Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is black $2k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any insight as to why black on the MY is $2k? The black has always been notoriously bad. Have they made it better now for the extra price?

No one really knows, but black on cars shows the most imperfections. It used to be the free color a long time ago, but so many people complained about swirls, imperfections etc, There was a lot of speculation that they swapped to white as the free color because of that.

TL ; DR = (opinion) because they dont want as many people buying black since it shows imperfections more.

I paid an extra $1500 for black on my M3P because, so I thought, it added a stealth vibe to the overall look. Well, that didn't last long. I took excellent care of the paint and always was careful to avoid swirl marks, light scratches, etc. I regret my decision to select black as it is totally unforgiving. Inevitably, the daily use and everyday driving created multiple Imperfections that stood out for a country mile. There is something about that Tesla black that makes the honeymoon end quickly. If you're the type to stress over this then I urge you to select "any" other color. I now have the midnight silver metallic on my MS and it is lightyears better. Lessons learned.

Honestly the normal paint colors (ex: white, black, red, blue, gray) should be free because they are spraying the car the same way that they do with the majority of the cars and they the paint used is made in mass. Its one thing if the request was some unique color that Tesla does not have a high demand but its really BS that there is even a charge for it.

I think white is the worst color because: a) it was free so there's a lot of white MYs out there and b) the color often does not match the bumper.
White is the worst--it cannot hide future rust. Whenever possible I always go for dark cars, just in case I keep it a while. I've seen fairly new white vehicles ruined by rust in ways that a black would still be hiding for years to come.

Reactions: bobbyjae
I think white is the worst color because: a) it was free so there's a lot of white MYs out there and b) the color often does not match the bumper.

I always get white for safety reason, because a light color more noticeable especialy for pedestrians or when looking in the rearview mirror.
Other colors get darker and less noticeable against the asphalt.

• Informative
Reactions: bobbyjae
I'm a sucker for black cars and I've yet to learn my lesson. Every single one that I've owned, especially my M3, are nightmare to keep clean

same.

every car i've owned has been black.

paid the extra $1500 for my current MY to be black.

didn't notice all the swirls and scuffs during pick up but i was shown all the imperfections before i got the ppf put on.