Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you purchase a Model 3 and what were your other options?

Before you decided on a Model 3, what comparable vehicle were you comparing to?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought my first car in 1972 - the M3 is my 4th car:
  1. 1972 Datsun 510 wagon - RWD
  2. 1986 Nissan Stanza wagon - FWD
  3. 2001 Audi A4 Avant - AWD
  4. 2018 Tesla M3 - AWD EV
Prior to the M3's announcement was considering a BMW X1. However, day after the announcement placed our reservation, waited from 3/31/16 - 9/12/18 for delivery - never looked back:)

Reactions: abasile
I ordered “2” model 3’s on 1st day online...
coming from performance ICE vehicles
I knew I wanted the AWD perf+ 3,
I passed one of my orders to a less
than patient friend in MAR, then waited,
waited and waited somemo....

sold my last ICE perf vehicle in APRI was about
ready to just just solve my limited transportation
needs on the cheap with either i3 (just missed a
3 yr $59/mon lease?!?) bolt or leaf, but those are
just enough “clown cars” in appearance I waited
somemo...

when the configurations opened up in late JUN
I was so over the process, I merely checked all
the boxes, then ran into some challenges with
fremont wanting full access to titling trust, didn’t
think they budge, but showed up on delivery date...

$$$ won over fremont’s trust requirements, as I
was über ready to head home from delivery...

it wasn’t till the drive home that it hit me I’d waited
and spent wisely, as a P3D+ could be satisfying
enough to make me never look for another car!

I knew I wanted my next car to be a fast RWD or AWD sedan with a nice interior and adaptive cruise. We were finally going to get rid of my wife's 2005 Prius (which I hated).

I didn't really decide to get one until early December. Though I'd been trying to pick the perfect car for months, I was pretty certain I was going to end up with an Alfa Guilia, a Volvo S60 or a Genesis G70. But I drove a friend's dual motor and was suddenly looking at the possibility of needing to start to commute long distances to work some time in 2019. So getting access to the car pool lane was important.

My first-drive enjoyment, the tax credit, the HOV lane access and my wife's strong desire to not get an ICE vehicle made it a no brainer in the end. And I took delivery by late December. I love driving it.

I knew I wanted a Model 3. If money was no object, I would have bought a Model S in 2012. However, my wife and I are relatively frugal and could not see spending that much on a car. I was a Day 1 reservation holder and by the time we could get the car, the lease was already up and extended on our e-Golf. Going back to ICE was never even considered since we had already been all electric for 3 years with cars that had only up to 120 miles of range. I really could not be happier with the RAV4 EV and the First Production Model 3 LR.

I made my reservation day 1 so I could pontificate how great it would be for a couple of years.
Ordered it to only wonder if I ordered right, changed my order 3X to still wonder and ask others doing the same.
Waited for sales advisors and VIN to show up like others.
Had delivery changed like others too.
Took delivery so I could credibly complain like others.
To tint/not to tint, to xpel/not to xpel, and 50 other odd such things.
Free Supercharging vs $5,000 like the others.
Love it like the others.

Day 1 Reso, Reserved 2 cars thinking we would take delivery of both eventually but decided 1 was enough as I have my work truck (2008 Ford 250) but I have to say driving that truck just makes me sad after driving the 3.

Got the RWD LR in April to replace my wife's 2014 535d that came off lease in July so the little woman (she is only 5'1") had to drive my 2013 VW Passat dirty diesel for many months and she was not a happy camper in that car, she kept trying to talk me into another BMW lease.

She had many reservations about a "Battery powered car" but after a 5 minute drive in her new car it is a favorite for both of us and why we are at almost 16k miles already, the truck only moves when I have to haul materials that won't fit in the trunk (I'm a general building contractor) or on street sweeping days, rarely do I have to run errands in the truck.

Last edited:
Reasons:
1. No more visiting gas stations!
2.Fed credit + CA rebate
3.tired of driving stick shift in CA traffic (my old car)
4. EAP

I was not a car person, and I didn’t plan on paying 60k for any car. I was expecting for a 45k car when Elon first announced. Nevertheless, I’m very happy with the car.

Replacing a 2004 Infiniti G35. With two kids, our family was considering the XC60 with Pilot Assist.

We justified the Model 3 for 1. The safety it offers, and 2. The calmness it grants on the commute. We plan to live in the city (Chicago) another 5 years, and Model 3 is great in the city. For my 60-mile round trip commute, it is a miracle. Even with only Enhanced Auto Pilot, it destresses. The whole concept of the Model 3 is autonomy. The Model 3 is a leap towards the future of transportation.

When I test drove the XC, it felt like a great car. Maybe I'll want one of those in the future. Having grown up in Southern California, I totally understand the need for control. Doubtful I would want the Model 3 if we lived in California.

In 5 years, we'll see what happens when we move to the suburbs.

I was coming from an Audi S4 manual...quick, fun to drive, fit two car seats in the back, and driving a manual was fantastic. My wife had leased a leaf because of her commute and we recently turned it in. I wanted something with a little more space but wasn't going to find that with a stick shift. I test drove a S6, and despite the power, I didn't think it was that quick. The M3 blew it away in every sense. More or less same dimensions as my S4, but generally more room, and just more fun to drive.
Did you glue a stick shift to the console in the M3? :D

• Love
Reactions: NeverFollow
tldr: there was no other options

Long Story:
I'm an EV-4-LIFE kind of guy. Previous cars in my signature.

I seriously debated getting a Bolt EV as an interim vehicle in 2017 while Tesla ironed out their build quality issues and I had serious questions about affording a Model 3 (after recently spending $100k on a home remodel). I ended up finding a way to afford it so I could claim the tax credit this year, and my wife convince me to go big or go home with the Performance Model 3. I figured it would be the last chance to spend on myself before starting a family and all the expenses that would entail.

Wife has a C300, I've tested BMW 328i, i3, sat in 5 series, E class. I've been in higher end vehicles in auto-shows but all the frills didn't interest me as much as a solid electric drive-train coupled with software updatable vehicle.