Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why not OEM tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. I don't obsess over efficiency (that's a lie...I check it every few hundred yards while driving, always curious) especially when on a road trip, because SuperCharger spacing allows me to drive as fast as I want in between SCs w/o range anxiety. Of course, overall, it takes longer than an ICE to get to any destination.
Funny you should mention that because this summer I found myself looking forward to taking those charging breaks on cross-state jaunts.

Thanks everyone!

It still sounds to me that if I care much about range, I should stick with the continentals.

Any better alternative which is still range conscious? For Southern California (sunny, no snow).
Yes, if range is important (a daily commute of 150+ miles) stick with OEM

What many have found here is that range just isn't a serious issue, that 220-240miles per charge is adequate. Road tripping is easy, with SuperChargers spaced from 100-160 miles apart (on major highways). If you plan on going to regions w/o SChargers (for me, SW TX, Big Bend region) range might be important.

The harshness of the OEM ContiProContacts is what has encouraged many of us to seek gentler options.

Reactions: e645824

What many have found here is that range just isn't a serious issue, that 220-240miles per charge is adequate. Road tripping is easy, with SuperChargers spaced from 100-160 miles apart (on major highways). If you plan on going to regions w/o SChargers (for me, SW TX, Big Bend region) range might be important.

The harshness of the OEM ContiProContacts is what has encouraged many of us to seek gentler options.
Thank you. I do like long road trips (I.e. driving from Bryce to Grand Canyon was challenging) but I think I’ll try a different set of tires this year and see the difference.

220-240 miles per change! I wish. A route I take frequently is 230 and speeds are 70 mph most of the way. Never happens. But they say 326 miles!

220-240 miles per change! I wish. A route I take frequently is 230 and speeds are 70 mph most of the way. Never happens. But they say 326 miles!
It is universally known that EPA ratings for ALL vehicles isn't real. If you dropped your speed to 60, or even 65, you should see a bump in efficiency.

Curious: I said 220-240, and you said "I wish, A route I take frequently is 230..." I don't understand the "I wish" part. :p

Why do people consider other tires than the Continental ProContact RX “19?

I assume that the OEM tires the most tested to match the Model Y characteristics.
I also assume that Tesla doesn’t cut corners for quality.

What are the benefits of the other brands?
Good question. My Continental ProContact RX “19 are now worn out at only 26k miles. Shopping for replacement tonight and started to read the reviews online. Am shocked to read review after review where Continental ProContact RX has some of the worst assessments of any tire in its price range. I am going to buy a better tire now.

Why are OEMs installing these tires at the factory?
As everything automotive I assume it's about cost. Everything needs to be rock bottom.

The interesting question is then, -how can they be some of the most expensive tires on the aftermarket? It wouldn't be too wild of a guess that the tire manufacturers sacrifice their profit at OEM to make up with the consumer. Low quality tire sold to OEM as a loss leader, with the goal of being the tire of choice for us gullible consumers when it is time to replace. We may buy this low quality tire at a premium price.

I assume that the OEM tires the most tested to match the Model Y characteristics.

Found a great video (ignore its implicit Hankook advertisement) on the topic of EV tires and considerations when replacing them.

Had already ordered the Turanza Quiettrack but understand after the video that they might not be the best for efficiency without the flattened contact patch that dedicated EV tires have. Don't have time/motivation to change the order now, will see how it goes. Also looking forward to their smoothness and quietness, which I prioritize over range. Will report back how the efficiency and range loss turn out in case anybody is interested.

Olle: probably a bit late, and only one person's experience...

Reactions: Olle
Olle: probably a bit late, and only one person's experience...

Appreciated, thanks! Very curious now about the comfort level. Tirerack rated comfort of OEM tire 8.1/10 vs 9.0/10 for the Quiettrack.

The OEM Contis are stiff, hard rubber, not compliant.

FYI, I've got over 10k on the Michelin PilotSport 4s, OEM 255/45X19 size, and they're MUCH softer than the OEM Contis. Better in every way.

Redundant news, as I've posted this in several of the duplicate "tire" threads!

Reactions: 455dan and Olle
After three days now with Turanza Quiettrack I am willing to give the OEM Contis a bit more slack -I don't think they are so bad in comparison as one might believe from reading the reviews. The main advantage of the Quiettrack in my experience is that they are more compliant over brick/cobblestone roads. That was important to me since we have a lot of those here. I hope they last longer too because the 26000 miles I got out of the Contis is not much compared to what I usually get from my tires.
I don't find Quiettrack to be quieter then the OEM Contis even though the name and the reviews imply this.

Reactions: TomB985
Thanks everyone!

It still sounds to me that if I care much about range, I should stick with the continentals.

Any better alternative which is still range conscious? For Southern California (sunny, no snow).

Goodyear is starting to finally ship their high-efficiency e-car tire lineup - those may be viable swap for the OEM contis soon.

Search for Goodyear ElectricDrive GT. Since it's new, there's not much field data on it - I'm eager to hear from early adopters

Reactions: Olle
Goodyear is starting to finally ship their high-efficiency e-car tire lineup - those may be viable swap for the OEM contis soon.

Search for Goodyear ElectricDrive GT. Since it's new, there's not much field data on it - I'm eager to hear from early adopters
I have 2.000 miles on mine. Definitely quieter and better ride than OEM. Traction good. Unsure of range. The weather has been too variable to allow for a comparison.

OEM tires are built to a specification (a large part of being cost) and not the same as similar models sold aftermarket.
typically they do not last quite as long as aftermarket.
there are exceptions, but reported experience here is that Tesla Conti's get maybe 25K miles and are somewhat harder compounds and sidewalls.

Reactions: Pianewman
I have 2.000 miles on mine. Definitely quieter and better ride than OEM. Traction good. Unsure of range. The weather has been too variable to allow for a comparison.
I've been fooled before by replacement tires being "definitely quieter." I'm sure it's the thicker, softer tread than the used tires that are worn down to harder rubber.

I haven't read a review of the Goodyear EV tires that says they're "quieter" than the OEM ContiProContact. Just sayin'! ;)

Edit: I don't really trust reviews of tires with less than 4 or 5 k miles on them.

Last edited:
OEM tires are built to a specification (a large part of being cost) and not the same as similar models sold aftermarket.
typically they do not last quite as long as aftermarket.
there are exceptions, but reported experience here is that Tesla Conti's get maybe 25K miles and are somewhat harder compounds and sidewalls.

For what it's worth, I'm at 33,000 miles on the OEM Continentals and have a lot of tread left (6/32 to 7/32). I'm fairly happy with them.