Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why the frunk shrunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use the trunk all the time and appreciate the vastness of the classic version. Perhaps with further refinement of systems the size can grow again in future renditions. I would hate to see it get completely consumed by hardware add-ons. If they did offer a range extender it would be nice if it was removable by the customer. If I need more storage extra battery comes out. If I need more range it goes back in.

OP I think you hit on the TMC official name for the refresh S new frunk..

It's now called a "shrunk".

At some point as this space fills with more new feature hardware bits... it makes no sense making it weather tight and plush. Shed those pieces. Just lift the hood like any other car and have access to all the mechanicals directly -- will speed up service time.

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclone
The best part of the classic RWD version. Storage, kid fun...and the legal and illegal stuff i won't post here. and well useless netting, but it sort up breaks up the space no?

IMG_0404.jpg
IMG_0239.jpg

I feel uncomfortable closing the frunk. It takes more force than I assumed and I don't like putting my hands on the paint, especially when it's perfectly clean. I feel like I have to wipe the area after I close the hood.

My wife can barely close it and I doubt will ever use it.

I guess I'll put in some roadside emergency equipment in there since it won't be used much.

Edit: I'd rather have this than nothing at all.

Last edited:
I love the frunk on my D. I do wish it was bigger, but I don't know what else I'd place there

I keep:
-Bottled water
-Extension cord
-Trader joes cooler bag for when we go shopping
-Bounty
-Ice scraper
-Rear hatch sunshade
-Leather conditioner
-UMC on road trips
And I still have maybe 25% space left to put other things in there.

I use it regularly. At least a couple times a week.