TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Why isn't Tesla making a built-in dashcam?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by zbarni, Feb 2, 2015.

1. zbarni

zbarni Member

Tesla should definitely add a built-in dashcam to the Model S. They could do it with a software update, because most of their cars has a rear camera and the Autopilot enabled cars also have a front camera. It'd make Model S drivers feel safer and it would make the car better. It would be just a software update. Why aren't they doing it? Where can I suggest this to Tesla?

2. tom66

tom66 Member

Not just software. No space to save files. Could use USB but the interface may not support full speed write. The Tegra may also not have video compression support. And the front camera is going to be segregated from the user interface stuff as it's a safety critical system...

3. zbarni

zbarni Member

Maybe they could do it in a few years or in the Model X. They should get a better CPU (a newer Tegra) and add a few GB of storage. I think that the dashcam feature would be also a safety critical system so it shouldn't be segregated from the front camera. I really hope they will do it in the near future... Maybe when they'll release the SDK.
    Also I've been thinking if it'd be possible for Autopilot enabled Teslas to analyze traffic around them and share the data with other Teslas. Or is this already a thing? There are just so many possibilities to improve the Tesla experiene :)

P.S: Sorry if I said something stupid. I don't own a Tesla I'm just 14 :D

4. Solarwind

Solarwind Member

zbami: I would like to see the same thing, with the camera's running on a continuous loop about 24 hrs, could be done on a removable memory chip.

5. Tony Lin

Tony Lin Member

hopefully they can come with this in the next few updates as the windshield blocks the GPS on the aftermarket cam. Perhaps, recorded file can be downloaded via 3G to tesla mobile app.