Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does FSD run so many red lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, FSD Beta hasn’t run any red lights for me, but I’m sure it happens. This is one of numerous issues that need to be fixed in order to reach full autonomy. Like many others here, I believe that’s years away, assuming it can even happen with the current hardware suite. Unlike many others here, I’m not bothered by that, since I never expected it to happen sooner, despite Elon’s wildly optimistic predictions.

With very large complex intersections or intersections at non-perpendicular angles, the system can think the wrong light or no light is controlling its lane.

Not entirely sure how this would be solved without relying more heavily on map data as training to properly assign lights at odd angles etc introduces new room for error. The system needs to understand the configuration of the full intersection.

Reactions: DrChaos and KArnold
This. Happened to me - FSD 11.4.4 Runs Red Light

If you can see cross traffic lights when stopped and first in line - be very careful. It's a somewhat serious bug IMHO.
Yeh I've noticed this across different iterations over the years and you'll see it particularly when the intersection is at an odd angle, anything significantly off from 90 degrees can throw a wrench into the light vs lane assignment.

Makes sense when you think about how the system is trained using video clips etc, most intersections being simple crosses with right angles and pretty standardized light positions

2 years on FSD but never ran a red light. I suppose if the car can't see it I couldn't see it so not sure what to make of the thread.
It's a legitimate question.

Tesla said your car will make money by picking up fares while you are busy at work or sleeping at home.

Thus, if it keeps running red light, will the $500 ticket for each incident cut into the profits?

This guy states it's been happening for 2 years.
He demonstrates it on 2 versions.
There are plenty of other examples
What doe this say about 'FSD' & robotaxi potential?

Maybe current FSD is coded by humans.

Elon said during the FSD12 demo:

"There’s no line of code that says slowdown for speed bumps. So, it’s doing this based entirely on video training”.

Coding by humans can be faulty.

There's also been talk about the camera fps vs the frequency of led traffic lights. Every so often the frequencies can match or be close enough that the car thinks there is no light or that it's blinking. I recall they tried to mitigate it, but I'm not sure of the outcome.

It's a legitimate question.

Tesla said your car will make money by picking up fares while you are busy at work or sleeping at home.

Thus, if it keeps running red light, will the $500 ticket for each incident cut into the profits?
This version is definitely not for a ride share or robotaxi so no of course the point is moot.
But if it's really L4 or 5 it would be on Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: legendsk

This guy states it's been happening for 2 years.
He demonstrates it on 2 versions.
There are plenty of other examples
What doe this say about 'FSD' & robotaxi potential?
In over a year of using FSD almost every day, I've only had it mishandle a red light once. This was in downtown Washington, DC where the lights are on the side of the road. It stopped properly, but tried to proceed as if it were a stop sign.

99.9% of the time it has been flawless (for me).

This version is definitely not for a ride share or robotaxi so no of course the point is moot.
But if it's really L4 or 5 it would be on Tesla.
Since the question from this thread is "Why". Your answer is: because it is the wrong version.

Thus, why does this wrong version run a red light, and how the right version will not run the red light?

It's only about 3 months left before 2023 is over:

Reactions: legendsk
I have seen different versions:
1) It thinks it’s blinking red and takes off if you are the first car in the lane.
2) tries to follow straight lane while I am at the turning lane
3) one lane highway ramp ignores the flow control light.

I've had it do this one. It was not a particularly complicated intersection. It's between a semi major 4 lane road and a minor two lane road. I was on the 4 lane road. It pulled into the left turn lane and stopped at the red arrow. Then after a moment it just decided to go! It was a huge surprise as I'd never had it misinterpret a light signal before, but I hit the brakes before it moved very far. Could it have been repositioning itself for some reason? Possibly, but it's not a thing to chance. There would be no pressing need to reposition in any case until the arrow went green.

This is on an intersection I travel very regularly. It has never repeated.

With very large complex intersections or intersections at non-perpendicular angles, the system can think the wrong light or no light is controlling its lane.

Not entirely sure how this would be solved without relying more heavily on map data as training to properly assign lights at odd angles etc introduces new room for error. The system needs to understand the configuration of the full intersection.
Many of the FSDb problems, like this one and the lane choice issues many other people report, and the excessive speed limit changes, are a consequence of inadequate or inaccurate map data.

Now we see why the other L4 robotaxi companies have to do significant geographical tuning & testing: they aren't mapping every single sign with lidar like Waymo started out doing, but they're verifying that their map datasets are clean and accurate and annotated with enough information for L4 driving in the geo region in question.

Tesla doesn't even try to do this, and there is no easy way even for users to submit it, or anybody to take in such reports. It's heavy on human labor and not glamorous and that sort of project doesn't excite His Elonness.