Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

why satellite radio should have been an option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pay more than $100/year for SiriusXM, but that's so I can have access to their app to download Howard Stern on demand and listen 'offline'.

It's rare that I am driving in an area with poor or no cell service, but I could see over-reliance on streaming causing issues with my cell phone data plan. Just wish Spotify integration was available so I could sync and stream through car vs. using Slacker (certainly not open to paying for Slacker in addition to Spotify and SiriusXM).

Reactions: pmppk
I’m going to attempt to have a SiriusXM touch commander installed on 9/7, I’ll report back if it was successful.

That's a sleek little control unit, but I am wondering how you intend to connect. Looks like only options are FM or Aux and as far as I'm aware there is no Aux input. FM, especially in crowded markets, will probably be less than stellar connection / audio quality. Also not sure how to power / wire connection to antenna.

people still pay for XM? (serious question). I always thought paying $100/year for radio was a ripoff when there were dozens of other free options.

Tether your phone if it has better reception. Verizon has basically LTE anywhere.

there is no free option to get live MLB games nor howard stern. also, if you're paying $100/yr you're doing it wrong.

That's a sleek little control unit, but I am wondering how you intend to connect. Looks like only options are FM or Aux and as far as I'm aware there is no Aux input. FM, especially in crowded markets, will probably be less than stellar connection / audio quality. Also not sure how to power / wire connection to antenna.

i'm guessing he's going to try to tap into the FM unit in the back, seen here:

Found the FM/HD radio unit

XM makes an adapter that plugs into your tuner, and then the antenna goes into that. when you turn the xm unit on, it cuts the FM antenna so that it produces clear sound through the radio. when you turn XM off, it reconnects your antenna.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Brenzo and brkaus
people still pay for XM? (serious question). I always thought paying $100/year for radio was a ripoff when there were dozens of other free options.

Tether your phone if it has better reception. Verizon has basically LTE anywhere.
Verizon has 0-1% service at my work. Which makes many features worthless. No prechill for example. I don't have my car yet but many others do and they agree.

I get Howard stern free via the sirius xm app on my phone. When it's working that is.

Verizon has 0-1% service at my work. Which makes many features worthless. No prechill for example. I don't have my car yet but many others do and they agree.
Genuinely curious; if you've got wifi at work, can you tie your car into that and make the prechill work? Mine's tied into wifi at both home and the office, but I've got decent cell coverage so can't test it out. Maybe that's something to try...

Genuinely curious; if you've got wifi at work, can you tie your car into that and make the prechill work? Mine's tied into wifi at both home and the office, but I've got decent cell coverage so can't test it out. Maybe that's something to try...

Wifi does not really work outside the building either unfortunately.

Can you unlock the trunk of the car with bluetooth only?

Wifi does not really work outside the building either unfortunately.

Can you unlock the trunk of the car with bluetooth only?
Trunk, yes. It works like the doors when the phone is nearby. Frunk - don't know, interesting question.

If the pre-chill works on wifi (verify first, obviously), and there are "many others" who have Teslas there, maybe you should all pool your resources and get a wifi transmitter placed in the building near the parking lot.

Trunk, yes. It works like the doors when the phone is nearby. Frunk - don't know, interesting question.

If the pre-chill works on wifi (verify first, obviously), and there are "many others" who have Teslas there, maybe you should all pool your resources and get a wifi transmitter placed in the building near the parking lot.
If only that was an option. :)
If you get a spot closer to the building it might work sometimes though. Or so I think I'll have to wait and see.

Going to use antenna (located near back seat so I’ll prob need and antenna extension cable to run antenna closer to front of vehicle because the cord on the Sirius brain to the display is 6 feet) my neighbor owns a stereo shop so hopefully he’ll figure it out.

i'm guessing he's going to try to tap into the FM unit in the back, seen here:

Found the FM/HD radio unit

XM makes an adapter that plugs into your tuner, and then the antenna goes into that. when you turn the xm unit on, it cuts the FM antenna so that it produces clear sound through the radio. when you turn XM off, it reconnects your antenna.

Ooooh.... interesting. Definitely following...