Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why warning sound in reverse but not forward 2020 Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there is a forward warning, it sounds like the AC is on. the idea is that backing you wont see a person so the sound is loudish, In Drive going forwards you should be watching and not run into people. people should be watching for cars or mountain lions or whatever it is that might kill them so they don't...get killed.
many(most?) people have forgotten how life is supposed to work though

The other day I was driving my wife's ICE and in the parking lot two women were walking to their car in the middle of the path and didn't move out of the way even though my ICE made engine noise. I had to follow them for 30 yards or so. Some people are just dumb.

they turned and looked but kept walking in the middle so they weren't deaf. just dumb.

Last edited:
The other day I was driving my wife's ICE and in the parking lot two women were walking to their car in the middle of the path and didn't move out of the way even though my ICE made engine noise. I had to follow them for 30 yards or so. Some people are just dumb.

they turned and looked but kept walking in the middle so they weren't deaf. just dumb.

A few weeks ago I was driving by my home on a public street and some lady was walking down the center of the road texting with no idea I was even there. I stopped waiting for her to get out of the way and she almost walked into my car she was so clueless. I wish I had remembered to save the dashcam.

Have your spouse drive the car with you outside and see if it is audible in forward. The sound level might be dependent on how fast the car is going.

Hadn't realized the cars now had a backup sound.
This started with September 2019 builds of the Model 3. We took delivery of two Model 3s that month. The first one (built in August) didn't have it. The one we got two weeks later did. We promptly disabled it.

Were it me, they would have definitely heard my horn noise. A quick toot at first and if that didn't work, I would have laid on it.

Sometimes I wish I could install a 150 dB train horn in my car.

• Funny
Reactions: AZjohnInCA
I'm waiting for it to make the sound of a man walking in front of the car holding up a flag. Bloody silly legislation imo. There is absolutely no evidence that EV's are more dangerous to pedestrians than ICE's. I also realise that others have a different view to this, but I have been listening to prestige ICE cars at low speeds and there is very little difference to EV's - they hardly make a noise either.