Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will legacy ever see V12?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to this forum. I was totally disheartened when I found out that the update I received for my 2020S just a few weeks ago (2024.2.7) meant I could not get FSD V12. Very disappointing. I've heard speculation that this was done because my vehicle doesn't have an internal camera and Tesla is concerned about their ability to monitor drivers. Is there any further information on this? I find FSD 11 very erratic but I'm on no position to buy a new car. As usual, Tesla is saying nothing on the matter.

• Informative
Reactions: Kohan
I got it this morning! The problem is, the update installed failed. I had a message on the screen saying it failed and I have to wait until the next update. The version they were installing was 2024.3.15 with FSD 12.3.4. Has anyone had a failed update install? As far as I know, this is the first time it has ever happed to my car.
2017 75D with upgraded MCU and cameras. I got the update this morning and mine failed as well.

Reactions: markn455
Upvote 0
it really all makes sense (now)... the goal was to push out a free trial asap to folks that may continue on with a subscription and hence raise revenue while vehicle sales are soft. Getting this out to legacy cars doesn't bring in revenue since folks have already paid and folks who haven't paid don't have the hardware to do the trial. Good on Tesla for coming through, and getting this done relatively quickly (but the wait was awful). Best part of the situation was the clear and honest communication from the Tesla exec (Rohan)

Upvote 0
New to this forum. I was totally disheartened when I found out that the update I received for my 2020S just a few weeks ago (2024.2.7) meant I could not get FSD V12. Very disappointing. I've heard speculation that this was done because my vehicle doesn't have an internal camera and Tesla is concerned about their ability to monitor drivers. Is there any further information on this? I find FSD 11 very erratic but I'm on no position to buy a new car. As usual, Tesla is saying nothing on the matter.
They are pushing 12 our to the legacy S&X for the last two days. My intstall failed but many is working great.

Upvote 0
They were free. Assume they still are for folks with FSD. Not sure what they are doing about free trial folks.

Submit a service request.
Thanks brkaus. Appreciate the info. I'll put in a request & see what it gets me.
I should have included that I already have FSD from a few years ago.

Dohhh! Just as I opened the Tesla app it told me I have a software update waiting (2024.3.15).
Now I'm a bit confused (nothing new). Does getting 2024.3.15 mean I already have updated cameras?
I recall updating to MCU3, but I don't recall taking it in for any updated cameras.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks brkaus. Appreciate the info. I'll put in a request & see what it gets me.

Dohhh! Just as I opened the Tesla app it told me I have a software update waiting (2024.3.15).
Now I'm a bit confused (nothing new). Does getting 2024.3.15 mean I already have updated cameras?
I recall updating to MCU3, but I don't recall taking it in for any updated cameras.
You may not need the cameras. They thought my car needed them but when they too a closer look, it already had them.

Upvote 0
Hope to those for whom the installation failed. tl;dr: Try it again from the car.

2016 Model S 75D (updated to MCU2, updated cameras)

Received update notification last night. I finally initiated it via app this evening. Failed fast with no recourse via app. Went inside vehicle, saw failure message. Went to 'Software.' It started searching for an update by itself. Waited many minutes (usually this resoves in seconds). It found 2024.3.15 (again). Downloaded in a few minutes. I prompted the installation from the download success icon, dismissing the scheduled delay. 2-min countdown started, and I walked away. Installation succeeded after about 50 minutes as estimated.

May take it for a spin after dinner!

Reactions: markn455
Upvote 0
No idea why, but my second install was successful, but it already has the same version queued for install again? lol
IMG_1149.jpeg

Upvote 0
Maybe I should not have wanted 2024.3.15 so much for my 2020 Model S. The first install failed and the second one started an hour later, got to 30% 2 hours ago and the app is not refreshing. Went out to the car got in and it’s dead, no screens, no AC. The doors work and it locks from the key fob. Now I am worried, never had it bricked.

Upvote 0