Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does FSD keep changing lanes all the time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I'm on the freeway, the Full Self Driving keeps wanting to change lanes for no valid reason. It almost feels to the point that it's going to piss off other drivers thinking I'm the one who decided to change lanes all the time but don't realize it's the autopilot doing it. I like to just let the Tesla do it's thing and let it always be right but it does change lanes more than I like,. I much prefer the normal autopilot where it just doesn't change lanes.

It only makes sense to change lanes if the car needs to exit but the car could just change lanes for no reason. Sometimes it goes into the carpool lane or a lane that's near a bunch of cones or walls and I just rather not let autopilot be driving at full speed near a wall. Or it will brake really hard while doing a lane change, sort of like phantom braking.

Sometimes I just disengage it because it will just keep changing lanes non stop and one time it tried to change lanes at a high rate of speed. If any Tesla hater or anti self driving type person was in the car with me, they probably be pissed off and hate on the car. I used to be a huge advocate on the autopilot and I forgived the car if it did phantom braking because I know I can just take over very easily, but why does it have to keep changing lanes all over the place on the freeway?

Reactions: whisperingshad
Depending on which model you have, you can access the Minimal Lane Changes option by pressing the right scroll wheel left or right. This also changes the following distance profile (Chill, Average, Assertive). Note that Minimal Lane Changes doesn’t eliminate all unnecessary lane changes, but it does reduce them.

Reactions: Yelobird
When I'm on the freeway, the Full Self Driving keeps wanting to change lanes for no valid reason. It almost feels to the point that it's going to piss off other drivers thinking I'm the one who decided to change lanes all the time but don't realize it's the autopilot doing it. I like to just let the Tesla do it's thing and let it always be right but it does change lanes more than I like,. I much prefer the normal autopilot where it just doesn't change lanes.

It only makes sense to change lanes if the car needs to exit but the car could just change lanes for no reason. Sometimes it goes into the carpool lane or a lane that's near a bunch of cones or walls and I just rather not let autopilot be driving at full speed near a wall. Or it will brake really hard while doing a lane change, sort of like phantom braking.

Sometimes I just disengage it because it will just keep changing lanes non stop and one time it tried to change lanes at a high rate of speed. If any Tesla hater or anti self driving type person was in the car with me, they probably be pissed off and hate on the car. I used to be a huge advocate on the autopilot and I forgived the car if it did phantom braking because I know I can just take over very easily, but why does it have to keep changing lanes all over the place on the freeway?
It changes lanes for the same reason humans do: to get there faster.
If you don't want it to behave like That Guy change the assertiveness mode.

It changes lanes for the same reason humans do: to get there faster.
If you don't want it to behave like That Guy change the assertiveness mode.
It also has reasons to change lanes for "safety" reasons, such as moving out of the rightmost lane. I live on Chill and still have to enable Minimal Lane Changes because it inevitably seems to find a reason to move around.

Depending on which model you have, you can access the Minimal Lane Changes option by pressing the right scroll wheel left or right. This also changes the following distance profile (Chill, Average, Assertive). Note that Minimal Lane Changes doesn’t eliminate all unnecessary lane changes, but it does reduce them.
Spot on. Also note If you want to be in the slow lane you have to set your speed accordingly. Many drive on the highway with their speed set to 70 in the slow lane wondering Why it keeps changing lanes. The car is simply trying to accommodate your request. If the cars in that lane are doing 55 you have to set your speed to that lane and it generally will stay put. Otherwise it will continue passing to achieve your set speed.

If you never watch the BS YouTube fanboy videos and ignore the BS dropping of the term Beta, your concerns will disapppear. This software is still eons from being reliable. We are test drivers. BTW for those of us who are married, many of our wives are smart enough to realize how stupid we are for being test drivers. My wife, for example, never uses FSD on either of our cars. It’s good to have one smart member of the household😀

• Funny
Reactions: fholbert and DCEV
Spot on. Also note If you want to be in the slow lane you have to set your speed accordingly. Many drive on the highway with their speed set to 70 in the slow lane wondering Why it keeps changing lanes. The car is simply trying to accommodate your request. If the cars in that lane are doing 55 you have to set your speed to that lane and it generally will stay put. Otherwise it will continue passing to achieve your set speed.

I thought you couldn't set the speed in FSDS. It chooses the speed based either on the limit (if you turn Auto Speed off) or on its interpretation of what is safe for the current traffic conditions.

I thought you couldn't set the speed in FSDS. It chooses the speed based either on the limit (if you turn Auto Speed off) or on its interpretation of what is safe for the current traffic conditions.
You can set the speed if you don’t use the auto speed setting, but the car won’t go at that speed in many cases even if it’s safe to do so. I started using the auto setting because it works better for me.