Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you cancel your Model 3 reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's pretty much always unwise to rely on stocks for income, especially with it being an election year and with events like Brexit.

Unless you truly NEED it, I'd say the 1000 investment with the potential tax credit, assuming you have the income in 2017 or 2018 tax years, would make it more than worth it. You have nearly a year and a half to find a new job (six months to have a job before 2017 tax year assuming 2017 delivery).

If you cancel your reservation you're getting back your $1000, but potentially losing thousands especially if you intend to purchase the car someday anyway.

Sorry to hear things did not go your way. I certainly learned the lesson years ago about "all the eggs in one basket". It's easy to get wrapped up in a companies stock, when you love the product. Re claiming your $1000 is a smart move, there will be plenty of cars available, you can get one with the 'bugs worked out".

Understood. I knew it was a gamble but I was also confident that in the long term Solarcity would succeed, and I would be rewarded with a Model 3, though maybe not by launch. I could have gotten a much smaller, safer return going the conventional route of diversified portfolio and mutual funds, but a very heavily shorted Musk related stock that will soon become profitable was a gamble worth taking. I didn't count on Tesla swallowing it up on unfavorable (for me) terms. I still want the car but may not be able to afford it in time to receive the tax credit so spot in line may become irrelevant for me.

If you can't spare 1k for a reservation to buy a 35k minimum car then you shouldn't be buying the car IMO.

You're right, conventional wisdom says I have no business aspiring to be a part of the Tesla gentleman's club. I put down my $1k reservation on reveal day which was also my last day at work. Even with my hourly pay from that job I was never going to afford to make payments, but I was one "tsunami of hurt, SCTY style" away from paying cash for a nicely optioned 3. It was never more than a calculated risk. As soon as I'm employed I will begin saving again since I obviously won't get anywhere near $35k with stock gains any time this decade. On the off chance the merger doesn't go through I might still make it to at least the point where I can afford to make payments, so I'll have to decide if I want to keep the reservation or step out of line to return later when I can pay cash. I saved up most of the down payment on my condo working a crappy retail job during the great recession (a much lower paying job than the one I just lost) so I'm confident I will have my Model 3, it's just a matter of when.

Reactions: SageBrush and Max*
I One of the things that kept me going while waiting the three years was knowing my reservation sequence number. That's why I canceled my pre-order.

I think its a valid reason. And Tesla is developing some hubris as far as the customers are concerned. It would have been very easy for Tesla to give out sequential numbers based on ordering date/time. It would be fun and informative for the buyers especially considering how it took off. As for the caveats that West coast first and options first affecting the delivery, buyers would be OK with that, stating the rules up front.

Instead Tesla chose to treat the buyers as a problem not a partner. Tesla was worried about Tesla, people making an issue of their place in line, vs. the satisfaction and fun that buyers would have with the numbers especially with buyers committing to such a long wait for the car. The Tesla hubris conflicting with the long term commitment of the buyers is likely to be a factor in the Tesla 3 having higher cancelation rates than the S or X.

Tesla could easily fix their customer trust problem and assign a meaningful order number and even give the customers a play tool where you plug in your location and options and see how it affects your place in line. Adding in the usual legal caveats that it didn't guarantee anything but was for display purposes only.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jaff
Tesla could easily fix their customer trust problem and assign a meaningful order number and even give the customers a play tool where you plug in your location and options and see how it affects your place in line. Adding in the usual legal caveats that it didn't guarantee anything but was for display purposes only.
I think you've got it backwards. Caveat or not, people will set expectations based on sequential reservation numbers, play tools, etc. Tesla has learned (is learning?) that they've upset their customers over the years because of poor expectation management. Your suggestion appears to be that they completely unlearn that lesson.

My opinion is that the "fun" from this exercise would be dwarfed by the customer frustration when deliveries begin.

Reactions: SageBrush and Jaff
My opinion is that the "fun" from this exercise would be dwarfed by the customer frustration when deliveries begin.

Not if Tesla plays by the rules it layed out.

On the other hand, we see customer cancelations over the lack of transparency. There is the base fact that all orders are in a sequence. Tesla is already frustrating customers by trying to hide that sequence. Tesla is bragging about the number of orders and those of us who ordered and made that possible have an expectation of being treated honestly and like adults. Everyone gets the order preference caveats (West coast, current Tesla owners, more options). We all saw that when we signed on.

People should be able see their place in line based on their parameters. Good customer relations and good marketing. "Hey I can move up three months even if I'm East coast if I order the tow package and air suspension". Everybody wins.

Never an excuse for treating customers badly and in this instance, Tesla is treating customers badly.

Reactions: Forza 11 and X Yes?
What number are you in the order due?
What does it matter? Tesla has said that the order they're doing things is not by "reservation number," it's doing it by geographical location. Plus they're ramping up production quicker than they originally planned, in order to accommodate the unexpected high numbers of reservations. This isn't treating customers badly, it's bending over backwards to make people happy.

Reactions: SageBrush and Jaff
Not if Tesla plays by the rules it layed out.

On the other hand, we see customer cancelations over the lack of transparency. There is the base fact that all orders are in a sequence. Tesla is already frustrating customers by trying to hide that sequence. Tesla is bragging about the number of orders and those of us who ordered and made that possible have an expectation of being treated honestly and like adults. Everyone gets the order preference caveats (West coast, current Tesla owners, more options). We all saw that when we signed on.

People should be able see their place in line based on their parameters. Good customer relations and good marketing. "Hey I can move up three months even if I'm East coast if I order the tow package and air suspension". Everybody wins.

Never an excuse for treating customers badly and in this instance, Tesla is treating customers badly.
Tesla does not have the resources to predict delivery time with that certainty. All having a reservation sequence number did was cause a lot of hand-wringing. And as for delivery time predictions, when they turn out incorrect, disclaimers are completely worthless (since people tend to ignore those). People have an expectation and then major disappointment. That leads to a bad customer experience. Tesla seemed to have learned that lesson.

Tesla does not have the resources to predict delivery time with that certainty. .

No one is asking for "certainty", after all these are all people who put up money for a produce they know they will not see for year or two.

What people are asking for is some honesty and transparency on where there order is in a list not when their car is being delivered.

Putting money up for an undefined product TWO YEARS OUT is a bit of a leap of faith. Tesla should certainly return that customer confidence with honesty and transparency. Tesla brags about that customer confidence and loyalty, even sells it to investors but does not return it.

All anyone is asking is for a simple fact. "Based upon the timing of your order, your order is number 193,233. Actual delivery date is subject to the terms of conditions noted in your deposit".

Last edited:
What people are asking for is some honesty and transparency on where there order is in a list not when their car is being delivered.

The very biggest argument against allowing customers to know their order is that certain customers don't realize after being told multiple times that it's simply the reservation order and not representative of the order in which they will receive their car.

This causes all sorts of issues. For example, just look at the whining taking place in the token of appreciation thread. People are crying about how they stood in line and people across the country got their Model 3 drawing first. Who cares?!

The best thing in the world is to keep reservation order placement a secret. Transparency is Tesla telling investors how many preorders they have, which they do. Any customer can get a general idea on reservation number and delivery date based on geographical location and reservation date. That should be good enough.

But other's do care and, as noted in this thread, people have canceled over the lack of transparency. And this an existing S customer who went through the same early order process on the S in which he got a number that reflected the fact of when he ordered the car.
You keep using the word "people" an making claims of things....and you have no links or proof. Where's your proof?

It didn't take long to get my MS. 3 weeks. Its been a great experience for me.

Where is your proof? Where are your links to all of the people who hate Tesla?

But other's do care and, as noted in this thread, people have canceled over the lack of transparency. And this an existing S customer who went through the same early order process on the S in which he got a number that reflected the fact of when he ordered the car.
Do you really think that Tesla is going to tell folks exactly when something is going to happen...as we go forward? No. Maybe they don't know exactly when things like delivery is going to be. Elon already posted that 3rd party vendors will be the hangup of delays occur.

Why are you soo angry? Get your money back and cancel your reservation if you don't like what Tesla is doing. Simple.

Reactions: Jaff and X Yes?
You keep using the word "people" an making claims of things....and you have no links or proof. Where's your proof?

It didn't take long to get my MS. 3 weeks. Its been a great experience for me.

Where is your proof? Where are your links to all of the people who hate Tesla?
images_zps6lkld6sh.jpg

As much as I like the company, I still can't figure out why people were so gung ho about making reservations for a vehicle so far from production. That tax rebate doesn't seem to be a strong enough incentive to me, or I should say, it wasn't strong enough FOR me... I intend to buy a Model 3, but I'm not interested in being an early adopter.
You are a prime candidate for the 60 S

Reactions: Garlan Garner
This is the correct answer ... the token of appreciation for the Model 3 is a perfect example of a cluster :cool:

The very biggest argument against allowing customers to know their order is that certain customers don't realize after being told multiple times that it's simply the reservation order and not representative of the order in which they will receive their car.
This causes all sorts of issues. For example, just look at the whining taking place in the token of appreciation thread. People are crying about how they stood in line and people across the country got their Model 3 drawing first. Who cares?!

The best thing in the world is to keep reservation order placement a secret. Transparency is Tesla telling investors how many preorders they have, which they do. Any customer can get a general idea on reservation number and delivery date based on geographical location and reservation date. That should be good enough.

Pretty convenient, don't you think? Deflecting blame in advance.

It's not deflecting blame if past experience bears it out.

If I am going to a football game with a friend who bought season tickets and he forgets to bring them there's nothing I could have done to prevent that. We're screwed at that point. That's why Musk wants to be able to manufacturer parts in in house if necessary. Basically saying, "I have a spare ticket if you forget again."