Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife can't start MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife frequently can't start the MY. She has her foot on the brake and even when she has the app open it sometimes won't start, i.e. won't shift into D or R. She used to just keep the key card in the car and use that, but it disappeared recently after we had the car towed. I never have an issue starting the car. She has an iPhone 13 and I have an iPhone X. One difference that I'm curious about is that she has a rather bulky case on her phone while I don't have a case at all. I don't know if that could interfere some how, but she doesn't have any issue with other bluetooth devices like AirPods. I've checked her settings and they are set to leave the app running and always have location access. It doesn't seem like she has any trouble unlocking the car. Any suggestions on what to try?

How does she unlock the car? Is she unlocking via the app or does it automatically unlock when she uses the handle?

Has she setup "phone key" on her device? You will need one of the key cards to setup "phone key" on a new device.

If you have lost a keycard you should remove it from the vehicle menu for security reasons.

Lastly, the driver should always have a keycard as a backup in case the phone is inoperable. If your wife still has trouble with the phone a traditional fob is also an option.

I would suggest she uninstall the Tesla app and reinstall it. Also have her be sure that the phone is unlocked when trying to start the car. I've had it happen to me a few times and it seemed that when my iPhone was locked it wouldn't allow access to the car.

That is puzzling that the car will unlock but won't turn on when the brake is pressed. This doesn't seem to be a phone connectivity problem because the car unlocks with phone as key. If you think the phone case could be a problem take it out of its case.

The case shouldn't be the problem. Phone as key is a bit finicky because of the cell phone's operating system always trying to save battery by putting applications to sleep or otherwise preventing communications. It has happened to me from time to time. Turning bluetooth off and back on in the cell phone normally fixes it. Assuming that works, you can then go in the phone's settings to try to find the option to "let things run and consume more battery".

Well I'm sorry to say that it might be time for a new wife. Not sure how old your's is but you'll find that women born after about 1980 tend to be more technically savvy and less inclined to experience glitches like this. While switching to a newer a model may be more expensive in the short term (generally, you'll lose your house and about half of your money), you'll experience less headaches in the long run. You've purchased one of the best vehicles money can buy and now all you need to do is ensure that all of your accessories are compatible. Good luck!

Well I'm sorry to say that it might be time for a new wife. Not sure how old your's is but you'll find that women born after about 1980 tend to be more technically savvy and less inclined to experience glitches like this. While switching to a newer a model may be more expensive in the short term (generally, you'll lose your house and about half of your money), you'll experience less headaches in the long run. You've purchased one of the best vehicles money can buy and now all you need to do is ensure that all of your accessories are compatible. Good luck!

What if she gets the car?

I do see a business mode" here. Perhaps Wifemax or Wifemana. I think "Find Your New Ride " as a slogan might be too much though. Trade-in assessments are another challenge. I suppose previous marriages are close enough to a carfax. Hard to get a warranty, although perhaps a pre-nup. Hm...

I've had this happen a few times over 3 years and I'm on Android. I agree that in general, bluetooth works or it's a complete failure. But then again bluetooth is not a great system... Once I had left my phone in my bedroom and I got in my car in the garage and drove away... the car only told me it didn't have a key (so wouldn't restart the next time) after I was a couple street corners away. It should never have let me drive without the phone in the car, yet it did. Normally that doesn't work but it did that one time.

That is puzzling that the car will unlock but won't turn on when the brake is pressed. This doesn't seem to be a phone connectivity problem because the car unlocks with phone as key. If you think the phone case could be a problem take it out of its case.
She may be hitting the unlock button in the app and not have phone as a key setup. Also as another note, don't swipe up on the Tesla app. If you do that it will stop communicating with the car. This will cause a problem with phone as a key and also prevent the vehicle from auto locking when you walk away. Tesla app should always stay open in the background.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Is her phone linked to a key card? I had a rental before and they gave me a key card and phone app access. I was able to unlock the car with Tesla app but it always asked for key card to drive. I had to link my phone to the key card in order to fully use my phone to operate the car.

My wife frequently can't start the MY. She has her foot on the brake and even when she has the app open it sometimes won't start, i.e. won't shift into D or R. She used to just keep the key card in the car and use that, but it disappeared recently after we had the car towed. I never have an issue starting the car. She has an iPhone 13 and I have an iPhone X. One difference that I'm curious about is that she has a rather bulky case on her phone while I don't have a case at all. I don't know if that could interfere some how, but she doesn't have any issue with other bluetooth devices like AirPods. I've checked her settings and they are set to leave the app running and always have location access. It doesn't seem like she has any trouble unlocking the car. Any suggestions on what to try?
Have your wife "reset network settings" on her IPhone.
Go to
Settings
General
Transfer or reset phone
Reset
Reset Network Settings

Maybe you have the same problem as these people, seems to point to a problem after a software update