Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Every New Tesla Now has a heat pump

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will Tesla retro fit heat pump to older models for free?

No. Where did you get that idea? The article is just talking about the fact every vehicle in the lineup now has heat pumps, not that they are retrofitting it to older cars without it.

I have never heard of a vehicle manufacturer going back and retrofitting upgrades to older cars for free.

I have never heard of a vehicle manufacturer going back and retrofitting upgrades to older cars for free.
Tesla did do free upgrades of the FSD computer for customers who bought cars within a certain time before the release of the current FSD computer. I got one of those free upgrades. That said, this was the announced policy of Tesla at the time the cars were sold -- at least, for me; maybe some people bought cars before this policy was announced and got free upgrades.

This isn't to say that free upgrades to heat pumps are in the same category; they aren't. The FSD computer is a relatively simple swap, and as I say, it was Tesla's policy to give people who paid for FSD the FSD capabilities, even if it meant hardware upgrades. There's no comparable policy for heat pumps.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Tesla did do free upgrades of the FSD computer for customers who bought cars within a certain time before the release of the current FSD computer. I got one of those free upgrades. That said, this was the announced policy of Tesla at the time the cars were sold -- at least, for me; maybe some people bought cars before this policy was announced and got free upgrades.
Totally different.

The FSD computer was designed to be replaced and is modular.

A heat pump is not just the heat pump by itself. It’s the entire system that has lines going throughout the vehicle, etc. Completely different on how the battery, motors and cabin heat/cool each other.

It’s the difference between doing a heart transplant vs replacing your entire cardiovascular system.

Will Tesla retro fit heat pump to older models for free?

Be careful what you wish for. On our 2020 MYLR, first heat pump started dying mid summer 2021 around 46,000 miles, fully died just after 50,000 and had to battle with Tesla Service to get it fixed. Then, 50,000 miles later, mid summer 2022, exact same thing started to happen. This time, Tesla quotes $4,000+ for heat pump, super manifold, and all related components. No other shop will even touch the system, including RichRebuilds associated Electrified Garage. Been without AC, Camp Mode, or Dog Mode for about 15,000 miles now. Just can't justify the cost. May eventually do it and then put the car on Turo to recover the cost.

Be careful what you wish for. On our 2020 MYLR, first heat pump started dying mid summer 2021 around 46,000 miles, fully died just after 50,000 and had to battle with Tesla Service to get it fixed. Then, 50,000 miles later, mid summer 2022, exact same thing started to happen. This time, Tesla quotes $4,000+ for heat pump, super manifold, and all related components. No other shop will even touch the system, including RichRebuilds associated Electrified Garage. Been without AC, Camp Mode, or Dog Mode for about 15,000 miles now. Just can't justify the cost. May eventually do it and then put the car on Turo to recover the cost.
Holy moley, how much do you drive??

No. Where did you get that idea? The article is just talking about the fact every vehicle in the lineup now has heat pumps, not that they are retrofitting it to older cars without it.

The OP question in this thread is pretty obviously clickbait, at least to me. Nowhere did the article say anything about that, and I the original thread title was more clickbaity before I changed it.

The heat pump requires the octovalve and some other parts, and there is "less than zero" chance it would be offered as a retrofit free. There is zero chance it would even be offered as a retrofit, but in the unlikely event that ever occurred (it wont), it definitely wouldnt be free.

The OP question in this thread is pretty obviously clickbait, at least to me. Nowhere did the article say anything about that, and I the original thread title was more clickbaity before I changed it.

The heat pump requires the octovalve and some other parts, and there is "less than zero" chance it would be offered as a retrofit free. There is zero chance it would even be offered as a retrofit, but in the unlikely event that ever occurred (it wont), it definitely wouldnt be free.
I jest, but I don’t even expect CCS retrofit for free (but I’ll take it if they’re giving it away!)

Reactions: APotatoGod
Holy moley, how much do you drive??
The smart ass in me wants to say "Not much, the Tesla does most of the driving" 😆.

But yeah, I put on a ton of miles. Wife is with me for most of it but I'm the only driver. Currently approaching 115,000 miles after 31 months of ownership. I'll include a Lifetime Map from TeslaFi for reference.

We were averaging about 50,000 miles every 12 months for the first 2 years but we've slowed our pace considerably since the AC died a second time in August 2022.

I'll also note that the car was idle due to international travel (6 weeks) or unusable due to collision repair (7 weeks) for over 3 months within those first 2 years.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 9.48.47 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 9.48.47 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 168
A/C compressor replacement on our Model S was over $3k last year, mostly labor, so unfortunately $4k for the more complicated heat pump sounds about right. The Model S A/C lasted well over 100k miles for us though.

We did have a problem with its resistive heater while it was still under 100k mile warranty, but I forget what the resolution was, I don't even remember if the heater itself needed replacing or if it was something simpler. Let's just say as an early Model S it's seen a lot of repairs over the years...

This isn't to say that free upgrades to heat pumps are in the same category; they aren't. The FSD computer is a relatively simple swap, and as I say, it was Tesla's policy to give people who paid for FSD the FSD capabilities, even if it meant hardware upgrades. There's no comparable policy for heat pumps.
Not exactly free. You had to have purchased FSD.

The smart ass in me wants to say "Not much, the Tesla does most of the driving" 😆.

But yeah, I put on a ton of miles. Wife is with me for most of it but I'm the only driver. Currently approaching 115,000 miles after 31 months of ownership. I'll include a Lifetime Map from TeslaFi for reference.

We were averaging about 50,000 miles every 12 months for the first 2 years but we've slowed our pace considerably since the AC died a second time in August 2022.

I'll also note that the car was idle due to international travel (6 weeks) or unusable due to collision repair (7 weeks) for over 3 months within those first 2 years.
I assume you couldn't claim on the warranty due to the mileage? You must have been driving all the time to clock up 50k miles in a year.

Reactions: BeansBeans
I assume you couldn't claim on the warranty due to the mileage? You must have been driving all the time to clock up 50k miles in a year.

AC started to fail around 45k. Tesla insisted it was all in my head. Fully failed just after 50k. It was a battle to get covered under warranty. They replaced only the Heat Pump. Saved me $1,300.

Exact same series of symptoms started again at 100,000.

Remote diagnostics initially said freon, Service Manager verbally quoted $250 but wanted further remote diagnostics. Final written estimate became about $4,000 to replace basically entire Heat Pump and Super Manifold system.

I flipped out on the phone. Service Manager agreed to good will in person diagnostics. But by the day of my appointment he had been transferred. From then on Tesla refused to physically inspect the car in person despite my waiting 2 months for them to do so.
I declined to deal with them further.

Took car to Electrified Garage but they were, and are up through now, unable to work on the Model Y AC system.

For last 15,000 miles Heating works perfectly and Cooling, including Dog Mode, is useless above ambient temperature of about 75-80. Works fine below that.