Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why the "exclude" options on Sentry Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I'm not understanding the function correctly — but if you have to hit the little Sentry Mode button every time you want to use it, then why are there the options to exclude locations like Home and Work? Just don't hit the button if you don't want to record there.

Because I don't want it to record me walking around in my garage. My sentry mode is active 100% of the time, except at home. I don't want to worry about 'not hitting a button', I want it to work in the background without me having to remember to activate it.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Because I don't want it to record me walking around in my garage. My sentry mode is active 100% of the time, except at home. I don't want to worry about 'not hitting a button', I want it to work in the background without me having to remember to activate it.
How do you get it to be active 100% of the time? My little button turns from Hal to Off each time I use the car, it does not appear to be a persistent function.

Because when my car is in the garage, especially with the door down, there is no need to deplete charge and fill up my USB stick with pics of whomever in my family happened to enter the garage. Bottom line is it's not needed in many situations.

How do you get it to be active 100% of the time? My little button turns from Hal to Off each time I use the car, it does not appear to be a persistent function.

When you park at a location outside your exclude list, Sentry mode will turn on and monitor. When you get back in your car and put it in drive, Sentry obviously turns off.

At a location in your exclude list, it must be turned on manually via the icon.

Reactions: Matsayz
How do you get it to be active all the time? Mine turns itself off each time I use the car. All I'm doing is clicking the little circle at the top right to turn it into Hal. Is there a step I'm missing?

Sounds like you don't have it turned on by default in the settings. See pic

TeslaSentrySetUp6.jpeg

Kind of confused by some of the comments. You don’t have to hit the little Sentry mode button everytime you want to save something. Think maybe there’s confusion between TeslaCam and Sentry recording functions. TeslaCam should always be On/Recording (its the camera icon with the red light visible when on and recording). If you just inserted the usb device, you will need to touch the camera icon to turn it on but it stays on. If you set up the “TeslaCam” folder on the root level of the drive, it will create the appropriate files as it records.

Sentry mode is a feature of TeslaCam when the car is in Park. It is the big lens icon that looks like 2001’s HAL. While driving it will be dark/off. It is programmed to activate by default on Park when TeslaCam is on, or unless it’s turned off automatically by the special settings like while at home or at favorite places (settings in the Safety & Security screen). You don’t have to touch anything for it to record when something triggers it while parked (triggers being things like people or vehicles nearby or sometimes loud sounds that cause a vibration it detects like a motorcycle, car with really loud music). The triggering event will be in the last two minutes of the 10-minute recording btw.

Once TeslaCam has been turned On, until you disable it to remove for maintenance or check the files (make sure you pause it first before removing), it will be on automatically when you get in your car the next time to drive. If you are Driving and see something happen (like an accident or a new Model Y or Cybertruck drive past you!) and want to capture it, that’s when you would tap the Camera icon with the red light on it and you will see the download arrow. Give it a minute or two after the event to tap so TeslaCam can properly finish recording the recording minute or you could lose that last minute you wanted if it’s midstream recording. This Save function transfers 10 minutes of the last Driving video to a Saved Clips folder out of the 1-hr driving buffer. That is the only instance when you manually need to save anything, but it has nothing to do with Sentry files as those are automatically saved to a different folder in the TeslaCam folder.

Last edited:
I think sentry mode doesn’t start until the car is locked. Try exiting the car! Wait for it to lock and check the phone app to see if it is on. If you stop and are still in the car looking at the screen it won’t be active yet because you haven’t left and locked the car

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
I think sentry mode doesn’t start until the car is locked. Try exiting the car! Wait for it to lock and check the phone app to see if it is on. If you stop and are still in the car looking at the screen it won’t be active yet because you haven’t left and locked the car
Sentry mode begins once the car is in Park. So you can still be happily sitting in there, and Sentry is active. I'm not a fan of that aspect.