Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi not connecting, not a signal strength issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I just took delivery of my Blue/White P3D on 6/14 and am loving it. However, when I try to connect to my home WIFI, I get the following error:

Could Not Join <SSID>

The Internet is unreachable. Please check your firewall settings and Internet connection.

I'm using a 2Wire router configured on Ch.5, 802.11G, and have opened port 1194 for UDP traffic. The router assigns the Model 3 an IP of 192.168.162.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks!

Hello,

I just took delivery of my Blue/White P3D on 6/14 and am loving it. However, when I try to connect to my home WIFI, I get the following error:

Could Not Join <SSID>

The Internet is unreachable. Please check your firewall settings and Internet connection.

I'm using a 2Wire router configured on Ch.5, 802.11G, and have opened port 1194 for UDP traffic. The router assigns the Model 3 an IP of 192.168.162.

Thanks!
That's not a valid IP address.

That's not a valid IP address.

Since the OP in this thread is talking about "opening UDP ports" I am going to assume they know enough about networking for that to just be a missing "." in the IP, and that the IP is actually 192.168.1.62.

First thing OP, if you feel you need to "open" ports to let your tesla get out, and its not getting out, the very first thing you should be checking is your firewall configuration(s).

Most people do not need to do anything with opening ports for the tesla to connect. Turn off your firewall on your router (remove / turn off your custom rules for the tesla) and just let it connect. You will likely find it connects fine. If you dont have any custom firewall rules, why are you attemping to open UDP ports for it to connect? It should connect to what it needs to if without any special configurations otherwise.

That should absolutely work fine, as long as you have signal and no strange firewall rules. If your router allows making 2 wireless networks, try connecting to a different SSID (on the 2.4 band). You mention "G" networking.. is that the newest networking protocol your router supports? No N or AC? If its only a B/G router, make sure its in auto mode and not G only, and think about getting a newer router would be my advice (after trying to setup another SSID on the same router, or alternatively assigning a static IP to the tesla in the router and putting it in the DMZ.

Hello,

Could Not Join <SSID>

Thanks!
I think that the signal is too weak.

I installed a NetGear PowerLINE in my garage connected to the EV charger plug.
I can choose between the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz. The 5Ghz gives a stronger signal.
This works great and I receive all the Tesla updates.

I had a similar problem I tried to solve for weeks using an old L-COM Wifi AP. Signal was OK and Tesla connected to link, but gave errors about no internet or other things. Laptop and Phone could use the L-COM no problem. Finally gave up and got a cheap TP-LINK N300 and now it all works fine.

While I think an 802.11G router should be OK. 802.11 N came out in 2007 so your current router is probably over 10 years old... if you can afford a P3D pony up $80 or so for a decent 802.11 AC router!
The old one quite possibly is the problem.

WiFi not connecting, not a signal strength issue
I had a similar problem in the past, before I installed a local WiFi hotspot in my garage.

1) I connected my phone, inside my car, to various local SSIDs.
Then I tried to use the same SSID using the Tesla display browser.

2) The Tesla browser was able to connect, and I entered some test web sites like SpeedTest
The download speed measurement was working, but the upload was very slow or even hanging.
(I know that some public Wifi block Skype or YouTube, so this could be a possibility)

3) I then used my smartphone as a WiFi hotspot, and the Tesla browser was working fine when using SpeedTest

Maybe try doing the above test to see if you can make similar observations.

The working solution was to install in my garage a WiFi hotspot extender.

I have been quite puzzle about this issue. I know that Tesla uses a Linux kernel,
but I run Ubuntu and Mint on my laptop, and macOS on a MacBook Pro,
and I didn't have any problem with any tcp/IP or DNS ports.

Note: Since I have a separate SSID for my car I should scan and make a list of all the ports used by Tesla.

Last edited: