Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will it fit: Powerwall+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I'm in the process with Tesla Energy to finalize the PW+ location. Initially, Tesla placed the PW+ on the exterior of the house facing SE (in sun pretty much all day). Based on the temperature guidelines in the PW+ specs sheet, the exterior location is not an ideal place for the install. Therefore, I've found the following location in my garage for PW+ install.

So the question is, will the PW+ fit in this space? Anyone got Tesla to install PW in such a tight space? How will they lift it and mount it on the wall?

PS: Tesla will conduct second a site assessment to look at this location in person but I want to make sure they don't deny the install to avoid redesign workload (i.e. the denial must be location specific).

Thanks!

pw-locatio-specs.jpg

Are you able to remove what looks to me was the water heater stand in that spot?

Are you able to at least temporarily remove the cabinet that shown in the photo?
Yeah, I will remove the water heater stand this week. Cabinet will remain in place. Per Tesla, there's enough space for the PW install.

Quick question, is there any requirements for gas line being near the PW? There's an existing gas line near the water heater stand with end cap on it. I'm not sure if that needs to be removed as well.

Regarding your mounting question, assuming there is there is enough space, Tesla will first mount a bracket on the wall. The powerwall hangs from and is attached to this bracket. They have a Powerwall lift that they maneuver by hand and crank to get lift the Powerwall to the bracket's height.

Im pretty sure they recommended outside because of all the additional stipulations for inside a garage. If I were you, I would also have a secondary position in your mind in place.
Good point. We went ended up in a different location than we originally planned for because of cement curb issues. I believe this was location options 3 or 4.

Im pretty sure they recommended outside because of all the additional stipulations for inside a garage. If I were you, I would also have a secondary position in your mind in place.
Yeah, the secondary position will be exterior mount (current location in the design).
Regarding your mounting question, assuming there is there is enough space, Tesla will first mount a bracket on the wall. The powerwall hangs from and is attached to this bracket. They have a Powerwall lift that they maneuver by hand and crank to get lift the Powerwall to the bracket's height.
Good point. We went ended up in a different location than we originally planned for because of cement curb issues. I believe this was location options 3 or 4.

I think there is enough space for the PW to be installed. Do you know if there's any requirements for spacing between PW and near by gas line?

Yeah, the secondary position will be exterior mount (current location in the design).

I think there is enough space for the PW to be installed. Do you know if there's any requirements for spacing between PW and near by gas line?

I am not a code expert by any means. I remember @holeydonut having to go down a rabbit hole about gas and grandfathering and 36 inches, but I dont know if thats "to the meter" or "to a gas line".

Something tells me that you will not be able to put a powerwall in that space unless its 3 feet from a gas line (36 inches), but I dont know that for a fact.

Reactions: komrade
I am not a code expert by any means. I remember @holeydonut having to go down a rabbit hole about gas and grandfathering and 36 inches, but I dont know if thats "to the meter" or "to a gas line".

Something tells me that you will not be able to put a powerwall in that space unless its 3 feet from a gas line (36 inches), but I dont know that for a fact.

The two problems I encountered with gas lines were:

1) the distance between the gas riser (the pipe coming up out of the ground) and the main service panel.
2) location of the grounding that are connected to the gas meter main.

I didn't encounter any issue with how close my powerwalls got to the gas lines in the house. Like I have a gas line in the wall that the powerwalls are hanging on, and nobody seemed to care. But I wonder if I would have been kicked in the face by CODES if the gas line was surface mounted.

To my knowledge, customer-owned rigid steel gas lines after the meter are not restricted. I do not think there would be any issue with installing the PW right over a gas line unless the inspector went kinda crazy.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
The two problems I encountered with gas lines were:

1) the distance between the gas riser (the pipe coming up out of the ground) and the main service panel.
2) location of the grounding that are connected to the gas meter main.

I didn't encounter any issue with how close my powerwalls got to the gas lines in the house. Like I have a gas line in the wall that the powerwalls are hanging on, and nobody seemed to care. But I wonder if I would have been kicked in the face by CODES if the gas line was surface mounted.
To my knowledge, customer-owned rigid steel gas lines after the meter are not restricted. I do not think there would be any issue with installing the PW right over a gas line unless the inspector went kinda crazy.
That's what I figured. Unless the inspector is really looking for failures, I don't think a gas line with end-cap on it will be a big deal.. :confused:

I think your width will be a problem. PWs are 30 inches wide and I recall my installer saying they need 1 foot space on each side.

Yeah, the fittings to run the cabling and conduit on my Powerwall are coming out the sides. I think you can run the cabling into the back side of the Powerwall, but that would mean the installer has to run stuff in the wall which adds a bunch of cost.

I think your width will be a problem. PWs are 30 inches wide and I recall my installer saying they need 1 foot space on each side.
From the PW installation manual, minimum "lateral wall space" is 37.8". PW+ is likely similar.

Width (per spec sheet): 755 mm
Minimum lateral wall space 960 mm
Minimum clearance from left side (air intake) 50 mm
Minimum clearance from right side (air exhaust) 150 mm
Minimum clearance above single Powerwall 50 mm
Minimum clearance above side-by-side Powerwalls 300 mm
Minimum clearance between side-by-side Powerwalls 250 mm
Maximum height above ground 1.5 m to bottom of unit

Cheers, Wayne

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
I think there's enough space to fit the PW in this location. An electrician came out from the local Tesla warehouse and he brought the PW mount with him.

See the following photo. He put the painters tape to mark the location of the PW. I will remove the electrical conduit on the bottom and patch the holes.

IMG_1505.jpg

PS: The location isn't confirmed yet since his feedback from the site visit will be looked at by the designer to make the final call.

Got an interesting update from the surveyor. He stated that the gas pipes can't be in the same room/garage as PW unless it's hidden. :mad:

Any thoughts on this situation?

PS: Found NEC 706.34(C) that may apply to this situation but I'm not entirely too sure. You can park your EV in the garage with gas water heater or similar items but can't have PW lol

Powerwall 2 have no exposed DC parts, and arent really a battery. They are an Energy Storage System Self contained (706.2). They contain all the ventilation, controls, and batteries in one self contained and listed unit.

Compare this with Battery system, which is a collection of components that are not listed together.

I would not define a garage as a dedicated battery room and haven't heard of any pushback when the Gas line runs along the interior of a garage wall with ESS next to it.

• Informative
Reactions: komrade