Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will legacy ever see V12?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to this forum. I was totally disheartened when I found out that the update I received for my 2020S just a few weeks ago (2024.2.7) meant I could not get FSD V12. Very disappointing. I've heard speculation that this was done because my vehicle doesn't have an internal camera and Tesla is concerned about their ability to monitor drivers. Is there any further information on this? I find FSD 11 very erratic but I'm on no position to buy a new car. As usual, Tesla is saying nothing on the matter.

• Informative
Reactions: Kohan
Comment from Tesla. I dont like the part about "trying to solve this". That's worrisome to me.

" Working to solve " is still better than everyone complaining about " getting nothing from tesla ". If V12 doesn't come, everyone with a legacy needs to bite the bullet and not buy tesla again though; otherwise, who cares? Elon told every single person that if you buy into these earlier cars, you were paying for the R&D to build a low cost, self driving car for the masses, didn't he?

Upvote 0
I was thinking a bit more about what might be required. If a center camera is required, there isn't an extra camera input in the V3 AP processor. So Tesla could need a new 3.1 AP processor with a ninth camera input. It would also need new wiring from the headliner to the AP processor for the new camera. This solution seems unlikely.

Another approach would be to replace the windshield triple camera with the new 2 front camera HW4 design and then have the cabin camera as well. That solves the wiring issue (3 cameras still going to the AP processor. This has its own set of issues, as I suspect Tesla only needs two front cameras with the new high-resolution cameras. Of course that may require HW4 AP processor to process the 4X+ data from each camera! Still, it might be possible for the V3 AP processor to handle the higher-resolution cameras in a clever way.

Anyway, I can see this being a can of worms for the developers - trying to work out a solution that can be economically implemented with the least amount of new hardware, yet take advantage of the massive amount of video data used to train the neural networks.

Upvote 0
New to this forum. I was totally disheartened when I found out that the update I received for my 2020S just a few weeks ago (2024.2.7) meant I could not get FSD V12. Very disappointing. I've heard speculation that this was done because my vehicle doesn't have an internal camera and Tesla is concerned about their ability to monitor drivers. Is there any further information on this? I find FSD 11 very erratic but I'm on no position to buy a new car. As usual, Tesla is saying nothing on the matter.

Really peeved Tesla is leaving all those who ponied up the cash for FSD in the lurch. Those who paid first should get it first (or at least get it). If it requires a hardware upgrade then Tesla should do it free of charge in an expedited manner. Or how about at least a full refund?

Upvote 0
I see no evidence it is related to a cabin camera. There are other differences too, aren’t there?
There are other issues, yes, and they are the same as they have been for a few years. It takes a different UI for legacy cars with vertical screens and the additional instrument cluster display. Until now that was it, but it was enough to delay updates for legacy cars on many occasions. With FSD V12 we have an additional integration of a cabin camera replacing the steering wheel torque for most cars. Emotion is high, we've all been lulled into not caring when our FSD updates came b/c they were all trash. Now its different and people forget these things...

I tend to believe the Tesla Biz Dev guy who posted on X that it's just 3% of the FSD Fleet, so it gets pushed to the bottom of the priority pile. My prediction is legacy gets V12 late (obviously) with no cabin camera, and the nag stays.

Upvote 0
Also, we 2020 and older cars have slower processors, and has been mentioned above, different video.
I don't think either of those are true, at least for vehicles with MCU2. Same Intel Atom processor as Model 3 vehicles. And with the upgraded cameras, which Tesla has retrofitted for free, the same cameras.

What is different are things like the brake booster, motors/inverters, etc. I think camera positions are also slightly different from "refresh" Model S/X because the body is slightly wider on the "refresh" vehicles. (At least I think that is the case.)

Still waiting for Tesla to release their validation process that they said would be published yesterday...

Upvote 0
Really peeved Tesla is leaving all those who ponied up the cash for FSD in the lurch. Those who paid first should get it first (or at least get it). If it requires a hardware upgrade then Tesla should do it free of charge in an expedited manner. Or how about at least a full refund?
I would like 35-50% discount on a new S/X with trade in of a legacy vehicle.

Upvote 0
Yah, much slower than the MCU2/AP3 in 2018 M3's.

No, it isn’t.

Both my Model X (2020) and Model 3 (2019) are almost identical in performance. They feel similar and have identical processors — but are divergent in many of the systems around the cpu. They’re different enough to warrant a different firmware build.

Upvote 0
No, it isn’t.

Both my Model X (2020) and Model 3 (2019) are almost identical in performance. They feel similar and have identical processors — but are divergent in many of the systems around the cpu. They’re different enough to warrant a different firmware build.
I was going to say that my 2017 S with mcu2 infotainment upgrade interface feels slower that our 2018 model 3. Especially if I’m streaming. Get wired clicking artifacts. Some navigation feels delayed.

Upvote 0