Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will car stop at red light stop if overridden?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Stop Sign and Red Light Warning (or what ever it's called) turned on.
When I'm within a short distance of a traffic signal, the car will ding. If there's a green light, and it seems that it will remain green when I get there, I gently tap the accelerator to over ride the automatic slow/stop, TACC resumes normal speed, and drives through the intersection.
What happens if I tap the pedal to over ride (thinking I can make it under the green), but the light turns yellow, and red? Will the car stop on its own?
I'm not interested in testing to find out, but wondering if the car will over ride the driver...after the driver over rode the car (if that makes any sense)

Also, at certain speeds I've noticed that some (clearly visible) traffic signals are ignored, that is, I don't get the ding, nor does the car slow down. Are there situations where the car is programmed to ignore signals...or should it react the same at every signal (did the car make a mistake)? If I'm not mistaken the missed signals seem to be where there are a series of traffic signals relatively close to each other (within 100 yards??)
Thanks!

What happens if I tap the pedal to over ride (thinking I can make it under the green), but the light turns yellow, and red? Will the car stop on its own?

In my experience, yes the car will stop on its own. You cannot make the car on AP go through a red light. It will automatically stop for a red light even if you confirm to go through the light.

Reactions: haroldo
In my experience, yes the car will stop on its own. You cannot make the car on AP go through a red light. It will automatically stop for a red light even if you confirm to go through the light
If you TAP the brake pedal - you are right. The car may again try to stop within its parameters.

But if you HOLD the Go pedal while approaching a yellow/red light - surely the car would continue through the light. Yes?

If you TAP the brake pedal - you are right. The car may again try to stop within its parameters.

But if you HOLD the Go pedal while approaching a yellow/red light - surely the car would continue through the light. Yes?

Well, I have not tried to slam on the accelerator to see if I can force AP to blow through a red light, for obvious reasons. If you tap the brake pedal, you may disengage AP completely in which case you are back in manual driving. I use the stalk to confirm green lights. I know that if I use the stalk to confirm go and the light turns red, AP will automatically stop for the red light even though I just confirmed with the stalk to go.

I use the stalk to confirm green lights
Thread hijack (which is okay, since I created the thread), but I read somewhere, and can't vouch for the veracity, that excessive use of the stalks might, over time, cause problems. Article suggested lightly tapping the brake could reduce the risk. Not sure if that makes sense, but figured I'd throw it out there.

Thread hijack (which is okay, since I created the thread), but I read somewhere, and can't vouch for the veracity, that excessive use of the stalks might, over time, cause problems. Article suggested lightly tapping the brake could reduce the risk. Not sure if that makes sense, but figured I'd throw it out there.

I try to be gentle on the stalk to avoid wear.

The main reason I don't use the accelerator is because it can cause jerkiness. The car starts to slow down as you approach the green and if you tap the accelerator too hard, the car will jerk forward and then slow again to resume the acceleration that AP wants to do. I guess I need to learn proper accelerator tapping. LOL.

The only times I've used the accelerator is when AP phantom brakes at a green and there is a car behind me and so I need the car to accelerate quickly. I also sometimes use the accelerator when I feel AP is not accelerating fast enough from a stop. For example, when I am stopped at a red light, then it turns green, I will use the stalk to go, but AP accelerates like a grandma and there are cars behind me, so I press the accelerator to make the car reach my max TACC speed quicker.

Also, you need to tap the accelerator, not the brake, to confirm go through a green light. If you tap the brake, you will disengage AP entirely.

Last edited:
you need to tap the accelerator, not the brake
yup, my bad. I play a game to see how light a tap I could get away with to over ride.

Further hijack, I think there's a big problem with TACC speed and speed resumption (when conditions open up)...TACC should disengage when the steering wheel is turned more than a few degrees. It's pretty scary going into a cloverleaf with the car doing anything above 30-35 MPH, or making a turn after the traffic signal turns green...as the car accelerates to the speed limit

I'm trying to phrase this gently.

Accidents in intersections are fairly common and highly dangerous. I'm glad you're having this discussion, but it sounds risky that there is a difference of opinion at all. Second-guessing the driving assistance device and wondering whether to press the brake, accelerator, stalk, or just wait and see, does not sound all that safe to me. I hope you get a consensus, red lights are not the best time or place to be casual or trusting.

/end rant

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Of course, I never use it, nor rely on it if there's traffic, pedestrians, nor in congested areas, etc. I tested it this morning (4:30 AM) on a 40 MPH road with lights every mile, or two. Even the nocturnal animals were sound asleep
And the point wasn't to play a game, but rather to see what would happen if I determined that I could make the green, but guessed wrong (whether the car would take over) ...while I'd be naturally breaking.

Reactions: Terminator857
/end rant
LOL. That didn't sound like a rant. Yeah it is very early stages. Once the FSD beta is available, how one supervises or controls the car may change.
Tesla doesn't trust it light detection and people shouldn't trust Tesla light detection either.
My biggest complaint is that sometimes autosteer disables but TACC doesn't and you get unexpected sudden acceleration. If one gets disabled the other should to. I believe I've hit the brake several times making a right turn and the TACC is magically on after right turn and rapidly accelerating. Perhaps I should get a gopro camera to figure out what is happening.

The main reason I don't use the accelerator is because it can cause jerkiness. ...
Good to know, I do experience plenty of jerkiness. I'll try to remember the stalk method and see what happens.

I'm trying to phrase this gently.

Accidents in intersections are fairly common and highly dangerous. I'm glad you're having this discussion, but it sounds risky that there is a difference of opinion at all. Second-guessing the driving assistance device and wondering whether to press the brake, accelerator, stalk, or just wait and see, does not sound all that safe to me. I hope you get a consensus, red lights are not the best time or place to be casual or trusting.

/end rant
The problem is when red lights are detected where there aren't any (railroad crossings, crosswalks with blinkers, etc.). There will be a red line on the display and the car will try to stop. This cannot be overridden with the stalk. You have to press and hold the accelerator to keep moving. Otherwise the car will stop.

I have a traffic light nearby that is usually misplaced with the lane I'm on so I often "run a red light" because it's actually green for my lane. Just to confirm that the car would indeed "run a red light" if you keep the accelerator pedal pressed.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
it sounds risky that there is a difference of opinion at all.
LOL.
First, touching the brake on any Tesla that has ANY Autopilot features turned on, turns them ALL off (even TACC).
Second, the use of pedal and stalk is documented in the car.

The "difference of opinion" is not one, the OP is asking "if I confirm the green light and THEN the light changes, will the car take that into consideration and do the right thing, ie stop?" and the answer is that it will.

It is not an opinion at all, just a clarification of functionality without experimenting/encountering it in real life.

In my experience it will never allow me to override when it perceives a red light unless I continually push my Go pedal or disengage. As another person mentioned, this comes up a lot where when traffic lights are covered up due to construction, sometimes a yellow flashing light is present but turned off, and other scenarios (which I guess Tesla perceived as too edge case to bother with in their testing). It really will still try to stop you at a preceived "red"/off traffic light even if you override -- and again where the perception of traffic lights that are off, or disabled, is as "red" incorrectly, this is very frustrating. Experience multiple times each way on my daily commute to & from the office. THIS BUGFIX IS ALL I WANT ... who cares about driving on city streets ..? Just this small update will make my life so much better on daily basis...

yup, my bad. I play a game to see how light a tap I could get away with to over ride.

Further hijack, I think there's a big problem with TACC speed and speed resumption (when conditions open up)...TACC should disengage when the steering wheel is turned more than a few degrees. It's pretty scary going into a cloverleaf with the car doing anything above 30-35 MPH, or making a turn after the traffic signal turns green...as the car accelerates to the speed limit
Disagree. If you want it to disengage, then disengage it. It’s easy to just nudge up on the stalk to do so (if you have a 3 or Y) or hit the brake. I do it all the time. Everyone has different tolerances for speed going through turns, I don’t want my TACC turning off by itself just because the steering wheel turned.