Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will my 3 have traffic aware cruise control if I don't buy Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
One thing I am a bit confused on is the Traffic Aware Cruise Control. That maintains following distance in rush hour traffic. If I do not buy any autopilot levels of options at all, a totally base level Model 3 car, will it still have this TACC thing and follow rush hour cars moving slowly and steer itself?

One thing I am a bit confused on is the Traffic Aware Cruise Control. That maintains following distance in rush hour traffic. If I do not buy any autopilot levels of options at all, a totally base level Model 3 car, will it still have this TACC thing and follow rush hour cars moving slowly and steer itself?
If Tesla follows what they are doing with the S and X, the answer to your question is "No".

If you do not buy the EAP option on the S/X you get cruise control which will hold the speed you set but will not automatically maintain a distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.

There's an intermediary autopilot option speculation on model3tracker.info: Autopilot Convenience Features with enhanced capabilities - would "enhanced" not include dynamic cruise control?
Enhanced Autopilot aka EAP does include dynamic cruise control and more. The OP was asking if the base model would have dynamic cruise control. The answer to that is no. In order to get it you would need to buy at least EAP.

Tesla needs you to buy AP package to pay for the Tesla vision hardware.

No way they give that out as part of a 35k base package.
Except Elon said it will at the Model 3 launch... so there's that.

Keep in mind camera sensors are only a few dollars.

tesla-model-3-standard-autopilot-hardware.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: garsh and diesel
In my case, I'm not wealthy and only so much to spend beyond the base price. So I have to decide between dual motor (needed for snow) or autopilot. It's tough trying to decide which safety feature is more important. IMO Autopilot is too expensive for the average joe.
Go for the dual motor, it adds physical hardware. The autopilot options can be added at a later date with software. So you can add it once you've saved up the money to pay for it. However, it will cost you a bit more as Tesla adds a fee (possibly $500 or more) if you add an option after the initial purchase. Plus you will get the safety features like Automatic Emergency Braking in the base model. You can't reasonably add a second motor down the line.

Reactions: 2early4flapjacks