Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

why satellite radio should have been an option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the 3 doesn't have XM and Android Auto I'm probably going to wind up with a Leaf instead. I can't see compromising my daily in cabin experience by getting a car with such behind the industry in cabin electronics..

Lol....if you think the Leaf has "superior cabin electronics" you really should just go drive them. Tesla is leagues ahead. Their media streaming solution is far better to XM radio except in the case of no cell coverage (which is not common for most people).

Android auto is great, but Tesla's integrated NAV and the rest of the controls is far better than everything else the leaf has. Seriously this is what the inside of a leaf looks like

https://article.images.consumerrepo...arch/CR-Cars-Inline-2018-Nissan-Leaf-int-3-18

compare that to the model 3

https://nordic.businessinsider.com/...ceae4528e621008b58b2.jpg?preset=article-image

I used android auto in my previous car and find absolutely no need for it now.

Reactions: halfricanguy
Their media streaming solution is far better to XM radio except in the case of no cell coverage (which is not common for most people).

slacker is nice, but tune in has been pretty bad in my experience. they lost a ton of stations on august 1, and their decades channels in particular are complete garbage compared to the XM decades channels.

the nice thing, of course, is that this can all be resolved at any time if they would just push more apps to the damn car (spotify, radio.com, etc). hell, even the xm issue could be kind of resolved by just adding a streaming XM app that uses data rather than the satellites...wouldn't solve the no cell service issue (which i think you'd be surprised just how many people it affects), but it would at least give us options. my main problem is that when there's no cell service available (which for me happens a lot since i live in a canyon in southern california), my only option for in car audio is FM radio. that's just unacceptable in my opinion for a $60k car in the year 2018.

Reactions: cgrubbe
I've subscribed to XM Radio off and on for a number of years. XM delivers what they claim; the sound is great, and there is a wonderful selection of venues ..... all at a very high price.

The biggest problem I have experienced with XM Radio is not the sound or the variety ... it's cancelling the service.
They will absolutely pester you to death.
I cancelled my last subscription over a year ago, and not a month passes without some "come-on."

A tip for first time subscribers:
Initially refuse their service; they will return with very attractive lover prices.
The problem is they are usually for a rather limited, finite period, and after that, the price jumps dramatically.

Personally, I have found it much more enjoyable just listening to my own music. I've completely sworn off of talk radio, and even the news channels.

I've subscribed to XM Radio off and on for a number of years. XM delivers what they claim; the sound is great, and there is a wonderful selection of venues ..... all at a very high price.

The biggest problem I have experienced with XM Radio is not the sound or the variety ... it's cancelling the service.
They will absolutely pester you to death.
I cancelled my last subscription over a year ago, and not a month passes without some "come-on."

A tip for first time subscribers:
Initially refuse their service; they will return with very attractive lover prices.
The problem is they are usually for a rather limited, finite period, and after that, the price jumps dramatically.

Personally, I have found it much more enjoyable just listening to my own music. I've completely sworn off of talk radio, and even the news channels.

it's literally almost impossible to pay full price for satellite radio. if you do, you're doing it wrong. they will discount the price with almost no effort whatsoever other than a phone call to say you want to cancel.

it is 100% not worth the $300 a year or whatever ridiculous price it is now...but it is unquestionably (to me anyway) worth the $100 or so i pay every year just by calling back in and saying i either need the price i paid last year or i want to cancel. it literally takes me about 10 minutes, once a year.

it's literally almost impossible to pay full price for satellite radio. if you do, you're doing it wrong. they will discount the price with almost no effort whatsoever other than a phone call to say you want to cancel.

it is 100% not worth the $300 a year or whatever ridiculous price it is now...but it is unquestionably (to me anyway) worth the $100 or so i pay every year just by calling back in and saying i either need the price i paid last year or i want to cancel. it literally takes me about 10 minutes, once a year.

And even that is overpaying... they'll still give you 6 months for $30, so you just need to call twice a year and get it for $60/yr.... did that for years on my Lexus before I got the Tesla.

Reactions: cgrubbe
i think he said in another thread that it was a no go, because the antenna connections don't match with the xm fm direct connect adapter...but i can't find the other thread.

I couldn’t tap into the Tesla fm antenna plug but instead used a fm modulator from amazon. It works well so far.

I used this JETech Wireless FM Transmitter... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00URUJWPW?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
Another perk of the fm transmitter is that when I plug it into the new 12v outlet it also adds a USB port I hope to use for my nomad charger when it arrives.

And the SiriusXM touch commander I purchased from Best Buy. They frequently change the price of it, I ended up getting it for $49.99 during one of their random price drops. During my install my shop added a 12v outlet next to the front USB ports using this video

We pulled constant power from the yellow wire on the hazard light panel video we used
and got the switched power from the wire that powers the current 12v adapter. We tapped in the drivers foot well instead of at the current 12v plug here’s video we referenced

I attached the touch commander display under the model 3 screen. Under the bottom of the model 3 screen is a small removable panel that we removed and made a small notch in for my touch commander display wire to run into the dash and down to the concealed unit. I’d take a pic but my wife has the car today :-/

I couldn’t tap into the Tesla fm antenna plug but instead used a fm modulator from amazon. It works well so far.

I used this JETech Wireless FM Transmitter... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00URUJWPW?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
Another perk of the fm transmitter is that when I plug it into the new 12v outlet it also adds a USB port I hope to use for my nomad charger when it arrives.

And the SiriusXM touch commander I purchased from Best Buy. They frequently change the price of it, I ended up getting it for $49.99 during one of their random price drops. During my install my shop added a 12v outlet next to the front USB ports using this video

We pulled constant power from the yellow wire on the hazard light panel video we used
and got the switched power from the wire that powers the current 12v adapter. We tapped in the drivers foot well instead of at the current 12v plug here’s video we referenced

I attached the touch commander display under the model 3 screen. Under the bottom of the model 3 screen is a small removable panel that we removed and made a small notch in for my touch commander display wire to run into the dash and down to the concealed unit. I’d take a pic but my wife has the car today :-/

awesome! can you get us a pic when she gets home? i'd be intrigued to see how it all fits together...

how difficult is it to find a station for the fm modulator?

And even that is overpaying... they'll still give you 6 months for $30, so you just need to call twice a year and get it for $60/yr.... did that for years on my Lexus before I got the Tesla.

yes and no. the $100 i'm paying for a full year is for xm all access. the $30/6 mo is for select, AFAIK.

this past year they offered me $50/ 6 mo for all access, and i told them i'd take it if they would run it for a year back to back (so $100 plus tax and whatnot). they said ok, so i took it.

awesome! can you get us a pic when she gets home? i'd be intrigued to see how it all fits together...

how difficult is it to find a station for the fm modulator?

I use 88.1 works with no static just set it as a favorite on FM

Attachments

• 0E31359E-BE69-47B0-B63B-C66F9CFF0019.jpeg
    0E31359E-BE69-47B0-B63B-C66F9CFF0019.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 5B5C67C9-58A4-4434-8731-EDA909036800.jpeg
    5B5C67C9-58A4-4434-8731-EDA909036800.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 59
  • C33798FF-48A4-41D9-8FB1-2BB28E06F053.jpeg
    C33798FF-48A4-41D9-8FB1-2BB28E06F053.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 01E4F0EB-ED91-4385-89D6-6FA7CBB5712B.jpeg
    01E4F0EB-ED91-4385-89D6-6FA7CBB5712B.jpeg
    695.5 KB · Views: 47
I always hated how satellite radio played so many commercials about how they don’t play commercials. I like the actual non stop music of streaming radio but dislike that it is slacker and not Spotify. They also need the download playlist option like Spotify gives on my phone and computer. I went on a road trip this week that spent some time out of range and where I used to lose satellite radio for about 3 minutes I lost slacker for 30 minutes. I switched to Bluetooth my Spotify downloaded playlists from my phone but I shouldn’t need to pay for premium slacker and Spotify just to have decent music in my car.

people still pay for XM? (serious question). I always thought paying $100/year for radio was a ripoff when there were dozens of other free options.
I pay for it but certainly not at full price and not $100/year.
Sirius app on phone streaming via Bluetooth
What kind of deal can you get on that?

The sound quality for music isn't very good. I finally learned my lesson a few years back about them having good prices for 5 or 6 months. I renewed in June for $24.99 for 5 months for XM Select. With the royalty fee it comes out $29.76 for 5 months. I'm willing to pay that.

The normal price of $15.99/mo + $3.05 royalty fee (monthly?) is insane and I would never pay that. The service is definitely NOT worth that kind of $.
Yep. Been doing basically that for maybe 4 years or so now. I initially let the trial on my 1st Leaf run out and I ignored all the junk mail I received. Finally, I noticed the price was ok (e.g $25 for 5 or 6 months).

Some folks are willing to pay $100 for 12 months to avoid having to bother to call every 5 or 6 months. I like having all the variety. I've discovered quite a bit I wouldn't have otherwise known about. Stuff that I like I end up adding to a Spotify playlist or (much less often) buying from somewhere.

If I ever get a 3 (long story), lack of XM will be yet another step backwards from my Leaf besides AM radio (I do use this) and its awesome 4 camera Around View Monitor (virtual overhead view). Sigh...

Last edited:
that's pretty close to how i envisioned setting mine up, but i was thinking of putting it down in the phone dock so i can just close the lid to hide it when i leave the car. how'd you attach it to the back of the screen like that?

Installer made a bracket out of a piece of plastic, drilled 4 holes in it and attached to Sirius unit with the factory screws then just 3m tape from bracket to back of Tesla screen

Reactions: crackers8199