Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you cancel your Model 3 reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And that's perfectly fine. No one expects that now. But tell us what you can, don't be evil.

That's not the case according to Tesla which encouraged people to wait in line at stores to get a better position in line. If you drove your Tesla S to a store on the West Coast, waited in line and got your order in March 31 you should have priority.

But that priority is not sorted out yet.

All anyone has, all anyone is asking Tesla to share, out of the 373,00 ordered what was my order number.

Call it a token of appreciation for the order and the $1,000.

637.gif

I'm out.

Ultimately, the reservation order is largely irrelevant because the issue is that in the real world it will look a lot more like flying.

I'm in Group 2 because I was early to order my plane tickets from Raleigh to Carsville on the day they became available, so I'm right after Group 1! Yay!

Group 1 is, of course, Tesla Airlines employees that get to board the plane first.

But, while you'd think I'd be next because 2 comes after 1, that's not actually the case because TAL West-Coast Rewards Platinum Members get to board before my group does. So really I'm only near the front of the line after they all go through.

*smacks forehead* Of course! I forgot about the TAL Repeat Flyers Rewards Members, who get called to board next. So... I guess I've gotta wait for them.

Whew. Glad that's out of the way, now it's my turn to board.

OH! Except that I am in Economy Class (with a refundable ticket, at least). Gold Preferred Options Business Class is spending extra for Ludicrous Boarding Mode and probably in-flight WiFi or something, so they get to board before Economy Class.

Alright! FINALLY I get to go! I was near the front of the line when I ordered, so this is where my reservation number really counts. Sure, the plane is already half full as I get to my seat, but I get on before most of the other people in Group 2, so that's something at least.

After that, Group 3 (post-reveal orderers) and Group 4 (May-through-now orderers) who weren't already a West-Coast Rewards Platinum Member or Gold Preferred Options Business Class buyer get to go. They get on just moments before the flight attendants close the doors and the jetbridge pulls away.

:D

Haha. OK. I'm able to identify exactly one person who thinks this matters. Tesla's doing the right thing.

Well two actually. @aviators99, the OP who has an S and a privileged position who canceled over the lack of transparency with the order number, and myself.

As for the 75,000 reads and 500 commenters on the threads obsessing about where their order is in line, you might identify a few more there but then we all see what we want to see.

It would be interesting to see how many of the 8,000 Tesla 3 cancellations were because the $1,000 deposit didn't seem to buy a spot in line.

Actually very relevant since $7,500 Federal Tax credit ultimately depends on where someone is in the T3 order line and how Tesla honors that position.

To clarify: relevant for actually determining useful order/delivery/how-it-affects-you-in-real-life/etc. information with any level of accuracy. *snippiness pre-removed*

It will surely be relevant. But not now. Not until a majority of pre-orders have gone through the Model 3 Design Studio and they can do a statistical analysis on how highly-optioned vehicles push out non-highly-optioned.

Last edited:
It will surely be relevant. But not now.

Since the number based on when you ordered the car is the only one that exists right not, it is relevant right now. It's the only number Tesla can share with its customer base right now.

People keep getting into convoluted statements on how Tesla can't tell when you'll get your car etc. etc. Everyone knows that. No one is asking for that. I think people deflect to these other topics because they are trying to justify Tesla not being customer friendly in sharing the numeric list.

Simply show the list based on the only information available, when was your order placed.

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher
People keep getting into convoluted statements on how Tesla can't tell when you'll get your car etc. etc. Everyone knows that. No one is asking for that. I think people deflect to these other topics because they are trying to justify Tesla not being customer friendly in sharing the numeric list.
No, people just don't see why it matters. You've taken both sides of the argument - either it indicates delivery timeframe, or it doesn't. I am of the opinion that it's going to imply a delivery timeframe that isn't realistic for some people. I've been through this before with the X, and this forum has plenty of threads about Signature vehicles (S and X).

To satisfy one or two people by telling them a number that we agree means nothing... what's the point?

The evil thing to do would be to raise false hopes. I'm glad they're not being evil. These aren't excuses, this his how customer facing businesses who care about their customers work. You're suggesting something very bizarre, which is why you're getting the feedback you're reading.

Dear lord I actually started writing a real reply to this. You know what? Nothing satisfies quite like an emoji shrug.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Topher
No, people just don't see why it matters.

Chuckle....all those threads of people of obsessing over what the RN's numbers mean and how it relates to where their order is in line and how they were 1st or 50th in line at the store says otherwise. Even the handful here defending an indefensible position likely care or they would not have put down a deposit.

People went and waited in line at the stores why?

What did Tesla tell them would be their reward if they went to the store vs. waited for the online ordering system the next day?

As the OP asks, why did 8,000 people cancel their orders?

You've taken both sides of the argument - either it indicates delivery timeframe.

There's only the facts, no "sides".

1. Tesla says when you ordered will be a major factor in when you get your car. It will be the difference maker all things being equal. I should get my T3 first since I ordered on April 1st while my buddy at work ordered his last week. My other co-worker's boyfriend should get his before me as he was online at 12:01 April 1st to order his while I didn't order mine until late that evening. None of us work for Tesla or have Teslas or any other mitigating factor. I might sneak ahead of the boyfriend if I significantly out option him (not likely).

2. Tesla can only tell us now where our order is numerically. It should do that. Fun for the customers since the orders were such a phenom, let the customers know where they are in the phenom....and good customer relations.

Might still happen.

Last edited:
If Tesla released your number, let's say you were 1000, and you banked your tax credit and maybe the options you got on your car off it, and based of the options you picked being limited, you ended up 4000 in line, you would be angry. I'm sure this would make many people angry. Once people with higher numbers get cars before others because of the options they got, more people then the few concerned about a number in an imaginary line, will be speaking out.

Waiting in line still gives you priority. Just because you don't know exactly how much, doesn't mean it was for nothing. If you couldn't take the chance with your $1000, you should never have waited in line.

All that being said. Cancel if you've lost faith. All the better for the rest of us.

A person is smart..... people are not.

So you feel Tesla 3 buyers are not smart people. An interesting viewpoint but I'd disagree with that, Tesla disagrees with it also, it even thanks buyers and says they made a smart decision, it's just that Tesla does not follow up it's statement with actions like telling the smart Tesla buyers a fact that Tesla could share with them...what was their number in the order line.

So you feel Tesla 3 buyers are not smart people

A person can make a smart decision to purchase an EV. People as a whole will be angry when they don’t get there way. If Tesla gives people a number, they will expect to get that number of car. When they don’t they will start rage posting and cause others to rage post regardless of any previous stipulations.

It could be a PR nightmare. Why take the chance of giving pointless information.

As the OP asks, why did 8,000 people cancel their orders?
I dunno... maybe because they wanted a mustache, or a hatchback, or Falcon Wing doors, or a Model S instead, or a Model X instead, or a Chevy Bolt instead, or disliked the floating monitor, or lost their jobs, or their spouse chastised them for wanting to buy a new car, or many of those were extraneous/frivolous orders canceled by Tesla? Any number of possible reasons other than just not knowing the sequence number.

Reactions: Gilzo and ohmman
People as a whole will be angry when they don’t get there way. If Tesla gives people a number, they will expect to get that number of car. When they don’t they will start rage posting and cause others to rage post regardless of any previous stipulations.

You of course would not do that but THOSE PEOPLE would. Classic.

When companies distrust their customers, nothing good happens.

But putting up $1K for a place in line and then being told there's no line would be much more plausible especially since we have a threat started by a current S owner who did exactly that.
It is your prerogative to focus solely on a reason with which you are fixated than to entertain the possibility that the reasons may be various and wide-ranging. Simply stating the same things repeatedly in post after post will not enhance the strength of your position with others. You're going to believe what you believe, so there's no point in trying to convince you otherwise. Likewise, you shouldn't keep trying to convince others that yours is the only valid position. Give it a rest.

Last edited: