Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model X be perfect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a question that occurred to me as I've been following the latest Model S thread(s) on v5.0 and the new features.

As early Sig customers we've had our Model S for ~11 months now and it's amazing how much Tesla has changed and upgraded and ironed out bugs. I'm day dreaming about Model X coming now with all sorts of things being perfect from day one:

• Door handles - Check
  • Firmware v7.0 - Check
  • Bug free UI - Check
  • Voice Commands - Check
  • Charge options - Check
  • Windscreen wipers fixed - Check
  • Homelink perfect - Check
  • Connectivity - Check
  • AWD - Check
  • Performance Plus - Check
  • 3rd row seats -Check
  • Rear seat AC - Check
  • Mats - Check
  • Console options - Check
  • Cupholders - Check

Im sure i missed lots of things but the only untested part of Model X should be the falcon wing doors and that's a huge feature Tesla will make sure they get right. I'm really looking forward to this car!

Am I kidding myself?

The one thing that will be imperfect is that the Model X will be forced to have the (rather stupid IMO) pedestrian noisemaker. :)

The AWD will be there but largely untested, so there may be some complexities of the setup that have to be ironed out. That said, I presume that the Model X will be a much, much smoother roll-out.

Some of the things that concern me are the continuing issues with the Model S windshields, 12V systems and the initial issues they had with door handles, defrosters, body misalignments, etc. The Model X will add at a minimum falcon wing doors and AWD both of which have lots of potential glitches and longevity issues and may impact many other systems in the car. The big thing for me though is the comments owners of early S's have that when they drive the new ones, the cars are much tighter and more refined. It does seem that the people who bought the first 5000 or so got ones Tesla was still learning how to build.

Some of those lessons will doubtlessly carry over to the X, but there will be plenty of new lessons to be learned before the manufacturing is really sorted out I'm afraid. Of course, there's no way to know until they build a bunch, but I'm still thinking it may be better to request a car built after the first 3 months or so of production if getting an early VIN isn't an issue.

> Of course there is. You have to build test mules, you don't just "voila!" and there's a Model X AWD. [Doug_G]

I took the firm "NO!" from TM (re MS with AWD) to possibly mean: "we tried it out, but it blew up in our faces, so we're back to step one". Possibly. :confused:
--

Perfect? No. As close to perfect as any car has ever been...since Model S? Yes!

As long as I can have a rear hitch and the falcon doors don't leak ;) Can't wait to see, feel and drive the AWD. Really hope TM uses a different gear ratio to maximize efficiency.

Re: pedestrian noisemaker:

Is that a given?

The proposed rule as offered in February required it for all 2014 model year vehicles and beyond, used at speeds of 30 km/h or less. Automakers asked that it be delayed until 2018, but as the law was passed in 2010 requiring it, I'm not sure how lenient they will be.

Electric vehicle warning sounds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So it's not a complete given yet, but you can bet Model X will have to be designed & equipped for it for future years.

> Of course there is. You have to build test mules, you don't just "voila!" and there's a Model X AWD. [Doug_G]

I took the firm "NO!" from TM (re MS with AWD) to possibly mean: "we tried it out, but it blew up in our faces, so we're back to step one". Possibly. :confused:
--
Of course they're going to say that about selling a MS with AWD now (ask Apple about possible future products and you'll get a similar answer) but because the X is the same skateboard and they are going to offer AWD on the X they most definitely have an AWD S test mule out and about testing it.

It would certainly explain all the "prototypes" seen cruising around the bay area.

In fact, I'd wager that after they launch the X they will also offer an AWD S. Just a hunch. :wink:

Cheers!

Am I kidding myself?

I hope not. Dr. Sherman (my beautiful, brilliant best buddy) does not "embrace" technology. When we met she had never owned a TV and still refuses to get a cellphone. The X will be her car. She unabashedly loves my MS so I'm hopeful.
These are VERY exciting times for all of us. The only thing that would make me part with my MS is an identical MS with AWD. Very exciting indeed!