Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you purchase a Model 3 and what were your other options?

Before you decided on a Model 3, what comparable vehicle were you comparing to?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3 has for me the meat of what I always missed in an automatic vs standard transmission. It is like a standard transmission that is always downshifted. To an extent that even CVTs I've come across aren't.
My Leaf was the first car I ever owned that didn't have a shiftier (five previous ICEs to that.) I've been driving 100% electric for seven years now. I pretty much suck at driving an ICE now. I tend to give to much gas at first because it isn't moving then I surge out like bat from hell and scare everyone. Not conducive to people trying to drink coffee. :D

I test drove the
Mercedes CLA
Jaguar XE
Alfa Romeo Giulia
Volvo S60
Acura TLX
Audi A3

It came down to the Jaguar, the Alfa Romeo and the Tesla. I ended up with the Tesla for the technology and continuous upgrades.

The Guilia is a great looking car. Does it drive well? I wouldn’t give up the 3 but I always do a double take when I see one in person.

I have always pondered buying an S/X. Almost got a Model S during the great firesale of 07 (I think, last year of AP1) but couldn't do it. Pre ordered the 3 thinking I might need another car by the time it was released. When it was, i still didn't need a car. Bought it anyway. Never test drove anything else.

I considered these vehicles:

-BMW M2
-Porsche Cayman
-Genesis G70
-Audi S5
-Mercedes Benz 2019 A series

They were all compelling and the Model 3 didn't blow them out of the water either. Lots of things I wish the model 3 had those other competitors have:
-Interior quality of Porsche
-Voice control like the MB
-Fit and Finish of the like
-dynamic suspension
-360 camera
-HUD
-Adjustable Bolsters on driving modes
-Power Liftgate

But above all else, above the OTA, AutoPilot, Glass Roof, Acceleration, the reason why the model 3 was chosen over all of them..
It's the only car in the list where I can drive it hard, get those exhilarating drives in, but also drive it slower and get way way better range than the ICE vehicles, especially in the city.

No matter how delicately I drive an M2 or a Cayman, it's never going to give me 100 mpg.

Reactions: dww12
The Guilia is a great looking car. Does it drive well? I wouldn’t give up the 3 but I always do a double take when I see one in person.
It did drive really well, I thought the Jaguar did as well though. Of course I was coming from a 2010 Corolla so my basis for comparison was pretty low. The biggest thing on the Giulia was the really pronounced floor height transition, even more noticeable than the one in the model 3. If it had been as comfortable to drive as the Jag I may well be driving that now instead of the 3.

I was ready to order a 2019 Acura NSX or wait for the mid engine Corvette, because I'm more of a 2 seat car person. California's gas tax and Sacramento's permanent sales tax increase swayed me to get the Model 3. Still have a 6 speed manual Acura NSX-T and a 2016 Volt.

We were not looking for a car. We were fine driving a Civic and an Accord. Then I read about the enhanced auto pilot (EAP) and talked to a friend who knows a lot. Bought the model 3 for the EAP, the range and the environmental responsibility. EAP is a singular overriding feature which has no real competition. EAP can dramatically reduce the stress of driving.

I was looking for a performance car so I considered the Corvette, Alfa Romeo 4C, BMW M3, and Porsche Boxster but I really wanted a BEV and Telsa was the only viable option. So I got a Model 3 Performance + and don't regret it for a moment. The fact that it can be driven in all seasons also helps.

I've been driving EV's for over 5 years and just couldn't bring myself to go back to a gas car. So I was only looking at EV's or PHEV (reluctantly due to the lack of EV selections):

Jaguar I-Pace
Volvo XC60 T8
Hyundai Kona
Nissan Leaf

The problems I found with any of the options were:
I-Pace - insane lease numbers - they presented me with $1400/mo lease with $5k down. I laughed and walked out
XC60 - not as nice inside or ride as compared to XC90 and the plug in range is just pointless
Kona - I haven't seen it in person but after I saw it compared to the Bolt (size wise), it was a no go for me...waaaay too small
Leaf - not quite enough range for what I want in an all EV car

So, a few days before year end, I ended up ordering the MR and got it within a few days, just before the 31st. I'm happy with my decision.

Howdy,

I'm a car guy.

I had a 2012 A7. Stage 4 tune, 475 hp to the wheels. Smoking hot car. Although not as fast off the line as my M3P (the one with red brakes).

It had 150k miles. Engine light was on. Engine lights in Audi's can be as innocent as an 02 sensor, or worse. Really hard to know.

Winter was coming. Didn't want to invest in tires. Was getting tired of putting money into the car.

My profile pic pretty much says what I stand for. I wasn't going to buy another ICE car.

I don't have F#$% You money. The S 100 with my config. was a stretch. In a serendipitous moment, one night late last August I was cruising Tesla's site, trying to make my S config work. I really wanted a freaking Tesla.

When I found the M3P I was like, "Say what? Holy smokes! This car rocks". I first brushed off the 3, thought the minimalist design was weird. Then I went to Denver and sat in one. The while seats were La Bomba, the minimalist design was perfect. The price was right when factoring in the tax credits and what not. Hey man, I can join the EV revolution!

We have a HIPEVAN for the dogs and what not, so the fact it was a little smaller than the A7 wasn't an issue. We don't take up much room.

Ordered one.

We love the car. Depending on what happens with the 019 refresh, I might sell it and get an S. The refresh would have to be a must-have reason why.

Totally dig the car. Some issues, fo 'sho. But I knew that when I clicked order, even thought that's not evident in the first part of this post:
M3 issue in the Colorado Mountains

If I do sell it, the cost rationale would go out the window as my pitch to the old lady was based on keeping the car 5 years. Now that the old lady is a Tesla chick, I think I can close another deal with her.

The car kicks arse. I'm not ready to say it's a full on mountain car, though. We'll see after I get my 18 setup on. I think the car with 20" snow tires is better than an SUV with all season tires, but that's not saying much. All season tires are good for all seasons but winter.

There's gotchas people need to be aware of.

Like if you live in remote areas, or you can't charge at home.

The 310 range thing misleads people. Range needs to be calculated on a 90% charge and not dropping below 10%. People need to get that an electric car battery is just like a cell phone battery - when it gets too hot or cold, it doesn't work as good. Most I talk to don't. They also don't get that road conditions and weather affect range. I guess brother Elon left that up to us Teslians?

I'm not suggesting the gotchas are reasons not to buy. Just sayin' people need to be 10-4.

Peace and love,

Reactions: dww12
I’ve had my 2012 Nissan LEAF bought new in Feb, 2012 so I’ve had the EV experience for some time now and like it. I also have been pretty disappointed in LEAF offerings over the years with their minimal range increases so never really thought I’d get another one. In 2018 the Bolt with its 200+ mile range debuted but dealers near me were not keen on actually getting one so never saw it. I did want another EV but with sufficient range to be an ICE replacement for me, and the Model 3 is just that. Now if it just had a heated steering wheel...

I had wanted an EV for a while but couldn't give up my c6 z06. Then my wife and i were expecting our first child and i became a day 1 reservation holder. My build and delivery date were too late to make it in time for the new baby so i unfortunately sold the z06, cancelled my reservation and got into a toyota trd pro tacoma to keep for the long haul; it was the opposite of my z06 in every but it could handle my outdoor activities and serve as a baby hauler. fast forward a year and the speed itch had returned, with all the driving i do for work i convinved the wife to buy a model 3, it's not as violent nor visceral as my z06, but i can carry my growing family and satisfies the speed itch quite well. Bonus, no more gas! The TRD pro taco is now a weekend toy. I did briefly consider a bmw m3, since i've had bmw's in the past and my wife currently drives a x5 x35d that we love the range and power on but the backseat was smaller and the EV life was something i wanted to be a part of. No regrets

Was considering a 18' BMW 340i with not too many options. Also seriously considering a X2, but the drive was stiff and laughably slow!

With all the semi autonomous options I added to my M3 I spent much more than anticipated, but it's nice not having to worry about gas, let alone 91 octane.

Also, driving Tesla has taught me how bad of a driver I really am! Seems I make stupid decisions at least once a day.