TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Why the frunk shrunk?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by 787steve, Aug 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 787steve

787steve Member

Awaiting delivery of my RWD Model S. I was disappointed when I found out about the new mini frunk. Just curious as to why the change. Anyone out there in Tesla land know reasoning behind it? Fleet commonality?

2. shelbri

shelbri Member

I believe it is the location of the new bio defense Hepafilter

• Like x 1
  3. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Although I believe that if you skip the Biohazard Defense option, the car still comes with the smaller frunk.

So, yup, fleet commonality.

4. MikingCO

MikingCO Member

Because they but new equipment for filtered air in there.

5. Buddy

Buddy Member

I was very disappointed when I saw that. The size difference is substantial.

Getting the 60 (non-D) I was really looking forward to using the drunk but now I don't see myself using it much. Looks like it can fit one small carry on bag or maybe a few bags of groceries.

6. 787steve

787steve Member

Thanks guys. I am sure you are right. And I agree with Buddy, I was looking forward to that spot for my golf clubs, and perhaps on a road trip, a spare tire. Oh well, if I ever drive through a bio hazzard, I'm covered. Give and take.

• Funny x 1
  7. GSP

GSP Member

The huge frunk on the original RWD S was a really awesome feature.

I wonder how difficult it would be to modify a new refreshed RWD 60 or 75 to a larger frunk size. The air ducts for the HEPA filter would have to be replaced with parts for a classic S. The 12 V battery would likely have to be relocated also. It was a huge PIA to service the 12 V in the classic RWD cars, so instead of moving the 12 V back to the classic location, maybe replace it with a physically smaller Li-ion 12 V battery.

GSP

8. MickC

MickC Member

Only if you have the premium package...

9. jimtelsa

jimtelsa Member

how will I transport my son or provide a play area?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 11
  10. ww73

ww73 Member

After a 10K mile roadtrip, I really appreciate the frunk of my classic model S.

It's a bummer that you can no longer get the large frunk if you choose RWD only.

11. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

There's a new study out that says the world's population is shrinking, thus less space is required to haul the bodies.

• Funny x 1
  12. ishop4more

ishop4more Member

I've been surprised at how much I can put in the funk . . . and nothing ever falls over or slides around.

• Like x 1
  13. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

I couldn't believe how much the frunk had shrunk when I saw the new one. It was such great feature of the car. With family of 5, and a dog, on road trips it provides much valuable space.

• Like x 1
  14. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Yep. I have a full size spare, small trolley Jack, and breaker bar and torque wrench in there, plus wedges and a timber protector for the Jack point from the trolley Jack. The new frunk is a waste of time and they should have simply dispensed with it.

15. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

I too love the frunk on our RWD car. I suspect they weren't very popular to use though. Between issues with the latch, and folks worrying about creasing the hood I think alot of people got scared off. It's a shame, between the smaller frunk and the center console, the redesign is significanlty less useful for our family.

16. DTB

DTB Member

I think it's actually because they needed the space to put the hardware for the range extender. I don't want to spoil the surprise but just wanted to state that I think this feature will be unveiled within the next 6-9 months... : Patent US8180512 - Efficient dual source battery pack system for an electric vehicle
    Just when other car manufacturers think they've caught up, Tesla will come up with a 700+ miles range car. Musk is not kidding when he says Tesla will be a Trillion dollars company...

• Informative x 3
    • Funny x 1
  17. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Very interesting link.

I'm guessing that the alt-chemistry of the second battery is necessary for it to withstand long periods at a high SOC.

Of course, given that the date is 2012, it's possible that Tesla may have out-innovated this patent already with their move to the 21700 cell format etc.

18. Foodnut

Foodnut Member

I love my RWD P85, with a very usable frunk. I put our baby stroller in the frunk, and leaves the entire trunk space free for other crap. :)

19. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

It was a huge loss of function. I have to think they had some internal discussion about the safety issue of the crush zone that was crash tested empty and then customers could fill it with solid objects like spare tires.

I have a new S60 and missed out on the big frunk. I would consider a retrofit if the HEPA filter could be replaced with the old filter style. I don't care about it, but did check the premium interior box for other reasons.

20. Mickie

Mickie Member

No matter here, as much as I'd love to use the frunk, I'm scared shitless of doing so. :(