Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why should I get a 3 instead of a Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've pretty much decided I'm going to get a Tesla for my next car so now I'm trying to decide between a LR 3 or a LR Y.

As far as I can tell the pros of the 3 are better handling, better performance, longer range and lower price.

And the advantages of the Y are more space, hatchback, and higher ground clearance.

I really like hatchbacks more than sedans but I much prefer the size and price of the 3 over the Y.

Why did you buy a 3 instead of Y or vice versa?

I recently picked up a SR MY and I completely understand why they got rid of it. You get more room, heated seats, and premium audio for a little more than a SR+ Model 3. I own a Model 3 SR+ and a SR MY and my Model 3 came out to be more expensive. I paid for the color, interior and rims, where my SR MY came with the basic multi-coat white, black interior and 19 inch rims.

The Model 3 is a bit quicker and drives better but I got more for my buck with the SR MY.

I believe the SR MY would’ve killed off the SR+. I don’t believe Elon where he talks about the range not being adequate.

It really depends what you want.

I got a LW AWD used, but if I had to make the choice today, I’d probably got for a Y. Better for a family and I’d choose practicality over the superior driving.

That said, I’d probably try for a MY Performance though to get that extra speed. :)

All price. Grant in Canada doesn’t apply to the y and does to the 3 sr+ only. This made it a newrly 30k price gap back in December and just couldn’t justify the cost difference. Ended up keeping my Rogue and it still being considerably cheaper than the y over a 3.

I love my 3 sr+. It is the first car I have ever genuinely loved driving.

Super happy with my 3. I prefer better performance rather than more space.
Ideal would be a 3 with a hatchback, though.

Yeah that's what I really want. Seems like most people are leaning towards the Y so far however. Personally I don't really care about the performance that much so the price and range are the main reasons I would get a 3 over the Y however the difference in price isn't really that huge in the scheme of things.

Yeah that's what I really want. Seems like most people are leaning towards the Y so far however. Personally I don't really care about the performance that much so the price and range are the main reasons I would get a 3 over the Y however the difference in price isn't really that huge in the scheme of things.
Being more efficient means it also effectively fast charges faster.

To me, the Model Y is a slower, more expensive, worse handling version of the same car I already have now, which is a model 3. I am either alone or with one other person in my car (my wife) 99% of the time, and I prefer cars with better handling over a larger car "because its larger".

We have a small SUV already ( my wifes BMW X3, which I would not want to drive on a daily basis because I even though I like 4 door vehicles, I like them better handling / smaller).

I really liked the BMW 435 I had before my model 3 performance. I really (really really) dont like the look of "lifted car" that the model Y has, and I dont like it on other brands either like BMW X4 / X6, or whatever mercedes calls their version of same).

If the model Y was the only version of this vehicle I probably wouldnt have one, but totally understand why someone with a spouse / significant other, and 2 children would want a Y instead of a 3.

By performance, I meant - acceleration, handling, range, fun factor, bang for buck.
But it you have or may soon have kids, or other regular rear seat passengers - or you're going to be hauling a lot of large cargo, the Y is more practical.

The 3 looks a lot better than the Y. The 3 has enough room, I don't need a huge amount of cargo space. If something is too big to fit in the 3 then I have it delivered which is a lot easier than schlepping it myself. The 3 also has more range but the Y has enough range. It all comes down to personal preference, pick the one you like best.

The 3 looks a lot better than the Y. The 3 has enough room, I don't need a huge amount of cargo space. If something is too big to fit in the 3 then I have it delivered which is a lot easier than schlepping it myself. The 3 also has more range but the Y has enough range. It all comes down to personal preference, pick the one you like best.

Yeah I definitely think the 3 looks better. The Y just looks like a bloated 3. If the 3 was a hatchback it wouldn't even be a question for me but I really don't like sedans very much. I feel like the trunk roof/shelf in sedans behind the rear seats is just a waste of space. It just makes all the space in front of the rear glass useless since you can't really put anything there.

I like the 3 better personally. It looks better to me, faster, cheaper. The Y wasn't even an option for me in my mind. Was 3 all the way. I think the trunk is big, plus when you fold the seats down it gives you more space. So if price and looks of 3 is more important to you, and you dont neeeeed the extra space, then I'd do the 3.

The wife has a Sorento so if we need more cargo I can use that. So depends on your circumstances.

@LoganNolag, sounds like your core considerations are range/price (3) and space (Y). My suggestion, get the Y. Under most conditions, the range difference won’t make a difference. Price? My wife and I have a saying “spend money once.” If you get a 3, you’re likely going to regret not spending that little bit extra to get what you really want; space.

My considerations for a 3 don’t line up with yours at all, so my perspective won’t help.

Last edited:
Reactions: angus[Y]oung