Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why choose Model 3 over Model Y if you can have more trunk space?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yaya we all want a long wheelbase and hatchbacked version of the model 3 to get the ultimate driving machine.
Unfortunately Elon isn't heeding haha.
Honestly I'm a little surprised that the Model Y became so popular in Asia and in Europe.
Even the Model 3 is considered big and difficult to park in those countries.

I suspect that if the Model 3 was a hatchback, the Model 3 would be more popular than the Model Y.
Anyway, what most customes are looking for, especially in Asia and Europe,
is to find a smaller and more affordable 4 doors hatchback EV, such as the future Tesla Model 2/Q.

It’s all about having options and what your priorities are. If you want fast, nimble, and efficient go with the 3. If you are ok losing those items, and need adults to fit in the back for longer trips, more cargo space, and highier ride height the Y is your answer.

I personally started with a 3 in 2018, moved on to a Y in 2020 when we consolidated to one vehicle, and finally even swapped that for an X earlier this year. They have all been amazing but all have their pros and cons.

3 RWD in Canada, Quebec, I receive 13 000$ incentive from the Government of Canada (5000$) and Quebec (8000$). Model Y none was available. It was around 35 000$ more. It was no brainer. We took the 3 RWD.

Family of 4 (kids of 2 & 4). Enough space for 2 weeks vacation and if needed we have a Thule box for those camping adventure, etc.

Don't need a big car !

Reactions: tm1v2
Honestly I'm a little surprised that the Model Y became so popular in Asia and in Europe.
Even the Model 3 is considered big and difficult to park in those countries.

I suspect that if the Model 3 was a hatchback, the Model 3 would be more popular than the Model Y.
Anyway, what most customes are looking for, especially in Asia and Europe,
is to find a smaller and more affordable 4 doors hatchback EV, such as the future Tesla Model 2/Q.

While it is true that the Model 3 is considered a reasonably sized car even in Europe cars have gotten a lot bigger over the last few years (i.e. look how big the 3 series now is. It even dwarfs the model 3 now when before the 3 series was actually kinda smaller) the usual target group who would buy a Tesla has more money so they want to drive bigger cars, even in europe.

And tbh the problem with the Model 3 is that it doesnt have enough rear legroom for passengers compared to lets say a bmw 5 series. So if you often have i.e. older children in the back you are a kind of forced to buy an S or a Model Y... I said this before and imho the Model 3h has this designflaw on purpose. The whole car should just be 4-5cm longer for more rear legroom... but I think it is designed like it on purpose to sell more Model S.

And tbh the problem with the Model 3 is that it doesnt have enough rear legroom for passengers compared to lets say a bmw 5 series. So if you often have i.e. older children in the back you are a kind of forced to buy an S or a Model Y... I said this before and imho the Model 3h has this designflaw on purpose. The whole car should just be 4-5cm longer for more rear legroom... but I think it is designed like it on purpose to sell more Model S.
The Model 3 and the Model Y have basically the same wheelbase of 113" or 2,88 m.
I suppose that the rear seats are about the same distance from the front seat.
One difference is that the Model Y seats can be reclined a little bit.

In the case of the 7 seats, the second row can slide, so it is possble
to move back the second row up to the third row when there is no passengers.
This nice but you need to buy the 7 seats $3k option.

But the big difference is that the front seats of the Model Y are raised up from the floor of about 8".
This gives a lot of clearance to put your feets.

Model Y Raisers.jpeg

In the case of the Model 3, the driver seat is a bout 4' from the floor.
However, the front passenger is only 2" above the floor, may be to give more head room.
So there is very little room to put your feets.

The Model 3 and the Model Y have basically the same wheelbase of 113" or 2,88 m.
I suppose that the rear seats are about the same distance from the front seat.
One difference is that the Model Y seats can be reclined a little bit.

In the case of the 7 seats, the second row can slide, so it is possble
to move back the second row up to the third row when there is no passengers.

But the big difference is that the front seats of the Model Y are raised up from the floor of about 8".
This gives a lot of clearance to put your feets.

View attachment 851630

In the case of the Model 3, the driver seat is a bout 4' from the floor.
However, the front passenger is only 2" above the floor, may be to give more head room.
So there is very little room to put your feets.

The Model Y has more leg room which is even superior to the Model S.
Measurements are all subjective because it depends how you measure. The reality is that the Model Y is slightly longer than the 3 and that the seats are on stelts which raises the seat and hence increases the relative seat angle to the knees which increases legroom further. And on top of that you can put your feet underneath the seat whereas in the 3 that is just not really possible.

Really what you want is a lower power, smaller battery model S. That's fine. Please don't take away one of the only small (ha! still huge!) cars left in the world, sir.

Reactions: CreoUCLA
I love how the 3 drives but the non-hatchback became a non-starter only after a few months of ownership and I kept the Y instead.

Eventually I traded the Y for a BMW i4 which is exactly what the the 3 SHOULD be. A hatchback with a more comfortable suspension and an upscale interior (even better audio and quieter ride are bonuses).

I love how the 3 drives but the non-hatchback became a non-starter only after a few months of ownership and I kept the Y instead.

Eventually I traded the Y for a BMW i4 which is exactly what the the 3 SHOULD be. A hatchback with a more comfortable suspension and an upscale interior (even better audio and quieter ride are bonuses).
I read recently that Elon Musk was talking of a future Moldel 4 (or 'For', or 'Four' ?) smaller that the Model 3, but with a hatchback?
Does some one has more info about it?

Otherwise it was very deceiving that the Model 3 was a Sedan and not a Hatchback like the Model S and the Model X.
I beleive that at that time Tesla was targeting the BMW 3 Serie Sedan and the Audi 4 customers.
However, other EVs with similar size or even smaller like the Hyundai Ioniq had a hatchback.

20160317_Hyundai_Ioniq_2.jpg

I saw recently a patent from Hyundai making a hatchback with a sliding tailgate,
may be something that Tesla could had designed and called it a sliding Falcon-Tail Gate to allow for easier loading!!!

Sliding Falcon Tail Gate .jpg

I doubt that Tesla will make any change to the Model 3, even if using a single rear casting instead of more than 90 parts would save cost.
But I think that if the Model 3 had a hatchback, it would outsell the Model Y.
In fact the new Polestar 2 has a hatchback and is a dircect competitor to the Tesla Model 3.

The new factory in Germany don't have any line for building a Model 3, so there is certainly plan for a smaller Tesla hatchback there instead.

Reactions: voxel
When I got the Model 3, the only SUV option was Model X but it was over budget and probably too big. But Model Y came out later and I thought it would have been nice to have more trunk space because I go snowboard sometimes. And also I play at the arcade and win more tickets than the average customer, so sometimes I may not have enough trunk space for all the plush and toys I may clean out. My arcade friends we do day trips or vacations just to hit up arcades and win everything we can, and we need space for all the plush and monopolies. And they usually ask me to drive because the Model 3 is more economical to drive when driving to arcades 1-2 hours away, and in exchange my friend will offer to win me tickets on my card so I can win double tickets in the same time frame.

I did get to test drive a Model Y once at the Tesla store. While it's bigger and about same price as a Model 3, I felt the Model 3 (which I own) is a better driving car if space is not an issue. It was kind of high, which I didn't like, I like the Model 3 height to be low to the ground. Is getting a Model Y make sense just to have more space, will you forgo anything not going with Model 3? Will a Model 3 be a more fun car to drive?
Because the Model Y is ugly?

Based on sales it seems people prefer the Y. I wish there was a 3 wagon or hatchback version but I doubt that will happen. A small hatchback may be in the works. We will see in a year or two I think.
In Germany, the Model Y LR is cheaper than the Model 3 LR (57k Euro vs. 59.5k Euro or 2k Euro lesser)
However, the Model Y Perf. is more expensive than the Model 3 Perf (65k Euro vs. 63.5k Euro, or 1.5k Euro more).

May be there is more competition between the VW ID.4 and the Model Y than the Model 3,
thus explaining what seems to be a discounted price for the Model Y?

Here is an analysis of this situation in this video:

When researching vehicles, I test drove the M3 & MY. As an older driver, I found the MY seat height to be perfect for entering/exiting the vehicle. Ended up buying the M3 because I felt the MY handling was too flabby. Additionally, I did not like the view of the "ring" in the rear-view mirror.

I'm wondering if there will be an upswing in MY orders if the cybertruck pricing is too prohibitive...

Reactions: skiwhmts