Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why haven't you turned your Order Reservation into a Purchase/Delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For all the current reservation holders, If you haven't pulled the trigger by now on a Tesla, I'm curious to find out what's holding you back?

Here are a few of my reasonings;

1. Waiting to see what breakthrough improvements awaits with Battery Investor Day on September 22, 2020 (will we get the million-mile battery or vehicle-2-grid capability?)

2. Will Battery Investment Day impact the overall price of the car, due to rumored reduction cost of the battery pack.

3. Will Battery Investment Day have an impact on the range of vehicle I can purchase at a respected price point. ( e.g. Will there be a new configuration option to choose from, such as Ultra Long Range)

4. Current economic crisis and uncertainty due to COVID 19, upcoming Presidential elections, Stock Market, unemployment, Housing, etc.

5. Unsatisfactory quality and fitment issues with Model Y. (In my opinion, from all the negative horror stories I’ve been watching & reading, I’m more than willing to wait it out until this issue is acknowledged, addressed, and resolved.)

As a “Day 1Model Y Reservation Holder, the Tesla bug has bitten me BADLY, and I’m drinking the kool-aid like everyone else, obsessively searching for anything, and everything Tesla related online. However, these are just a few of my main concerns that I’m awaiting answers for before I can 100% comfortably transfer that much of my hard-earned money to Tesla.

I’m curious though to know what’s currently holding you back from turning your order reservation into a delivery?

I am still waiting for a heated steering wheel option before exercising my second Model 3 day 1 reservation. In the meantime my Jan 2018 LR RWD Model 3 is just fine, even without the heated wheel.

GSP

Was a RWD res holder since June 2019. Changed to AWD the day after the price reduction.

Yesterday, I turned my reservation into a "purchase" (via entering financing information) with the intent that timing it now would put delivery somewhere near/after battery day....just in case. Not sure what my expectations are that would change my plans, but who knows?

Maybe RWD models get announced for immediate production with a cost of $42k and I just can't pass that up, or maybe Cybertruck production gets pushed up to early 2021 - OR - the full Cybertruck configurator goes live, and some combination of features/options/pricing/release date convinces me to wait for that. I'm not saying any of these options are anywhere near likely, but I think something that like would have to happen for me to keep waiting longer than I already have. Of course, these are not battery related announcements, but anything could happen.

I'm definitely not as pragmatic as OP is - like, I can't conceive of what actual battery improvements would get me to wait, in terms of cost/benefit to an "Ultra-Long-Range" battery or how increased lifespan would effect resale for those Model Y owners without a million-mile battery.

Out of curiosity OP - how much more would you pay for ~500 miles of range?

Was a RWD res holder since June 2019. Changed to AWD the day after the price reduction.

Yesterday, I turned my reservation into a "purchase" (via entering financing information) with the intent that timing it now would put delivery somewhere near/after battery day....just in case. Not sure what my expectations are that would change my plans, but who knows?

Maybe RWD models get announced for immediate production with a cost of $42k and I just can't pass that up, or maybe Cybertruck production gets pushed up to early 2021 - OR - the full Cybertruck configurator goes live, and some combination of features/options/pricing/release date convinces me to wait for that. I'm not saying any of these options are anywhere near likely, but I think something that like would have to happen for me to keep waiting longer than I already have. Of course, these are not battery related announcements, but anything could happen.

I'm definitely not as pragmatic as OP is - like, I can't conceive of what actual battery improvements would get me to wait, in terms of cost/benefit to an "Ultra-Long-Range" battery or how increased lifespan would effect resale for those Model Y owners without a million-mile battery.

Out of curiosity OP - how much more would you pay for ~500 miles of range?

All totally valid reasons.

Hmm..., not certain how high I'd be willing to pay for 500 miles if presented the opportunity. I do know that it would certainly be handy for those times when towing, in cold weather and other unexpected situations. A few Tesla buddies I've talked to, each with various Model years and battery pack sizes, ALL mention the same thing when getting a Tesla, "There's an upgrade button or aftermarket option for everything else, EXCEPT RANGE, so go with the biggest battery you can afford."

Appreciate your response.

I have been waiting for two things in weighted order:

1) Marked improvement in cars produced
2) Service Center >10 miles from my home opening for business

#1 Seems to be happening more and more as of late. We have seen some really great cars being produced with almost perfect panel gaps, aligned doors and tail lights and almost perfect paint. Very encouraging!

#2 Smithtown Long Island Tesla Service/Sales Center looks like it will be opening in the next couple of weeks.

So, if the new SC near me were to open tomorrow.. I would 100% finalize my order tomorrow.

Given Tesla’s expanding product line, and given that Tesla has recently established new contracts with not only Panasonic but also CATL... they clearly need all the batteries they can get.

Thus, I don’t expect any significant battery day revelations that will effect their high volume vehicles, 3 or Y, anytime soon. Maybe we’ll also hear about the rumored 5% Panasonic improvement slated for September, but it’s unclear if Tesla will use that 5% improvement to increase pack capacity & range with the same number of batteries or keep kWh capacity & range roughly the same and reduce batteries/cost/weight.