Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I bought a SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with the two posts above and it is all down to the Supercharger availability, nothing else. A long trip around Scotland's NW500 route last October from the Midlands was easy and we used destination charging after the last Supercharger installation for the most northerly parts as most Rapids refused to work.

Now would I have stretched to a long range SR+ if it was available as was/is in the US?

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I agree with the two posts above and it is all down to the Supercharger availability, nothing else. A long trip around Scotland's NW500 route last October from the Midlands was easy and we used destination charging after the last Supercharger installation for the most northerly parts as most Rapids refused to work.

Now would I have stretched to a long range SR+ if it was available as was/is in the US?

mostly agree, but I'll also add the latest gridserve movements sound positive too. If all MSAs get reliable rapid chargers that will suit a lot of people (and of course with Tesla we have the choice of Superchargers too).

The Medium Range maybe which was a SR+ with bigger battery?

These medium and long range RWD models would be attractive to many buyers I would think. The only argument against them is that they would cannibalise sales from the LR Dual Motor and add a small degree of complication to their production line. The bumped up range of the SR+ from early models would have also been pushing into the ranges of these models.

There was a medium range version available briefly in the States.

Yes that's true, there was a Model 3 MR (Mid Range) which might've been what was referenced. Although it wasn't an SR+ and was never sold as one. I know some of you probably think I'm being unecessarily pedantic, but the point I was making was that there was not a "Longer Range SR+". Because I'm a picky Tesla fanboi.

Last edited:
In most of Europe, save perhaps a few underdeveloped southeastern countries, charger density is sufficient for the SR+, so you can get wherever you want.

Perhaps in some less densely populated parts of the US there are still stretches of road without sufficient charging stations. I would guess though that new charging stations will be erected in those areas, so choosing an SR+ will not be a hindrance in the near future.

Then the decision between the medium-range SR+ and the long-range versions boils down to charging time considerations and how often one plans to drive long distances. And perhaps the all-wheel-drive plays a role for some drivers.

One year on and I've had no range issues with the SR+ for my daily trips. I've covered 14,000 miles and it's been very cheap to run ~£250!
I've used SuC only an handful of times for longer trips. When staying away (like now) I use the granny charger. An overnight charge of 12 hrs gives 100 mile real range for the following day. It should be noted that you couldn't add more range even if you had a bigger batterty
Of course, if you have access to a 7kw charger at your destination then a LR would be an advantage but until they are widely available the SR+ is a very good option if you only have one car...

Of course, if you have access to a 7kw charger at your destination then a LR would be an advantage but until they are widely available the SR+ is a very good option if you only have one car...
I don't quite follow that line of thought ... an SR+ fills it's battery from 7kW charge point faster than the larger battery LR (of course). Obviously having more range in a LR has some advantage wherever you are, home or away.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I don't quite follow that line of thought ... an SR+ fills it's battery from 7kW charge point faster than the larger battery LR (of course). Obviously having more range in a LR has some advantage wherever you are, home or away.
I assume he means being limited to a granny charger he would have got the same amount of additional range whether he had a LR or SR+ during the 12 hours time he stayed, if the charger had been faster then he could have gotten more miles with the extra capacity a 7kw charger would bring as 7kw would get him to 100% in either.

Personally I would look for destinations that have a 7kw charger but obviously these aren't great especially with the large numbers of EVs coming on the roads.

I assume he means being limited to a granny charger he would have got the same amount of additional range whether he had a LR or SR+ during the 12 hours time he stayed, if the charger had been faster then he could have gotten more miles with the extra capacity a 7kw charger would bring as 7kw would get him to 100% in either.

Personally I would look for destinations that have a 7kw charger but obviously these aren't great especially with the large numbers of EVs coming on the roads.

Most if not all of the Tesla Destination Chargers I've used have an additional connector for other EVs. Which is not to say there is insurance against other Tesla's charging needs (or indeed EVholes and ICEholes)