Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you cancel your Model 3 reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm now inclined to buy a used M3 a few years after general release, but I reserve the right to be amazed at the car in early 2018 and decide to buy new. In the meantime I've decided to take advantage of the generous Colorado tax credits* and buy a used LEAF this month and a Prius Prime when my order arrives early 2017.

*I think I will be able to swap our Honda Fit and Prius Vagon for the LEAF and base Prius Prime for a net cost of ~ zero. I'll DIY install PV in the spring, and for the next couple of years be net ~ zero in carbon and use 50ish gallons of petrol a year. Oh, and save around $1000 a year from my PV after it is paid off in 3-4 years.

Why did you reserve in the first place ?
Two reasons: I am ready to go long range electric for my car, and I want to support Tesla's industry disruption. I actually made the reservation without even looking at the 3 reveal, so basically sight unseen. When I actually thought it through I came to my conclusion about body style, particularly after seeing the initial trunk opening. I held on for a while when there was the talk of the redesign of the cargo entrance ( like Tesla Model 3’s trunk opening is bigger on production version than on prototype, says Elon ) but the latest renders and mules still don't have a big enough cargo opening to really feel right. I would have preferred to spend the smaller amount for the 3 as the S is twice what I've spent on any previous car. It's also a great car so I'm coming out of this just fine, and Tesla is getting my money earlier instead of later.

And I thought the most recent pictures floating around were a newer one. If that's inaccurate the trunk lid might be bigger, but it's still a trunk.
I believe Elon has confirmed it will be a trunk, but with a wider opening. There have been no photos of this rendition yet. If you were looking for a hatch, you found the right vehicle in the Model S.

Reactions: Red Sage and JeffK
I thought all the vehicles we've seen so far were the ones at the reveal - has there been an example presented to the public with the redesigned bootlid as yet?
Yeah, the only two on the road are the silver and matte black (that anyone's confirmed seeing anyway). They haven't put any out there that have the new trunk (which would probably also have the new interior). Once they show us the final car, we'll see test cars driving around before initial orders head out.

In fact, Electrek reported on this in August.
Tesla Model 3: Tesla is ordering enough parts for a fleet of ~300 prototypes

Reactions: Red Sage
Yeah, the only two on the road are the silver and matte black (that anyone's confirmed seeing anyway). They haven't put any out there that have the new trunk (which would probably also have the new interior). Once they show us the final car, we'll see test cars driving around before initial orders head out.

In fact, Electrek reported on this in August.
Tesla Model 3: Tesla is ordering enough parts for a fleet of ~300 prototypes
minus the ones used for each crash test...

remember...they did a fantastic job of hiding the Alpha mules from the public.

I have no doubts that there are Betas indoors in Fremont.

That's the great thing about EVs: you don't need to spend as much money on an indoor testing facility, because you don't have to worry as much about ventilation.

well, yea, there are plenty of great things. I was just trying to keep it to the context of keeping your pre-prod mules away from prying eyes.

Let's face it, I'm pretty sure Tesla fans are way more in-tune about upcoming products than Ford or Chevy.

:p
Sorry, my vague joke was also about testing indoors. You wouldn't need as much space for a car that reaches 60.. oh, never mind. :)