Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model X Plaid release finally fix shudder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears from multiple posts that the Rev D hardware isn't a permanent fix for the dreaded shudder. This means all MX owners may be stuck paying $2K/year (10-15K miles) in perpetuity for their vehicles, or alternatively learn to accept the issue.

This doesn't seem to be a sustainable long term option for the Model X platform. Would it be feasible to think if they are redesigning some of the motor design for Model X Plaid that they'd ensure they resolve this issue too? Otherwise I wonder if Tesla considers end of life for the MX as the MY takes off, then re-releases some new SUV off the Cyber Truck. These warranty claims are going to cost them a ton otherwise...

hmmm, I assume you are talking about the shutter in the front end on some cars while accelerating around 30 mph? If so, I had my fixed with the Rev D hardware last year. 20,000 miles since that time (I drive a lot on interstate) and never had an issue. The updated clevis mounts was the better improvement for me. That fix seems to work well for most people, but sounds like it doesn't for some?

Reactions: jboy210
Just keep a close eye on your rear wheels. Have a check from the rear of the car, low down. I left mine on low and after some months of not checking, when I did, I found the tires were dangerous to drive on - the tread had completely worn through on the inside edges.

I have been checking. But, so far the tires look like new, They are 20" so have longer life than the 22" and I only drive 8,000 miles or less a year

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I've had the halfshafts replaced on my vin 807 three times, the latest with the updated hardware and the issue hasn't returned, but I've also kept my suspension in low. What height do you drive around in?

That sounds typical. I'm going to guess your first couple of half-shaft replacements were before the latest rev and clevis mount design. Few people ever experience the replacements as a permanent fix. When I experienced it early last year, I did not bother getting them replaced as I knew from talking to people out at the plant, that the problem would likely return even if not being an aggressive drive on the accelerator. So I waited for the new Clevis mounts and then did the change. I drive in "standard" height all the time unless I am out on my sister's uneven gravel road where I put it in the highest setting for that 1 mile stretch of road. And to repeat, over 20K miles now with no issue, and yes, I do occasionally hit the accelerator hard on some of those very short merge ramps.

The 2021 X platform is the same so previous years, so the problem will still exist. Here's the problem, the X is based on the same platform as the S. The S was originally designed as a rear-wheel drive car. When they decided to add another motor to the front wheels they had to do that within the current constraints of the original platform. This essentially meant mounting the motor/gearbox higher up than would be ideal. Mounting the motor too high increases the downward angle of the axles (half-shafts) and therefore increases the stress and binding forces on the cv joints (flexible joints of the half-shafts). The weight of the X coupled with high torque motors with the excessive angle of the half-shafts can quickly deform the insides of the cv joints and then you have vibration. This is much less common on the S because it sits lower and therefore has a more straight angle in the half-shafts.
So what can be done to reduce the angle of the half-shafts is to lower the vehicle a bit. The problem with this is that it changes the geometry of the suspension which now eats up your rear tires. They created an acceleration shudder kit that addresses all of these issues to help eliminate the vibration and preserve you tires. More details and thorough explanation here:

The 2021 X platform is the same so previous years, so the problem will still exist. Here's the problem, the X is based on the same platform as the S. The S was originally designed as a rear-wheel drive car. When they decided to add another motor to the front wheels they had to do that within the current constraints of the original platform. This essentially meant mounting the motor/gearbox higher up than would be ideal. Mounting the motor too high increases the downward angle of the axles (half-shafts) and therefore increases the stress and binding forces on the cv joints (flexible joints of the half-shafts). The weight of the X coupled with high torque motors with the excessive angle of the half-shafts can quickly deform the insides of the cv joints and then you have vibration. This is much less common on the S because it sits lower and therefore has a more straight angle in the half-shafts.
So what can be done to reduce the angle of the half-shafts is to lower the vehicle a bit. The problem with this is that it changes the geometry of the suspension which now eats up your rear tires. They created an acceleration shudder kit that addresses all of these issues to help eliminate the vibration and preserve you tires. More details and thorough explanation here:

I think you described it very good! Indeed!

But why can't Tesla change the half-shafts and the joints to something better? Today they use the conventional solution with a type of tripod joint near the gearbox to take the axial movement and a solid shaft to the genuine cv joint near the the wheel.
There are other solutions with a genuine cv joint inboard and a ball spline half-shaft for the axial movement and a genuine cv joint at the wheel which could take higher downward angles. I know there are other SUV:s on the market using this principle, for instance some Volvo SUV:s.
There are at least one company i know which is produced such half-shafts GKN.

It is so that Tesla just ignore such shafts because probably they are somewhat more expensive or are there some reasons? I think Tesla is ignoring customers in a bad way because this a very common fault especially for X model.

GKN.png

But why can't Tesla change the half-shafts and the joints to something better? Today they use the conventional solution with a type of tripod joint near the gearbox to take the axial movement and a solid shaft to the genuine cv joint near the the wheel.
There are other solutions with a genuine cv joint inboard and a ball spline half-shaft for the axial movement and a genuine cv joint at the wheel which could take higher downward angles. I know there are other SUV:s on the market using this principle, for instance some Volvo SUV:s.

It is so that Tesla just ignore such shafts because probably they are somewhat more expensive or are there some reasons? I think Tesla is ignoring customers in a bad way because this a very common fault especially for X model.

View attachment 645944
It all comes down to engineering a part that wont break the bank for tesla. Also to mass produce such a part for all the model xs ever made which has this issue. There is a simple fix. Put it in very low and chill mode and drive like this all the time. It’ll fix your problem for sure.

It all comes down to engineering a part that wont break the bank for tesla. Also to mass produce such a part for all the model xs ever made which has this issue. There is a simple fix. Put it in very low and chill mode and drive like this all the time. It’ll fix your problem for sure.
I was told to “avoid spirited driving”. Literally. I was like “I have a P90D because I like spirited driving...”. Goodness gracious.

View attachment 645944
Elon Musk admission

Shareholder Meeting transcript 6/6/2017

Article: 7 things we learned from Elon Musk’s Tesla shareholder meeting

Attachments

• 543612C0-48F5-4675-86C4-D2BBACD90A1F.jpeg
    543612C0-48F5-4675-86C4-D2BBACD90A1F.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: Jetpad