Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Elon give Autopilot free for 2018 or early 2019 buyers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP for $2000 no thank you, will run my 2018 model 3 without it. I would pay nothing and it should be free for all like they did from 2019 models
I missed that (included AP) not free by one month, and back then it was 2k before April 2019 for it but I missed that bubble. I waited for it to drop to 2k before I purchased it, I enjoyed using AP with the model Y so it was time to get it on the model 3. Worked very well tonight as expected.

Fred

It's been said a million times, but once again: AP has never been free. The base price on 2019 models went up at the time AP became a standard feature.

Yup- in fact they went up by exactly $2000.

So anyone who wants the "deal" 2019 buyers got can get it right now by paying $2000 for basic AP like that did (but didn't get a choice about doing)

Reactions: brkaus and MP3Mike
Not true 2018 No AP/EAP/FSD LRRWD price is same as 2019 Basic AP LRAWD including all the tax credit.

... what? Those aren't even the same car.

But when Tesla made AP "free" they raised the price on the same car by $2000.

So no, it was never "free"

here's where they announced both the inclusion of basic AP along with the $2000 price increase to pay for it

An Update to Our Vehicle Lineup

Tempting to get it. I just wish it included lane changes. Seems like it would quickly get annoying to have to disable AP to do so. But I guess it’s a “selling point” of the current FSD package.

Exactly. I started with AP, then added FSD, and the auto lane change is the one feature that I really enjoy now and was wishing I had with just plain AP.

Hopefully the in town FSD (stopping for stop lights, etc.) improves enough that I can start enjoying that as well.

Before I state my input toward this idea, I would like to state that I am a Tesla Owner, and purchased both EAP and FSD for one of my vehicles, and with this current pricing offer for standard AP, I’ll likely be adding it to the other one.

With that being said, I’ve seen a few great ideas on this thread that should really all be combined.

I believe basic AP should added for FREE to every single Tesla on the road, which is capable of operation with the current hardware installed. Firstly, it’s a safety feature that’s provided on all new Tesla’s, and adding it to all existing capable vehicles would increase the safety of the entire fleet, and the safety of others out on the road. This is now considered a basic feature, and is standard on a lot of competitor products (included in cost of sale/non software option). Not to get into any specifics of how accurate the competitors operability is, it’s still basic safety features that are included in a lot of other vehicles, far below and above the price of a Tesla. Every vehicle that’s capable of basic AP, has been collecting data and information for Tesla, to create, enhance, and improve their own software. I see it as an incredible gesture to early adopters, and a ‘Thank You’ for assisting in improving the network and features. Second, it would also create 1 less version for Tesla to develop. Instead of having the current 4 versions of No AP, Basic AP, EAP, and FSD, it would entirely remove the No AP layer, and in my (unknowledgeable software engineering) opinion make things easier for the engineers and software updates. This would also be a perfect example and publicity stunt to show how Tesla’s are the safest cars on the road, how AP saves lives, and how Tesla’s can be improved over time.

Now for everyone who purchased AP as a separate upgrade, of course we can’t leave you out, because you also paid more for something. I feel at the same time, Tesla should increase their version of basic AP, to EAP. This is a few small features updated, and doesn’t add another version of software. As for this, I’m only referring to those who purchased the basic AP package separately from it being included with the vehicle, however it can be arranged in any way that seems fair. If those who got basic AP included with their vehicle (for the $2000 price increase on the vehicle), feel that this is unfair, do note that a large portion (if not the majority) of earlier adopters also paid a higher price for the vehicle without any autopilot. However, this may not be enough to satisfy them, so I feel that they should also be included in my plan for those who purchased EAP separately...

To anyone who purchased EAP on its own, they unfortunately have received all their available features, capable on the current hardware. So instead of adding another version of software, or complicating it, I feel providing them with a 1-time period to purchase FSD at a fair discounted rate would be adaquate. I can’t comment on what price that should be, but a 1-time offer, and then not be discounted again. Also, the above basic AP drivers (with it included in their purchase of the vehicle after the $2000 increase to the automobile) could be offered a similar 1-time discount on FSD. I don’t feel it should be as discounted as those who purchased EAP, as most of the EAP purchasers did pay a significant amount more than $2000 for a couple additional features. However, it can be arrange in any way that seems fair.

Overall, this provides some type of value to every owner who purchased or did not purchase software with or for their vehicle, on top of being an amazing marketing idea, an increase of safety for all owners and drivers, and a way to finally put everything to rest.

This could be a final roll-out, if carried out correctly it should stop all this back dating ‘software discounts’ and ‘specials’ for specific vehicles, and stop all the confusion, and requests for discounts. Additionally it will help Tesla teams work on higher priority cases, instead of questions and requests for discounts, and streamline the software builds to only 3 versions. On top of making the entire fleet safer; which Tesla is absolutely about doing, the marketing and promotion would continually put them above every competitor.

Make it a 1 time announcement and offer. Fully notify all Tesla owners of the changes and updates, and notify them there will be no more offers or adjustments for previously purchased vehicles. Regarding new purchases of Tesla’s with AP included, and for those who did not purchase FSD, I think it’s fine to still include a 15-30 day trial of the features, and still offer a discounted or the orignal inclusion price to upgrade to FSD for a 7 day window. After that, they will not receive an adjusted price. The features at this point are different enough between AP and FSD for a customer to get a sense of the worth, or at least when stop sign and stop light detection has been rolled out in that area. Customers should be able to recognize the value of FSD and upgrade, if not already done when purchasing the vehicle.

I think Tesla needs to move past these backdated discounts etc, but at the same time I feel Tesla should make their entire capable fleet safer with basic AP for free, and as an amazing ‘thank you’ to the earlier adopters and every single driver/owner who has been improving the self driving network and helping Tesla get there. I think they should come out with an in car video or at least in the email, to show how their cars and drivers have helped create this network and improve capability toward FSD etc. So many amazing marketing avenues to go down with this.

Anyway, that’s my input, and also remember this is from someone who already paid for FSD and going to pay for another update with AP, and I don’t feel bad that I pay for it and some others can receive it for free. I think it’s the right thing to do, and provides a lot of safety to owners and drivers, and would be a huge win for Tesla and everyone involved.

Yep, but if Elon comes through it might only be about that much to upgrade from SR to SR+ and get both the extra range and AP.

I went ahead and just bit the bullet for $2k.

I hope Elon doesn't do the combo next week.My car is still labeled as SR+ on the car display so I'm hoping if/when that happens they unlock the 20 miles range as a courtesy. In the interim, I will charge to 100% and use the software lock.

Reactions: willow_hiller
+1 having bought it last night. It loaded in the car almost immediately. AP2.5 hardware on a 2018 AWD build. Took it out for a quick drive last night. What amazing technology. The only place I had to take control was on a 90 degree turn on a hill that's difficult for a human to navigate. Really impressed. Now if only I had somewhere to go during covid.

Reactions: willow_hiller
+1 having bought it last night. It loaded in the car almost immediately. AP2.5 hardware on a 2018 AWD build. Took it out for a quick drive last night. What amazing technology. The only place I had to take control was on a 90 degree turn on a hill that's difficult for a human to navigate. Really impressed. Now if only I had somewhere to go during covid.

it's jerky around 90 degree turns for me too.

I also don't care for the almost constant nags though. Hope that's more often on streets vs less on highway?

You get used to just sort of keeping some pressure on the steering wheel all the time without having to try to guess when the next 'nag' might happen.

Is it less on freeway vs streets or time based? Any good hacks? I've seen a bottle/weights used

I always keep my eyes on the road. Tesla needs to activate the in car camera like Caddy vs steering wheel nags.

Is it less on freeway vs streets or time based? Any good hacks? I've seen a bottle/weights used

I always keep my eyes on the road. Tesla needs to activate the in car camera like Caddy vs steering wheel nags.
It's longer when the Speed Limit above 55-60 (can't remember exact cut off)

DO NOT hang weights or anything .. that could prevent you from actually moving the wheel when you need to.

What I do is rest my hand on one side of bottom of the wheel (to the left or right of the bottom peg). It's no different than resting my hand on my leg or arm rest. I don't have to do anything but it provides enough resistance to the slight adjustments the car makes that I rarely get nagged. Bonus that my hand is actually on the wheel for when i need to make a quick correction.

It's longer when the Speed Limit above 55-60 (can't remember exact cut off)

DO NOT hang weights or anything .. that could prevent you from actually moving the wheel when you need to.

What I do is rest my hand on one side of bottom of the wheel (to the left or right of the bottom peg). It's no different than resting my hand on my leg or arm rest. I don't have to do anything but it provides enough resistance to the slight adjustments the car makes that I rarely get nagged. Bonus that my hand is actually on the wheel for when i need to make a quick correction.

yeah I don't want to defeat safety, I do keep my eyes on the road the whole time (habit from non AP cars)

I think I wasn't offering resistance when resting. I'll try that. Good to know nag's not as bad on freeways. I'll sign up again. BTW How does Tesla refund the payment back to card or check?