TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

why satellite radio should have been an option

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by crackers8199, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Darren Donovan

I use it for sports, rarely music.

2. vletnguyen

vletnguyen Member

3. Brenzo

Brenzo Member

I pay more than $100/year for SiriusXM, but that's so I can have access to their app to download Howard Stern on demand and listen 'offline'.

It's rare that I am driving in an area with poor or no cell service, but I could see over-reliance on streaming causing issues with my cell phone data plan. Just wish Spotify integration was available so I could sync and stream through car vs. using Slacker (certainly not open to paying for Slacker in addition to Spotify and SiriusXM).

• Like x 1
  4. Big Ern

Big Ern Member

I’m going to attempt to have a SiriusXM touch commander installed on 9/7, I’ll report back if it was successful.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. Brenzo

Brenzo Member

That's a sleek little control unit, but I am wondering how you intend to connect. Looks like only options are FM or Aux and as far as I'm aware there is no Aux input. FM, especially in crowded markets, will probably be less than stellar connection / audio quality. Also not sure how to power / wire connection to antenna.

6. timk225

timk225 Active Member

Howard Stern is on Sirius, that's all the reason I need to get it. Although now I have to use the phone app and pay more for my phone bill.

• Like x 2
  7. crackers8199

crackers8199 Member

there is no free option to get live MLB games nor howard stern. also, if you're paying $100/yr you're doing it wrong.

i'm guessing he's going to try to tap into the FM unit in the back, seen here:

Found the FM/HD radio unit

XM makes an adapter that plugs into your tuner, and then the antenna goes into that. when you turn the xm unit on, it cuts the FM antenna so that it produces clear sound through the radio. when you turn XM off, it reconnects your antenna.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  8. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

Verizon has 0-1% service at my work. Which makes many features worthless. No prechill for example. I don't have my car yet but many others do and they agree.

I get Howard stern free via the sirius xm app on my phone. When it's working that is.

9. bpjod

bpjod Member

Genuinely curious; if you've got wifi at work, can you tie your car into that and make the prechill work? Mine's tied into wifi at both home and the office, but I've got decent cell coverage so can't test it out. Maybe that's something to try...

10. Glamisduner

Wifi does not really work outside the building either unfortunately.

Can you unlock the trunk of the car with bluetooth only?

11. bpjod

bpjod Member

Trunk, yes. It works like the doors when the phone is nearby. Frunk - don't know, interesting question.

If the pre-chill works on wifi (verify first, obviously), and there are "many others" who have Teslas there, maybe you should all pool your resources and get a wifi transmitter placed in the building near the parking lot.

12. Glamisduner

If only that was an option. :)
    If you get a spot closer to the building it might work sometimes though. Or so I think I'll have to wait and see.

13. Big Ern

Big Ern Member

Going to use antenna (located near back seat so I’ll prob need and antenna extension cable to run antenna closer to front of vehicle because the cord on the Sirius brain to the display is 6 feet) my neighbor owns a stereo shop so hopefully he’ll figure it out.

14. Brenzo

Brenzo Member

Ooooh.... interesting. Definitely following...

15. BobAbooey

BobAbooey Member

Maybe a stupid question, but how to you listen Stern in ur model 3?

• Like x 1
  16. ngogas

ngogas Active Member

i want satellite radio too!

17. crackers8199

crackers8199 Member

app.

18. BobAbooey

BobAbooey Member

The car has an app or the phone app? If the phone then how do you get Stern to play in the car?

19. Brenzo

Brenzo Member

Sirius app on phone streaming via Bluetooth

• Like x 1
  20. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

Any update on the install?