Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why not having a flexible 5/6/7 configuration available on the Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NeverFollow

Aug 9, 2010
I was looking at the Honda Odyssey Minivan seats configurations, and I was wondering
why the Model X doesn't provide more flexible configurations than the factory default installed seats.

The tesla Model X can be order only:
- as a 5-seat (second row back can fold flat)
- or a 6-seat (each middle seat can have the back folding flat)
- or a 6-seat with a not removable center console (I wonder if the middle seat ca be folded ?)
- or a 7-seat (the back of the second row and the back of the back row can fold flat)

Model X Factory Seat Configurations  .jpg

The Honda Odyssey can be configured in multiple ways:
- 7-seat (default configuration)
- 6-seat with two Captain chairs (removing the central seat of the second row)
- 6-seat with two seat-bench (Sliding the two seats of the second row next to each other for easy rear access)
Note: all the middle seats can be removed and the back seats can be folded into the trunk

2018 Odeissey Middel Seat Configuration 01 .jpg

2018 Odeissey Middel Seat Configuration 02 .jpg
2018 Odeissey Middel Seat Configuration 03 .jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger and Cowby
As much as we wanted to go completely electric, we just couldn’t get rid of the odyssey. The odyssey is just too flexible with its seating and storage configurations.

Same idea....just had to bite the bullet to go all electric....it was an adjustment, but now don’t mind not having the minivan around. Might end of picking up the Pacifica hybrid if we really need to go back to a minivan, but I’m holding out for an all electric minivan!

As much as we wanted to go completely electric, we just couldn’t get rid of the odyssey. The odyssey is just too flexible with its seating and storage configurations.

I had a similar sentiment with my Sienna. After getting rid of it and going full electric though, I don't miss it one bit. I did for a little until I picked up a trailer, it's so much easier to hook that up than to lug the middle row seats out.

I asked this of a Tesla rep not too long after the X came out and the response was that the entire automotive industry is moving away from giving the customer the ability to remove and reinstall seats. It's too easy for the customer to not reinstall a seat properly, thereby increasing the risk of personal injury in a crash, upon which they then sue the automobile manufacturer. True or not, it sounds like a plausible explanation, considering how nobody is responsible for their own actions any more.

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
TESLA has really missed the boat with the middle row seats and the flexibility that they could have offered with their middle row seats... that backlash from the original middle row seats lead to the current change except its only for the 7 seat option.. "they" still haven't figured it out.... The "U" is missing in SUV.

Reactions: NeverFollow