Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why not buy a Mustang Mach-E?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y pros:
1. More efficient (better for planet)
2. Faster
3. Software (competitive moat)
4. Charging network
5. Proven reliable (over 1,000,000 EVs sold, cosmetic issues notwithstanding)
6. Business units capable of repurposing old EV batteries
7. American jobs
8. S3X appeal

Mach-E pros
1. Cosmetic condition at delivery (remains to be seen)
2. Ventilated seats, heated steering wheel

Another pro with Mach-E is the $7,500 rebate that you won't get with MY. Don't get me wrong...I'm a MY owner, but just trying to be impartial.

Reactions: Puma2020
Because it's slower, has less range, charges slower, has fewer places to charge...that's just offhand.
Exactly. I think the Mach E is a compelling EV. I had a reservation but canceled when I got the Y. I love Fords and I wish them luck with it but when it comes to EV, Tesla is far ahead of Ford. Doubtful Ford will ever catch up.

The Ford would be a lot more appealing if you could, without an incredible amount of planning and overnight stays, travel across the US.
This is what I keep coming back to over and over again. Every time other car manufacturers come out with an EV with pretty decent range and good looks I immediately realize that it isn't practical for trips. The Mach E, Volvo XC40, Audi Q4, Polestar 2 all look interesting but the supercharger network is THE killer feature for me w/ Tesla.

Range is the other part of the equation but if I have to do extensive planning to get anywhere then it just isn't practical for a 1 car household like mine. Pretty much any EV can be used as a city/commuter car but these cars with 200+ mi don't really increase the functionality a whole lot in my opinion without fast, reliable, and extensive chargers.

This is what I keep coming back to over and over again. Every time other car manufacturers come out with an EV with pretty decent range and good looks I immediately realize that it isn't practical for trips. The Mach E, Volvo XC40, Audi Q4, Polestar 2 all look interesting but the supercharger network is THE killer feature for me w/ Tesla.
It's not that bad anymore.
Electrify America alone got 443 stations online and 112 currently under construction and is growing rapidly: Locate a public EV charger | Electrify America
That's about half the amount of Tesla superchargers which stands at 908 locations in the US.

It's not that bad anymore.
Electrify America alone got 443 stations online and 112 currently under construction and is growing rapidly: Locate a public EV charger | Electrify America
That's about half the amount of Tesla superchargers which stands at 908 locations in the US.
Just doesn't do it for the trips I do. I'm located in Seattle and just did a week long roadtrip in my Model 3 to the Olympics, down the coast to southern Oregon and up through Portland. I plugged all of these different cars into aBetterRoutePlanner (Mach E, Audi E-tron, Volvo XC40, Kia Niro, Hyundai Kona, etc.) and the trip I took isn't possible with any of them. The only cars that can do this trip are Teslas because of the SC network.

I just don't want to be limited in any way owning an EV but everyone's lifestyle is different. If you're not intending to use the car to go to more remote areas and stick to well-trafficked routes then it may work.I will admit that the Electrify America network was more extensive than I thought but lots of dead space at the moment and much more expensive than Tesla SC (like 4x more expensive) which surprised me.

I tried to build a Ford Mach E - the color I wanted (grabber blue metallic) was only available on the top end model. Why??? This is one of the reasons I love Tesla - you can get whatever exterior color or interior color available no matter what version you buy. You can also upgrade the car after the purchase which is quite helpful for people with limited budgets. I plan on getting a cheap Model Y when the 7-passenger version is released and then upgrade to full self driving in the future when finances are better.

Brent

We have a Model X (100D); love the driving, hate the mechanics/build (so many issues). We have a deposit on a 3 row Model Y, and also on the Mach-E GT (700 hp!). We are proceeding with the Mach-E for sure as I'd like to diversify our electric car makeup and not put all the eggs in one basket.

We have a Model X (100D); love the driving, hate the mechanics/build (so many issues). We have a deposit on a 3 row Model Y, and also on the Mach-E GT (700 hp!). We are proceeding with the Mach-E for sure as I'd like to diversify our electric car makeup and not put all the eggs in one basket.
So you are staying in San Diego with the Mach-E and not planning long distance road trips with it and dealing with outrageously expensive, broken CCS DCFC charging stations.

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec
We have a Model X (100D); ...We have a deposit on a 3 row Model Y, and also on the Mach-E GT (700 hp!). .

Google says my Model S has 503 hp, while the performance has 778 hp (!!!!!!!:). So... why are you excited about ONLY 700 hp on ONLY a Ford?? Ford, for years and years, was considered an inferior make, as in Fix Or Repair Daily. Or maybe you're too young to know that.

Interesting, also, that Ford never thought about the electric car business until Tesla showed them it could be done. Good luck with the Mach E. Doesn't interest me.

Where is 700HP for Mach E GT published? Not on Ford's site that I can find and Google search results say 459 HP and 612 lb-ft
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...-2/pdf/seo-pdfs/Mustang-Mach-E-Tech-Specs.pdf

And 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E GT - Specifications and price

OP said they posted here and also posted in a Ford forum asking the same thing. OP probably realized they weren't going to get an objective answer here and didn't bother coming back.
Well I guess he came to that conclusion pretty quickly as he hasn’t been back - must not have been too committed to an “objective answer” after all. Spent all of a few minutes here apparently...

The Mustang Mach-E arguably has the better brand name. It is also faster and has a better interior!
We were one of the first to put a deposit on the Mach E. I really was stoked about it, love the look. But after COVID, it became clear the car would not be available until Fall or even later, so we cancelled in late June when our backup MY reservation came up. We love the MY. It has good looks, ours is a quality build, it is super f*ing fast and handles well, and frankly, having owned an EV for 3 years, and had range anxiety galore to the point we never took it on a trip over 150 miles one way, we are glad we got the Tesla. The supercharging network is the icing on the cake. I planned a trip from San Francisco to Tucson using the super chargers. It is 2 hours longer than an ICE car, and since we would spend the night half way, it is a realistic drive using Tesla chargers. I would never ever had considered that drive in my 230 mile range Bolt. Granted, the Mach E has 300 miles range, but zero super chargers in a suitable network spaced to allow long drives. Sure, there are ChadMo and other things, but they frankly suck, imho. So, even though when the Mustang comes out I may wish I had one, we could not be happier with the Y.