Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Elon give Autopilot free for 2018 or early 2019 buyers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it's highway vs paying FSD for city roads.

I wonder if the FSD monthly. model $ would include AP.

Base AP is TACC and single-lane autosteer.

You can turn either on anywhere.... though the manual explicitly states autosteer is only intended for controlled access divided highways.

FSD is a package of features (which required you to already have base AP before you can get it) that works in a bunch of different places (depending on the specific feature you're talking about)

On the highway it adds lane changing and navigate on autopilot for example

In the city it adds (in really early beta as of only a week or two ago) stopping for lights and stop signs.

Anyplace it's relevant it adds auto-park and summon.

(eventually FSD is promised to also add what they're now calling "autosteer for city streets".... technically you can turn AS on right now on city streets but it's not intended for that use and has no idea how to handle intersections, turn lanes, roundabouts, or anything like that)

Base AP is TACC and single-lane autosteer.

You can turn either on anywhere.... though the manual explicitly states autosteer is only intended for controlled access divided highways.

FSD is a package of features (which required you to already have base AP before you can get it) that works in a bunch of different places (depending on the specific feature you're talking about)

On the highway it adds lane changing and navigate on autopilot for example

In the city it adds (in really early beta as of only a week or two ago) stopping for lights and stop signs.

Anyplace it's relevant it adds auto-park and summon.

(eventually FSD is promised to also add what they're now calling "autosteer for city streets".... technically you can turn AS on right now on city streets but it's not intended for that use and has no idea how to handle intersections, turn lanes, roundabouts, or anything like that)

Our lanes are well marked here in PHX, so hoping I can use AP beyond highways... FSD is still too much unless there are any COVID specials

any updates for lower AP pricing? Elon's been busy with Fremont but hoping he uses this revenue stream

For what it is worth, I bought FSD to "future proof" and FOMO.
Summon, autopark, stop sign stopping, and NOA don't work well enough for me to make use of them.
The ONLY feature I really like from FSD is the auto lane changing which works well.
If you have basic AP, the one feature I think you are really missing is auto lane change.
Is it worth the price of FSD just to get that? Probably not, but once you have it, it is hard to live without.

Elon has said it should be available in the app to purchase next month. (He didn't specifically say at $2k this time, but he alluded to it in a prior tweet.)

June 5th, it's been two months since the announcement - have there been any updates? I asked a couple of Tesla reps and they had no new info for me. I'm wondering if this price adjustment will coincide with the July 1st FSD price increase for some reason.

Reactions: nja321 and vickh
Elon hints at free Autopilot with the purchase of FSD for those who don't have AP yet. Details to come tomorrow: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1274559471918804993
Elon won’t let you transfer FSD after paying $7k onto a new car after your first car was totaled. You purchased it so it’s yours and it should carry over. For this reason I am opting out from ever buying FSD.

Yes I understand that it’s a software but many software are transferred over from one computer to another once that first computer needs to be replaced. But at $7k - $8k that’s bad business not allowing the transfer of FSD into a new vehicle, especially when the car was totaled.

Note: I can see a service charge to install the new FSD software into the new car, but to be totally out 7k. Forget about it.

If you disagree with this statement, post a reason, the funny part is after it happens to you, I’m sure you will think differently.

Fred

Last edited:
Elon won’t let you transfer FSD after paying $7k onto a new car after your first car was totaled. You purchased it so it’s yours and it should carry over. For this reason I am opting out from ever buying FSD.

Yes I understand that it’s a software but many software are transferred over from one computer to another once that first computer needs to be replaced.

And many are not transferable to a new computer. OEM windows licenses for example- which are tied to the OEM hardware they are sold with.

That's why reading the terms is important.

The FSD license goes with the hardware- just like an OEM windows license does.

If you disagree with this statement, post a reason, the funny part is after it happens to you, I’m sure you will think differently.

Nonsense.

I gave a reason.

And not sure what "happens to me" even means- if my car is totaled that $7000 feature would be covered by the insurance and they'd pay for it on the replacement car.

That's why you HAVE insurance with replacement cost after all.

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus and Wennfred