TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

why satellite radio should have been an option

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by crackers8199, Aug 26, 2018.

1. crackers8199

crackers8199 Member

Texas panhandle on I-40. Streaming won't load and this is the list of radio stations that is available... (and for a while there were NONE)

streaming is great... it's also useless when there's no cell service.

Imgur

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  2. bpjod

bpjod Member

I spend a lot of times where there's no cell coverage. 2 solutions:
    1. USB stick loaded with tunes
    2. Streaming music from your phone

• Like x 4
  3. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

people still pay for XM? (serious question). I always thought paying $100/year for radio was a ripoff when there were dozens of other free options.

Tether your phone if it has better reception. Verizon has basically LTE anywhere.

• Like x 5
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

One of the many reasons my entire music library is on my phone, and a bunch of audiobooks.

• Like x 1
  5. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

3. Let the world be quiet for a while.

• Like x 7
    • Funny x 2
  6. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

#6 ℬête Noire, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    My wife still hasn't gotten on board with this. She still likes her XM, it's my one hope to be able to keep our Model 3 to myself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But she'll probably just switch to audio books full-time in the Model 3.

7. cgrubbe

cgrubbe Member

Can be had for $75 a year and to each their own.

• Like x 3
  8. Kermee

Kermee It's Not Easy Being Green

If the mythical SiriusXM Car Bluetooth Dock (SXBTD1V1) wasn't vaporware, I would add XM into my Model 3. There's only so many Spotify playlists I can make...

9. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Ya. That’s my question too. People still actually pay for Sirius XM? I thought the died. Although my sisters bolt still had a three month trial.

• Like x 1
  10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

In my Volt I got the usual 3 month trial, plus bunch of mailing, plus 1 phone call. The phone call ended things as my reply was never.
    The real annoyance is that I can't deselect it on my stereo from the available sources, so it's another source to cycle through after the dumb thing disables the Bluetooth option, failing to take connection time and drops into account, causing the stereo to switch to FM.

• Like x 3
  11. scottysize

scottysize Member

Really? I haven't had any problems on 40 until I get into New Mexico. Then i have to have something on my phone to listen too for about 30 miles.

12. Big1matt

Big1matt Member

XM does have amazing variety and accessibility, but man the sound quality is horrrrible would be a disservice to the model 3 sound system.

• Like x 5
  13. scottysize

scottysize Member

For that matter, so does my iphone. Any time I stream from my phone now, I can hear the difference. I never heard it before. Geez

14. adaptabl

adaptabl Banned

They offer more than music. Some people enjoy the news and financial stations or the live talk radio. They are doing very well with subscriptions.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  15. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Depends on what you listen to. XM has quite a few exclusive channels and programs you can’t get elsewhere. I love their POTUS channel because I am that sort of nerd and XM is the only place I can listen to those shows. Also their sports casting selection is great and often blacked out on Tune-in or other streaming options. My local radio doesn’t broadcast the teams I am listening to since they are across the country.

But for just music, yeah, XM sucks.

• Like x 2
  16. devilmountain

devilmountain Member

SiriusXM gets fairly expensive unless you call all the time and threaten to cancel. It took me 15 minutes to cancel the service in one of my cars when I got my Model 3. They kept trying to sell me service for my model 3. The cancellation process left such a bad taste in my mouth that I am cancelling my other in the next week. I finally got my wife on board to terminate the service.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  17. t3slatx

t3slatx Member

Streaming is much better IMHO, Sirius-ly ;):D

18. djplong

djplong Member

I have a lifetime Premium subscription - but that's not the only reason I want XM in my car.

As an example, the only streaming services that carry baseball games are SiriusXM and MLB's own "AtBat" app.

And Verizon? Thanks, but I can do with out there not-really-unlimited data plans that cost a LOT more than what I'm getting from T-Mobile (which doesn't count the services I *do* stream towards the data throttling threshold)

19. MyJoule

MyJoule Member

20. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

I love xm radio in our Jeep rubicon as usually no radio or cell when we wheel. In our Tesla’s , slacker fine.