Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why have 2 safety features been removed from 2019.16.2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got 2019.16.2, and I'm dismayed to see that both of its important new safety features are nowhere to be found. Lane Departure Avoidance and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance were announced for this update. I know that they were included in some cars during the 16. 16.1, and/or 16.1.1 releases because I've seen videos of those Release Notes and demos of Lane Departure Avoidance.
My car is May 2017 AP2 MCU1 S75D with FSD enabled.
The two features are nothing at all but extensions of long-enabled Autosteer and Lane Departure Warning.
Therefore, can anyone give me a rational reason why they would be removed from cars that can perform both of those functions perfectly well?
Have these two safety features been removed from AP2.5 S/X and Model 3 cars in 16.2, as well?
And WHY in the world does Tesla never offer any explanation of mysterious decisions that appear, on the surface, to owners to be nonsensical ???

Are you sure the reason they have not been rolled out with 2019.16.2.x is because you already have these features? Are these only being rolled out to cars that don't have AutoPilot enabled? My initial understanding is that those would be rolled out to non-AP enabled cars only but that would have to be verified.

Are you in Europe?

I've been told that the main purpose of 16.2 was to comply with EU rules about ADAS systems, which apparently limit the permissible maximum steering angle and some other things like that.

I don't immediately see a connection between that and the features you mentioned, but there might be one.

I just got 2019.16.2, and I'm dismayed to see that both of its important new safety features are nowhere to be found. Lane Departure Avoidance and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance were announced for this update. I know that they were included in some cars during the 16. 16.1, and/or 16.1.1 releases because I've seen videos of those Release Notes and demos of Lane Departure Avoidance.
The two features are nothing at all but extensions of long-enabled Autosteer and Lane Departure Warning.
Therefore, can anyone give me a rational reason why they would be removed from cars that can perform both of those functions perfectly well?
Have these two safety features been removed from AP2.5 S/X and Model 3 cars in 16.2, as well?
And WHY in the world does Tesla never offer any explanation of mysterious decisions that appear, on the surface, to owners to be nonsensical ???

Hmm.
  • Just because Elon announces it, I think it's assume that Elon is mentioned it as a GA feature. I think we need to step back and understand that when Elon announces something, it means it's for the Early Access Program first, so until it starts to rollout as a GA release, it will be for the select few on the Early Access Program.
  • Even when it rolls out, we now know that GA does not mean fleet side. They roll out based on numerous conditions, some of which are vehicle configuration and geographic region...

I think we've all (including myself) have been thinking that everything Elon mentions should been the next available software update, but I've come to the conclusion that I'll get it once it's available for my vehicle configuration, and by configuration it's not the high level stuff that we know (AP2, MCU/1, etc...), but more deeper configuration parameters that we don't necessary see or have access to like revision of certain parts.

It says right in the blog:

"starting with Model 3 owners and gradually expanding to all cars that were built after October 2016"

I'm guessing you have an S or X?

No need to guess, I stated quite explicitly that my car is an AP2 S75D.
Thanks for the reference to the Tesla blog, of which I was unaware. Instead, I got my information from a Teslarati article here that simply stated that the features would be rolled out to "all Model 3, S, and X owners worldwide" without mentioning that it would go to the lowest-cost cars first for some unknown paradoxical reason. The explanation from the blog is not uninteresting, but we already know that from our experience of the last few days.

Rather what I'm curious about is WHY Tesla chose to roll the features out incrementally. That decision seems nonsensical at first blush because ANY AP-capable car can run these features which are nothing at all other than autosteer functioning when Autosteer is not formally engaged." There's no obvious reason why they would need to be withheld from the high-end portion of the fleet, and I'm just asking if anyone knows of a legitimate reason that's less than obvious. No one has taken a stab at the question I asked in the OP.

Just got 16.2 on my AP2.5 MCU1 X and yep, no mention of the lane change features. So, we can expect them later. Wonder if they want to get more experience with them in the 3 before the S and X get them?

For Elon saying the S and X will always have the best or better features, it’s always been weird that that hasn’t been the case. From things like this where it doesn’t look like there’s a reason to delay it, to small things like walk-away lock horn chirp (as an option) which was never added to the S and X, it’s really weird how the programming for the ‘premium’ cars has slipped.

Rather what I'm curious about is WHY Tesla chose to roll the features out incrementally.

Software development resources are finite. Tesla’s development methodology, which involves substantially short-circuiting thorough testing procedures in exchange for the quick rollout of features and testing on live subjects, is fundamentally incompatible with big-bang fleet-wise releases of new features - particularly those related to life and safety functions.

Tesla’s development methodology, which involves substantially short-circuiting thorough testing procedures in exchange for the quick rollout of features and testing on live subjects, is fundamentally incompatible with big-bang fleet-wise releases of new features - particularly those related to life and safety functions.
Well said, it scares me some of the bugs they release, almost a phone app developer mentality.
Funny though how those resource stretched time pressured programmers managed to release faultless Atari games, Fireplace simulators and fart noises.

Well said, it scares me some of the bugs they release, almost a phone app developer mentality.
Funny though how those resource stretched time pressured programmers managed to release faultless Atari games, Fireplace simulators and fart noises.

I would presume those software developers are carrying out the orders and priorities of their management.

Bruce.

Those settings are still there for me.

Sounds like 'some' reason they want the final version *with the two features) to only be on the 3. That's even weirder when interim versions were on all cars, looks like. The speed that 16.2 went full release and overwrote the others looks like that was the plan, unless someone has a better answer?

I just got 2019.16.2, and I'm dismayed to see that both of its important new safety features are nowhere to be found. Lane Departure Avoidance and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance were announced for this update
[...]
Well, you probably don't want these two new features yet based on multiple reports of dangerous false positives from the Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance:
Emergency Lane Departure - False Positives

I know I'll not be upgrading until this is addressed since you can't keep the feature turned off either.