this regard it still falls behind its European ICE counterparts).

My suspicion is this all comes down to the compromised that had to be made when essentially just using the Model 3 platform but lifting it. The model X by all rights should handle even worse than the model Y, but it doesn’t. And I think that comes down to the X being designed from the ground up just like the S and 3 were.

Before ordering the M3, my 13 yo son and I test drove back to back M3P and MYP. I thought the suspension of the MY was not sorted nearly as well as the M3. My son found the back seat legroom and shoulder room to be a wash between them. You do get more headroom in MY. So I felt the passenger room to be essentially equal.

Cargo room of course is much better on the MY. However, rear visibility is much worse on MY due to the hatch glass shape. I spent a very long time trying to decide which seating position I preferred and decided on M3, but it was close.

The next part of the equation to me is what is the purpose of this vehicle? Mine is for commuting and kid activity hauling. We have a van for longer trips and big cargo hauling. Added all that up and M3 was a better fit for me.

Reactions: Hyperion M3P-
The next part of the equation to me is what is the purpose of this vehicle? Mine is for commuting and kid activity hauling. We have a van for longer trips and big cargo hauling. Added all that up and M3 was a better fit for me.

And the 3 will still store a ton, especially if you're talking about bags, luggage, medium sized coolers, pillows/blankets, etc. We took ours to The Keys, so that's the 3 of us (14 year old in the back).

Frunk had all our road trip / charging supplies: pump, tire patch kit, TMC, extension. the trunk had our medium sized cooler (plus dolly), our 3 rollers, a large backpack with extra odds and ends, a big storage tub with our snorkeling gear/towels/floats, a full sized SUP board (deflated in a bag with another pump, oar), the back floor had our smaller cooler and the daughter had her extra backpack (with her electronics). We also stopped for supplies, got snacks, drinks, beer, all went into the trunk.

Reactions: Hyperion M3P-
It's not actually smaller, it's much taller, in fact even taller than Model Y (at 63.9"). That's going to bring all the negatives of a Model Y that people brought up.

A Model 3 wagon instead would keep pretty much the same height, just extend the cargo area back.

the polestar 2 is definetly a smaller car. yes its taller/an suv but its more akin european lenght/width. The Model 3 dwarfs it - its not just that the 3 is a bit bigger, the polestar 2 is also just a retrofitted ICE Volvo so has less interior space than it would have as a proper EV.

If you compare them side to side its just a smaller car. SUV, yes, but smaller.

We have been stymied a number of times by things we can't fit in the back because of that 17-inch vertical clearance under the shelf. So we dream and drool from time to time about an upgrade to a Y.

And then there's towing. The Y is rated to drag up to 3500 pounds around. We've been thinking of a small 2-person camper trailer. That'd go nicely with a Y. And when we're not doing that, we could have a hitch-mounted bike rack to take our bikes on adventures, like we used to with our old Prius.
Almost exactly. I would prefer to drive a Model 3. However, when it is time for an addition to the stable, a Y is going to be a strong contender. Our gear camping is just far more difficult to load in the trunk space on the Model 3, and eventually we will probably shift from a (large) tent to a trailer. Since the vehicle that usually hauls extra people and crap ends up being mine. a Y would make a lot more sense than an additional Model 3. Although in a couple of years some options like the ID.4 may be worth considering as well - they will be for the same reasons.

I initially order a MYLR. Few weeks after that, I rented one on Turo for a long weekend trip. I came back and order a Model 3 LR 18" wheels after driving the Y.

Reasons:
The 3 drives better
Better efficiency
More comfortable ride
It looks pretty outside (personal preference) and somehow the inside looks better too even though its the same. I guess the cabin space makes the Y look a bit different.
Faster than MYLR and nearly as fast as MYP if I add AB (acceleration boost) while having better efficiency and better handling.
I don't need the extra space
It sits lower so a bit more of a sporty feel. If you like more of an SUV feel, you will not enjoy the 3 as much.

If I needed the extra I would do the MYLR but I wouldn't be happy.