Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model Y be De-optioned to Follow Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Reeler

Decade of Pure EV Driving
Oct 14, 2015
Denver, CO
Since the time that many ordered their Model Y, we have seen many options be pulled from the Model 3. Is it safe to presume the same happened with the Model Y orders? For example, no Homelink, free Nav data for life, frunk carpet, 50 Amp 240V adapter for portable charger, etc.

The order process is conveniently vague on details so why not exclude things and get extra money from buyers?

The one item that baffles me is HomeLink. It is an included feature at higher trim levels in so many cars today. Rather than make it an option, just add the cost to the vehicle price and be done with it. I get that not everyone has a need for it and can therefore save some money by not getting it but seriously, an industry standard garage door opener? Really? And just what is the percent of Tesla owners who live in places without garages like some apartments/condos/etc.? I would guess pretty low. Odd.

It's odd that they offer it as a standalone option, which goes against the option simplification that you see everywhere else with Teslas.

On the other hand, all of the Toyotas I've owned have come with Homelink and I've never had the opportunity to use it, so the feature is totally wasted on me.

But why does my pre-order agreement say homelink included, but it's not?

I think the key is "pre" -- Tesla seems to rely on everything being "subject to change" until it actually delivers the vehicle.

Although it's not a big deal to me personally since I don't have a use for it, I agree that publishing it and then removing it is disappointing behavior, even if it is "subject to change." The right thing to do would have been to honor it for those who ordered it while it was specified as an included feature.

Reactions: Reeler
I think the key is "pre" -- Tesla seems to rely on everything being "subject to change" until it actually delivers the vehicle.

Although it's not a big deal to me personally since I don't have a use for it, I agree that publishing it and then removing it is disappointing behavior, even if it is "subject to change." The right thing to do would have been to honor it for those who ordered it while it was specified as an included feature.

Totally agree with you. Not sure when Tesla change the web page and took the feature off the list. I think the right thing to do is to include the feature for buyers ordered before the page change.