Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why should I get a 3 instead of a Y?

LoganNolag

Mar 3, 2021
USA
I've pretty much decided I'm going to get a Tesla for my next car so now I'm trying to decide between a LR 3 or a LR Y.

As far as I can tell the pros of the 3 are better handling, better performance, longer range and lower price.

And the advantages of the Y are more space, hatchback, and higher ground clearance.

I really like hatchbacks more than sedans but I much prefer the size and price of the 3 over the Y.

Why did you buy a 3 instead of Y or vice versa?

RedWhite19

Aug 17, 2020
Los Angeles
I recently picked up a SR MY and I completely understand why they got rid of it. You get more room, heated seats, and premium audio for a little more than a SR+ Model 3. I own a Model 3 SR+ and a SR MY and my Model 3 came out to be more expensive. I paid for the color, interior and rims, where my SR MY came with the basic multi-coat white, black interior and 19 inch rims.

The Model 3 is a bit quicker and drives better but I got more for my buck with the SR MY.

I believe the SR MY would’ve killed off the SR+. I don’t believe Elon where he talks about the range not being adequate.

It really depends what you want.

El joe

Jan 29, 2019
Bay Area, CA
I got a LW AWD used, but if I had to make the choice today, I’d probably got for a Y. Better for a family and I’d choose practicality over the superior driving.

That said, I’d probably try for a MY Performance though to get that extra speed. :)

Tarpan

Jan 2, 2021
Vancouver, BC
All price. Grant in Canada doesn’t apply to the y and does to the 3 sr+ only. This made it a newrly 30k price gap back in December and just couldn’t justify the cost difference. Ended up keeping my Rogue and it still being considerably cheaper than the y over a 3.

I love my 3 sr+. It is the first car I have ever genuinely loved driving.

LoganNolag

Mar 3, 2021
USA
Super happy with my 3. I prefer better performance rather than more space.
Ideal would be a 3 with a hatchback, though.

Yeah that's what I really want. Seems like most people are leaning towards the Y so far however. Personally I don't really care about the performance that much so the price and range are the main reasons I would get a 3 over the Y however the difference in price isn't really that huge in the scheme of things.

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine
Yeah that's what I really want. Seems like most people are leaning towards the Y so far however. Personally I don't really care about the performance that much so the price and range are the main reasons I would get a 3 over the Y however the difference in price isn't really that huge in the scheme of things.
Being more efficient means it also effectively fast charges faster.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
To me, the Model Y is a slower, more expensive, worse handling version of the same car I already have now, which is a model 3. I am either alone or with one other person in my car (my wife) 99% of the time, and I prefer cars with better handling over a larger car "because its larger".

We have a small SUV already ( my wifes BMW X3, which I would not want to drive on a daily basis because I even though I like 4 door vehicles, I like them better handling / smaller).

I really liked the BMW 435 I had before my model 3 performance. I really (really really) dont like the look of "lifted car" that the model Y has, and I dont like it on other brands either like BMW X4 / X6, or whatever mercedes calls their version of same).

If the model Y was the only version of this vehicle I probably wouldnt have one, but totally understand why someone with a spouse / significant other, and 2 children would want a Y instead of a 3.

techzelle

Jan 14, 2021
Sunnyvale, CA
By performance, I meant - acceleration, handling, range, fun factor, bang for buck.
But it you have or may soon have kids, or other regular rear seat passengers - or you're going to be hauling a lot of large cargo, the Y is more practical.

bjrosen

Apr 19, 2019
Westford MA
The 3 looks a lot better than the Y. The 3 has enough room, I don't need a huge amount of cargo space. If something is too big to fit in the 3 then I have it delivered which is a lot easier than schlepping it myself. The 3 also has more range but the Y has enough range. It all comes down to personal preference, pick the one you like best.

LoganNolag

Mar 3, 2021
USA
The 3 looks a lot better than the Y. The 3 has enough room, I don't need a huge amount of cargo space. If something is too big to fit in the 3 then I have it delivered which is a lot easier than schlepping it myself. The 3 also has more range but the Y has enough range. It all comes down to personal preference, pick the one you like best.

Yeah I definitely think the 3 looks better. The Y just looks like a bloated 3. If the 3 was a hatchback it wouldn't even be a question for me but I really don't like sedans very much. I feel like the trunk roof/shelf in sedans behind the rear seats is just a waste of space. It just makes all the space in front of the rear glass useless since you can't really put anything there.

Reactions: techzelle

f308gt4

May 21, 2020
SoCal
I came from a sports car (911) and the 3 is way bigger than I was used to. I can’t imagine the Y. Too damn big for me. Also, the 3 looks better and is faster. I’d consider a model Y for my wife, but not for me. If anything, I want something smaller: 2 door. If it ever makes it to production, the Roadster will be the ideal car for me.

IChillinz

Mar 19, 2021
Milwaukee, WI
I like the 3 better personally. It looks better to me, faster, cheaper. The Y wasn't even an option for me in my mind. Was 3 all the way. I think the trunk is big, plus when you fold the seats down it gives you more space. So if price and looks of 3 is more important to you, and you dont neeeeed the extra space, then I'd do the 3.

The wife has a Sorento so if we need more cargo I can use that. So depends on your circumstances.

Black306

Oct 14, 2019
Sacramento
@LoganNolag, sounds like your core considerations are range/price (3) and space (Y). My suggestion, get the Y. Under most conditions, the range difference won’t make a difference. Price? My wife and I have a saying “spend money once.” If you get a 3, you’re likely going to regret not spending that little bit extra to get what you really want; space.

My considerations for a 3 don’t line up with yours at all, so my perspective won’t help.

Last edited:
Reactions: srlawren

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC