Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you cancel your Model 3 reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 is beautifully shaped and price is real good, but after seeing the length of the car visually compared to Model S, I think it's just too small for me (I'm more used to 5-series BMW and had to sell my M3 convertible because it was small and low).

So I'll just look to buy an S or another X.

I think we will see more of this as the 3 goes into production. Almost all reservations were made without actually seeing the product in person and the one we have seen in pictures isn't even final. Some won't like the final interior, some will realize the car is too small for their family, some will realize when they option it the way they want it will be out of their price range, some will realize the wait is longer than they anticipated, and so on. I think it would be interesting to have a current reservation count but I think they will keep that under wraps until after reveal 2 when Elon seems to think we will see another reservation surge.

I was about to cancel my reservation until I drove my buddies Model S. I would recommend anyone who is on the fence on their reservation to test drive a model S. I know its not going to be the same but its going to be close enough. I have test drove all the other EV's out there and nothing compares to the Model S or what Tesla is capable of producing.

Well, bit of a necro-post, but I went ahead and canceled my reservation. Not for lack of desire to buy the car, but because a brand new car in the $35,000 range was a stretch for my wife and I, and being fiscally irresponsible for a car isn't worth it to us. (Reserved @ 10pm PST for the obvious and inevitable but not-really-relevant question.)

For now, I'll have to sit this out and hope that a couple years after it's released, the resale value is in the low to mid 20s so we can consider it. But for the moment, paying down debt and putting away more for retirement need to take precedence. I'm hoping in ~18-24 months, I can pick up a used 130+ range Electric for cheap to tide me over. Whatever I end up with, my next car absolutely will not be an ICE.

Well, bit of a necro-post, but I went ahead and canceled my reservation. Not for lack of desire to buy the car, but because a brand new car in the $35,000 range was a stretch for my wife and I, and being fiscally irresponsible for a car isn't worth it to us. (Reserved @ 10pm PST for the obvious and inevitable but not-really-relevant question.)

For now, I'll have to sit this out and hope that a couple years after it's released, the resale value is in the low to mid 20s so we can consider it. But for the moment, paying down debt and putting away more for retirement need to take precedence. I'm hoping in ~18-24 months, I can pick up a used 130+ range Electric for cheap to tide me over. Whatever I end up with, my next car absolutely will not be an ICE.
Good for you! So many people stretching to buy Teslas when they shouldn't on this forum. Tesla is not a money saving car.

I've heard some great reviews about this. The New Ioniq from HyundaiUSA It might be an option..

Reactions: Genshi

I'm in the same situation. I've thought about it and I'd rather own the machine that makes the machines - TSLA. As they grow and the sp rises it will be hard to resist cashing out to buy the M3, but if things work out the way Elon described it I might be able to pay off my mortgage instead which would be a much better outcome.

Reactions: Weezer Fan

Keep in mind that the M3 is actually 27,500 assuming you reserved early enough to qualify for the tax credit. By going the used route and betting on the resale you won't be able to take advantage of the tax credit.

Keep in mind that the M3 is actually 27,500 assuming you reserved early enough to qualify for the tax credit. By going the used route and betting on the resale you won't be able to take advantage of the tax credit.

I know you mean well, but this has been beaten to death. If you're in a position where getting a $35,000 (plus tax, title, registration and delivery) vehicle is a stretch, you also may not even be in an income bracket where you could take the full benefit of the tax credit.

Everyone's situation is different, but telling people the cost of the car is "basically $27,500" is fundamentally flawed.

The tax credit comes at the end of the year, IF you qualify.

And you're not going to be financing or paying sales tax, property tax, or insurance on a $27,500 car.

For some people, the tax credit is a given, and moving the money around is just a matter of getting on your phone and making a few clicks.

For others, it's life-altering to get to that point, and those people shouldn't be overreaching.

I haven't cancelled my order yet, but I'm getting really close to it.
Here are the reasons:
1. Tax credits - If they're expired, I can't rationalize paying full price. Of course, tesla gives us no real info about where we are in line, so it's impossible to know what tax credits to plan for.
2. Build quality - I keep hearing horror stories of squeaks and rattles in teslas- my biggest pet peeve in nice cars. Especially new ones. I would be so angry in a 45k 2018 Tesla that rattled like a 1993 camaro.
3. No buttons - I'm sorry, but touchscreens are not automatically better than buttons. I know this is blasphemy in the tech world, but it's the truth. A sunroof button should be on the roof. The seat adjustments should be on the seats. A volume KNOB should be on the stereo. It's basic product design. Some things can't be improved by changing them into something "NEW!"
4. Center console - still hate it. Needs a driver instrument cluster.
5. Scaling up problems - I have a hard time imagining tesla will be able to fix all the bugs in these cars as fast as they're discovered, and there's going to be a ton of them on the road - meaning service appointments will be a nightmare. And the large number of these will also mean long lines at chargers.
6. No hatch back - planning for babies soon, and cant imagine getting strollers in and out of that trunk very easily.

So now I'm starting to lean toward a used hybrid SUV. It'll cost half the price and not have any of those issues. I really wanted this to be my next car, but it seems like Elon doesn't want me as a customer.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
2. Build quality - I keep hearing horror stories of squeaks and rattles in teslas- my biggest pet peeve in nice cars. Especially new ones. I would be so angry in a 45k 2018 Tesla that rattled like a 1993 camaro.

Coming up to three years and no rattles. But no one comes here and posts "No rattles"

3. No buttons - I'm sorry, but touchscreens are not automatically better than buttons. I know this is blasphemy in the tech world, but it's the truth. A sunroof button should be on the roof.

Don't like the screen? Use the button and scroll wheel on the steering wheel. Much easier than reaching above your head to control the sunroof. I'm a constant sun roof adjuster and Tesla has done it right.

The seat adjustments should be on the seats.

They are.

A volume KNOB should be on the stereo.

Stereo? Those are going the way of the turntable. What's the need for a stereo? How do you get Slacker and Tunein on a stereo?

There is a KNOB -- well technically a scroll wheel and it's on the steering wheel - just the other side of it from the one you adjust the sunroof, fan, etc. with. I much prefer to adjust the volume with the scroll wheel on the steering wheel than reaching over to a stereo. I don't use the screen to adjust the volume either but it's convenient for my wife and looks to be located for the passenger.

I could go and on and with your comments but you lost me on " Needs a driver instrument cluster."

The future is sleek and minimalist but far more user friendly and easily accessible. Get used to it. Better yet, go test drive a Tesla and you may just find yourself very surprised. But be careful, more than a few went to just test drive and ended up buying.

Last edited:
... until the Tesla Master Plan (part deux) comes to fruition.
Uncharted territory, and we're talking about an addition that costs (at the moment) roughly $10,000 extra. Making up the difference plus the fraction of the car that's "unwise" would be a tall order potentially, given we have zero details as to the how & when from Tesla, and the as yet nonexistent government guidelines that will likely vary by country.

I've heard some great reviews about this. The New Ioniq from HyundaiUSA It might be an option..

I was looking at that too. Wouldn't rule it out....

Agreed - and that was factored into my decision to even reserve. In fact, it drove the reservation because if I was going to have ANY chance of getting that, I'd need to make sure we were in that first round of reservations if it has ANY bearing on the delivery, which it may not...

I know you mean well, but this has been beaten to death. If you're in a position where getting a $35,000 (plus tax, title, registration and delivery) vehicle is a stretch, you also may not even be in an income bracket where you could take the full benefit of the tax credit.

Everyone's situation is different, but telling people the cost of the car is "basically $27,500" is fundamentally flawed.

The tax credit comes at the end of the year, IF you qualify.
Agreed completely - I try to make that distinction when I talk about it too. We DO qualify, but if one of us were to lose a job or take a pay cut, it would quickly start cutting into this.

I haven't cancelled my order yet, but I'm getting really close to it.
Here are the reasons:
1. Tax credits - If they're expired, I can't rationalize paying full price. Of course, tesla gives us no real info about where we are in line, so it's impossible to know what tax credits to plan for.

I really wanted this to be my next car, but it seems like Elon doesn't want me as a customer.
I agree with this point, and that's where I am too. And I know it feels kind of personal at times, especially when you do want it that badly, but hopefully our time/car will be sooner rather than later, too.

Coming up to three years and no rattles. But no one comes here and posts "No rattles"

But MANY people come on here and complain about all the squeaks and rattles. So it's your experience vs dozens of theirs.

"Don't like the screen? Use the button and scroll wheel on the steering wheel. Much easier than reaching above your head to control the sunroof. I'm a constant sun roof adjuster and Tesla has done it right."
Nothing is easier than physically reaching for the physical element your brain wants to adjust, unless you are physically disabled in some way, because that's the way we are wired when we're born. Cycling through menus and settings is never easier than reach, grab, and twist, which you can do without taking your eyes off the road.

"The future is sleek and minimalist" according to who?
Tesla is becoming like apple - killing features people like in favor of telling them what is "better", and often isn't. Making my phone 1mm thinner and more minimalist isn't worth getting rid of a headphone jack. Making my laptop 2mm thinner wasn't worth killing the CD drive. Adding USB-C didn't force them to kill every other port on the machine, yet they did. Forcing everyone to buy adaptors for new ports isn't worth "sleek and minimalist".

And is there anything "minimalist" about having a giant touchscreen in your face at all times, that can never be turned off? I have screens in my face all day long. Driving is an escape from that - a kinetic physical experience between me, the car, and the road, now there's another glowing ghostly screen that never shuts off.

Last edited:
Reactions: AssortedBread

But MANY people come on here and complain about all the squeaks and rattles. So it's your experience vs dozens of theirs.

"Don't like the screen? Use the button and scroll wheel on the steering wheel. Much easier than reaching above your head to control the sunroof. I'm a constant sun roof adjuster and Tesla has done it right."
Nothing is easier than physically reaching for the physical element your brain wants to adjust, unless you are physically disabled in some way, because that's the way we are wired when we're born. Cycling through menus and settings is never easier than reach, grab, and twist, which you can do without taking your eyes off the road.

Tesla is becoming like apple - killing features people like in favor of telling them what is "better", and often isn't. Making my phone 1mm thinner and more minimalist isn't worth getting rid of a headphone jack. Making my laptop 2mm thinner wasn't worth killing the CD drive. Adding USB-C isn't worth killing every other port on the machine. Forcing everyone to buy adaptors for new ports isn't worth "sleek and minimalist".

And is there anything "minimalist" about having a giant touchscreen in your face at all times, that can never be turned off? I have screens in my face all day long. Driving is an escape from that - a kinetic physical experience between me, the car, and the road, now there's another glowing ghostly screen that never shuts off.
A lot of the things you're complaining about you knew when you made the reservation. If these things you didn't like before you made the reservation, then why did you reserve in the first place?

A lot of the things you're complaining about you knew when you made the reservation. If these things you didn't like before you made the reservation, then why did you reserve in the first place?

Because he likes to complain about things he has no idea about -- like there's no controls on the seats, it's easier to reach over your head to adjust the sunroof than on the steering wheel or screen, it easier to control the volume with a knob on a "stereo" than a vastly superior entertainment system you can turn up and down with a scroll wheel on the steering wheel, and the list goes on and on. There's few people who adjust the volume, fan, sunroof, etc. more than me. I've also owned a number of different vehicles (and then put aftermarket lockpics in them to control things locked out while driving). Tesla has by far the best and most user friendly controls. Don't like the bright screen? (either do I when driving dark highways at night) - simple: Screen cleaning mode and it goes black. Some people also go full screen mode and bookmark this site:
TeslaTap Dark Page
To think I'm the "rattle" exception is just plain bizarre. Rattles are the exception, not the rule. But he'd be better off in another vehicle fulls of knobs and dials and thankfully Elon Musk is not gearing the vehicle towards those people's last century preferences.

Tesla is becoming like apple - killing features people like in favor of telling them what is "better", and often isn't. Making my phone 1mm thinner and more minimalist isn't worth getting rid of a headphone jack. Making my laptop 2mm thinner wasn't worth killing the CD drive. Adding USB-C didn't force them to kill every other port on the machine, yet they did. Forcing everyone to buy adaptors for new ports isn't worth "sleek and minimalist".

And for every person like you, there's someone like me, who doesn't need cd-roms, and have bluetooth audio, and would rather swipe than find buttons. If you don't like Tesla's design decisions, then don't get it. There isn't a gun to your head, and advocating for features that you like means taking away from features that others like me prefer. Just recognize that you're opinion might not represent the majority or even a significant minority.

No. No it isn't. Since you wont get the tax credit until you file your taxes for the year you buy the car, it could be well over a year until you actually get the credit. You will still need to pay for the full price of the car, plus, taxes, delivery, all of your options, and any documentation fees. The tax credit will not, in any way, offset the price of the car. Yes, once you receive the credit you might be able to pay down any amount you financed and then refinance it, but it's probably be at a higher rate at that point.