Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why isn't Tesla making a built-in dashcam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should definitely add a built-in dashcam to the Model S. They could do it with a software update, because most of their cars has a rear camera and the Autopilot enabled cars also have a front camera. It'd make Model S drivers feel safer and it would make the car better. It would be just a software update. Why aren't they doing it? Where can I suggest this to Tesla?

Tesla should definitely add a built-in dashcam to the Model S. They could do it with a software update, because most of their cars has a rear camera and the Autopilot enabled cars also have a front camera. It'd make Model S drivers feel safer and it would make the car better. It would be just a software update. Why aren't they doing it? Where can I suggest this to Tesla?

Not just software. No space to save files. Could use USB but the interface may not support full speed write. The Tegra may also not have video compression support. And the front camera is going to be segregated from the user interface stuff as it's a safety critical system...

Not just software. No space to save files. Could use USB but the interface may not support full speed write. The Tegra may also not have video compression support. And the front camera is going to be segregated from the user interface stuff as it's a safety critical system...

Maybe they could do it in a few years or in the Model X. They should get a better CPU (a newer Tegra) and add a few GB of storage. I think that the dashcam feature would be also a safety critical system so it shouldn't be segregated from the front camera. I really hope they will do it in the near future... Maybe when they'll release the SDK.
Also I've been thinking if it'd be possible for Autopilot enabled Teslas to analyze traffic around them and share the data with other Teslas. Or is this already a thing? There are just so many possibilities to improve the Tesla experiene :)

P.S: Sorry if I said something stupid. I don't own a Tesla I'm just 14 :D