Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why not buy a Mustang Mach-E?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's proprietary charge port and network is getting to be less of a differentiator. Remember betamax? There are some 2400 CCS supercharging locations now with reliable cross-country routes. Good luck avoiding lines in some cities with your Tesla and don't even think about travel on busy holidays.

Tesla could solve this easily by giving North America a CCS adapter like Europe enjoys for the Model S/X or just give up the proprietary non-sense like the Model Y/3 in Europe. Not sure why EM gimps our cars in their home turf.

I did a Denver to San Diego drive in my Chevy Bolt earlier this year and it was no better or worse than that trip I have done many times in a Tesla.

. . . Betamax is better than VHS in every technical way . . . BUT . . .

I definitely wouldn’t underestimate the first EV factor. Just looked on Etron forums, a car made by “luxury” manufacturer, not a Ford even. So many horror stories car do not charge, ac stop working and lot of other glitches. And DAYS in service...
“I have taken my Etron 3 times to get this particular error message looked at and corrected. The latest fix requires the tail light assembly part to be replaced. The part won’t arrive till 3/28!!! They released car back to me but not sure I should be driving given half my tail light isn’t functioning properly. Not happy. Dealer has had my car 4 times now for a number of issues and each time they have to keep my car 4-9 days.”
80-100k car btw
Personally I also want to get emac , but as it’s not available and not clear when it would be, drop it. Like the interior (on photos, Idonno how it would be real) but 200m range, charge network sparse...

One thing - Service and loaner!

Audi will come to your house with loaner and take your car. They can have it for weeks, i dont care as long as i drive another e-tron prestige.

Tesla needs 7 days to change your 12v battery.
All theses days you are without your/any car.

And please dont come with that UBER crap, nobody is using it here

One thing - Service and loaner!

Audi will come to your house with loaner and take your car. They can have it for weeks, i dont care as long as i drive another e-tron prestige.

Tesla needs 7 days to change your 12v battery.
All theses days you are without your/any car.

And please dont come with that UBER crap, nobody is using it here
How often does that come up?

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
We recently picked up our Model Y. Our plan was to get it for my wife and use it for traveling for our vacations. I actually put a $1k deposit on the Volvo XC40 Recharge to replace my e-Golf. After receipt of our Y, realizing the benefits of supercharging, range, performance and actually being able to have a car NOW I requested a refund and now am planning on getting a 3 for myself. I looked at the Mach E as well but who knows how long the wait will be, the actual performance, the actual range, the actual build quality, etc., etc., etc...

When will people realize that EVs will not be viable if only one company can make them well?

A successful MachE is a good thing for Tesla, not a bad thing.
I think people realize that but don't want an inferior product for their needs, which is very logical.

A certain portion of the population will decide to be early adopters (just like w/ early days of Tesla) because it is a unique product w/ unique benefits despite the significant shortcomings. The Mach-E (or other upcoming compelling EVs) probably don't provide enough of a advantage in any one category to deal w/ the shortcomings like Tesla did vs. ICE vehicles.

• Disagree
Reactions: EinSV and BlindPass
I think people realize that but don't want an inferior product for their needs, which is very logical.

A certain portion of the population will decide to be early adopters (just like w/ early days of Tesla) because it is a unique product w/ unique benefits despite the significant shortcomings. The Mach-E (or other upcoming compelling EVs) probably don't provide enough of a advantage in any one category to deal w/ the shortcomings like Tesla did vs. ICE vehicles.
Such a close minded comment. I enjoy my Model 3 and excited for Model Y that I just ordered. But at the same time, I see many benefit of MachE and would not call it inferior.
I've had plenty of frustration with my 3 during the past 2 years of ownership, and the QC is still embarrassingly bad.

Such a close minded comment. I enjoy my Model 3 and excited for Model Y that I just ordered. But at the same time, I see many benefit of MachE and would not call it inferior.
I've had plenty of frustration with my 3 during the past 2 years of ownership, and the QC is still embarrassingly bad.
We’ll see, but the Mach E GT seems similar to a MY. I’d trade in range for better build, more options, and better service.

We’re waiting to see what Tesla does with the S/X. Hopefully it’s the Tesla acceleration and range, with added interior quality. I’m guessing it will be priced around the Taycan, so it will need to have better/more options.

We’ll see, but the Mach E GT seems similar to a MY. I’d trade in range for better build, more options, and better service.

We’re waiting to see what Tesla does with the S/X. Hopefully it’s the Tesla acceleration and range, with added interior quality. I’m guessing it will be priced around the Taycan, so it will need to have better/more options.
Your prolific writing in the past two weeks suggests a rather strong negative attitude towards Tesla. (And one post showing you supposedly own multiple Teslas. Right.)

You are more than welcome to enjoy a car with (maybe) better panel gaps but otherwise objectively inferior to any Tesla, and do report back after your first long road trip. And have fun with Ford dealers!

I think you are completely misunderstanding my comment here. There should be more competition in the EV market and more options out there to fit everyone's needs. Tesla is far from perfect and I've had my issues with QC as well.

People make a decision on what matters to them and for those who rely on Tesla Superchargers as the killer feature, all other EVs are inferior for THEIR NEEDS. In the early days of Tesla, before the build out of the SC network, Tesla had the advantage of EV range, speed, etc. over ICE competitors. Nowadays, consumers value the SC network since that is an option to compare when/if purchasing an EV.

I think the Mach E looks very interesting but it's a completely personal choice selecting a car and it makes sense that lots of people find it inferior to Tesla options AS A WHOLE. That makes sense to me and is logical. You weigh your options and pick the better option FOR YOU and don't pick the option you deem inferior.

When will people realize that EVs will not be viable if only one company can make them well?

A successful MachE is a good thing for Tesla, not a bad thing.

I absolutely agree wth this statement. BUT, I think there is a better chance of startup EV companies expanding the market than the legacy automakers. The real problem is that the dealers have no incentive to sell EV's. They make most of their money on service and EV's don't need much of that. Unless they elect to sell their vehicles directly using the Tesla model, the legacy manufacturers will always be struggling with their distribution partners.

Reactions: laservet and house9
Because it's slower, has less range, charges slower, has fewer places to charge...that's just offhand.

I decided to look at the website....and yes. Slower by seconds from both Y models...plus you have to at least get the 3rd car (California option) to get to 300mi (which I think anything under 300mi is a non starter), plus it's 52K+ with zero extra options....plus it's a $500 deposit to order...and you're getting the first version of something. Let us know how that Ford turns out.

Reactions: psuKinger
Your prolific writing in the past two weeks suggests a rather strong negative attitude towards Tesla. (And one post showing you supposedly own multiple Teslas. Right.)

You are more than welcome to enjoy a car with (maybe) better panel gaps but otherwise objectively inferior to any Tesla, and do report back after your first long road trip. And have fun with Ford dealers!
It’s entertaining you feel compelled to resort to this. Try not to be so insecure about Tesla.

Think big picture- as EVs expand from their minuscule market share, Tesla has real competition and more than panel gap inferiority.

Basically anything inherent to car manufacturing of both ICE and EV should be better from legacy manufacturers- things like build quality, customer service infrastructure, trim options, cabin technology and HMI, etc. Remember, these manufacturers can currently subsidize these EV production lines from their ICE production lines, not to mention gain greater economies of scale on anything not innate to EV.

Tesla currently has superior EV tech, although other manufacturers are getting to the point that they’re good enough. For many it’s reasonable that better range isn’t an enough to offset the other aspects. I remember when Tesla haters said range would be an issue on our first S. It wasn’t. The Audi, Ford, and Porsche ranges are enough if they have the other advantages. I can confirm the Audi and Porsche do. The whole charging dialogue is also humorously what people used against Tesla. Imo even Supercharging still is to be avoided, and it’s PHEV for road trips until charging is the same as filling up.

Tesla acceleration is superior to all but the top end Porsche. That’s very important to us, but I suspect there are more buyers that will be fine with the competition’s 0-60.

Back when we got our first S, it was easier to overlook given there was effectively no competition. Mostly true in 2018 too. But it won’t take much for competition to be superior in several regards. Whether that nets out to overall superiority is subjective, but after being Tesla owners for many years, we’re willing to wait to see what the competition offers.

Last edited:
I absolutely agree wth this statement. BUT, I think there is a better chance of startup EV companies expanding the market than the legacy automakers. The real problem is that the dealers have no incentive to sell EV's. They make most of their money on service and EV's don't need much of that. Unless they elect to sell their vehicles directly using the Tesla model, the legacy manufacturers will always be struggling with their distribution partners.

well I hope there are a few successful EV start ups but based upon the Nikola earnings yesterday I'm not sure. Maybe Volvo and a couple of current Chinese cars catchup. The US needs more successful EV companies.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
well I hope there are a few successful EV start ups but based upon the Nikola earnings yesterday I'm not sure. Maybe Volvo and a couple of current Chinese cars catchup. The US needs more successful EV companies.
Do we see more legacies go the Volvo way and have a separate entity, legally speaking? Then at some point culling the old subsidiaries when it becomes prudent to do so.

As it stands now, the transition is still largely in hands of the legacy manufacturers imo. Probably will be until they’ve paid down the fixed costs tied to the decades of ICE development or the narrative on storage/charging is changed (it’s crazy the only drawback to EVs is the very infrequent use of road trips). Legacies have a window in which they can make money off ICE while developing, buying, or “stealing“ EV tech as needed.

Do we see more legacies go the Volvo way and have a separate entity, legally speaking? Then at some point culling the old subsidiaries when it becomes prudent to do so.

As it stands now, the transition is still largely in hands of the legacy manufacturers imo. Probably will be until they’ve paid down the fixed costs tied to the decades of ICE development or the narrative on storage/charging is changed (it’s crazy the only drawback to EVs is the very infrequent use of road trips). Legacies have a window in which they can make money off ICE while developing, buying, or “stealing“ EV tech as needed.

what? I'm sorry Floridian doesn't translate to Texan.

It’s entertaining you feel compelled to resort to this. Try not to be so insecure about Tesla.
Back when we got our first S, it was easier to overlook given there was effectively no competition. Mostly true in 2018 too. But it won’t take much for competition to be superior in several regards. Whether that nets out to overall superiority is subjective, but after being Tesla owners for many years, we’re willing to wait to see what the competition offers.
I'd suggest you try not to be so optimistic about a vapor vehicle. And I do welcome you to buy it and let us know if you regret your decision. If you're honest.