Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla autorun USB sticks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks.

I plan on making a dummy USB drive that's plugged into my tesla loaded with a usb with some autorun script loaded if plugged into a windows system. It's basically a tracking program so I know where the "would be thief" is (because they are getting smart nowadays and removing the usb thief after breaking in). I was wondering if it is safe to plug this into tesla's usb port.

I am hoping that TESLA doesn't auto execute any windows program.

Hey folks.

I plan on making a dummy USB drive that's plugged into my tesla loaded with a usb with some autorun script loaded if plugged into a windows system. It's basically a tracking program so I know where the "would be thief" is (because they are getting smart nowadays and removing the usb thief after breaking in). I was wondering if it is safe to plug this into tesla's usb port.

I am hoping that TESLA doesn't auto execute any windows program.

This is unlikely to work for any Windows since 7 anyway, and AV (most of) might stop autorun anyway.

Autorun doesn't work in Windows anymore either. Most "hackers" these days use these fake USB keys that pretend to be a keyboard and just send a bunch of keystrokes as soon as they’re attached. Unfortunately something like that wouldn’t work as an actual USB drive for the Tesla.

If this really becomes an issue maybe someone will come up with a USB stick/drive that can be locked down to the car somehow. Are there any exposed bolts/screws in that compartment?

Autorun doesn't work in Windows anymore either. Most "hackers" these days use these fake USB keys that pretend to be a keyboard and just send a bunch of keystrokes as soon as they’re attached. Unfortunately something like that wouldn’t work as an actual USB drive for the Tesla.

If this really becomes an issue maybe someone will come up with a USB stick/drive that can be locked down to the car somehow. Are there any exposed bolts/screws in that compartment?

I am actually going very deep into this right now. To the point where I am disassembling the center console, but I want to figure out a way that doesn't involve drilling a hole anywhere so it is taking a while.

In any case, since autorun doesn't work. I am just thinking about a fake excel installer or something. There was some experiment where people left usb somewhere with Microsoft something on it and 80% of the time people execute it thinking they'd get free software. Anyway, the primary function of the fake usb is letting the thief think they got the teslcam footage, secondary is providing extra evidence for the police to track them down (assuming they are not part of the homeless, then I can sue to recover damages)

Reactions: Phlier
I am actually going very deep into this right now. To the point where I am disassembling the center console, but I want to figure out a way that doesn't involve drilling a hole anywhere so it is taking a while.

In any case, since autorun doesn't work. I am just thinking about a fake excel installer or something. There was some experiment where people left usb somewhere with Microsoft something on it and 80% of the time people execute it thinking they'd get free software. Anyway, the primary function of the fake usb is letting the thief think they got the teslcam footage, secondary is providing extra evidence for the police to track them down (assuming they are not part of the homeless, then I can sue to recover damages)
So you are planning to put a virus/malware inside the usb pen so if a thief stole it they get screwed
The point is, if i were a thief and stole your usb card i would simply destroy it, format it or similar, i wouldn't check the filed inside
If you really want to do something similar just search for a gps tracked disguised as an usb hd o similar, don't try to be an hacker, it would probably have a low success anyway since you cleary aren't one, and this isn't the right forum for searching info about

No. Tesla runs Linux and the way they build their software it doesn't execute anything.

A few scripts are triggered when you insert a USB, but that's all. It does not execute anything on there. That would be a serious security flaw as well.

I can understand a thief taking the USB drive, but why would they want to do anything with it other than trash it?

No idea. The thief around my area are drug addiction based. I suspect they smashed the window to get to the usb drive. They are know to smash windows for one dollar.

And I am also suspecting that they are learning about this free usb drive in every tesla around where I live. Won't know the real reason till I catch one.

But ya, a disguised gps tracker might be better than writting my own tracking program

No idea. The thief around my area are drug addiction based. I suspect they smashed the window to get to the usb drive. They are know to smash windows for one dollar.

And I am also suspecting that they are learning about this free usb drive in every tesla around where I live. Won't know the real reason till I catch one.

But ya, a disguised gps tracker might be better than writting my own tracking program
Are there actual (confirmed) reports of thieves breaking into Teslas to steal a hidden USB drive either as the primary or secondary objective? The thieves around here just smash a window to take what's left in plain sight or to flip down the rear seats to see if there's anything to take out of the trunk. They're in and out in a matter of seconds. They don't spend time rummaging through the console to retrieve a USB drive (if they even know about it) and risk setting off the alarm or being spotted by a passerby. If anything, they'd simply don a hoodie to hide their faces from the Sentry Mode cameras.

Have you seen the Jeda Hub? It basically hides the USB so it's not so obvious to thiefs.
I'm going to get one, with the following plan...

I have a Raspberry Pi setup to automatically send the "saved" folder of TeslaCam videos to a shared folder on my PC when the Pi attaches itself to the home WiFi. The Pi will go inside the Jeda Hub, behind the closed cover.

The Jeda hub also has four external USB ports. I'm going to put a USB drive in one of those ports as a "steal this" type of thing. The thief will immediately see this drive and grab it, thinking he's got the sentry cam footage, which will actually be on the Pi, safely (hopefully) tucked out of view inside the Jeda compartment.

The Jeda hub does a pretty good job of not looking like anything out of the ordinary; a quick cursory glance at the hub doesn't really look different than what you would normally see without the hub being there... if that makes sense.

I'm going to get one, with the following plan...

I have a Raspberry Pi setup to automatically send the "saved" folder of TeslaCam videos to a shared folder on my PC when the Pi attaches itself to the home WiFi. The Pi will go inside the Jeda Hub, behind the closed cover.

The Jeda hub also has four external USB ports. I'm going to put a USB drive in one of those ports as a "steal this" type of thing. The thief will immediately see this drive and grab it, thinking he's got the sentry cam footage, which will actually be on the Pi, safely (hopefully) tucked out of view inside the Jeda compartment.

If you do that you might as well format the USB drive for music. Unless you need the syncing features of the Pi W as well.

Reactions: Phlier
Are there actual (confirmed) reports of thieves breaking into Teslas to steal a hidden USB drive either as the primary or secondary objective? The thieves around here just smash a window to take what's left in plain sight or to flip down the rear seats to see if there's anything to take out of the trunk. They're in and out in a matter of seconds. They don't spend time rummaging through the console to retrieve a USB drive (if they even know about it) and risk setting off the alarm or being spotted by a passerby. If anything, they'd simply don a hoodie to hide their faces from the Sentry Mode cameras.

Teslas are targeted in my area. That is a pretty well known fact. Even the insurance lady I talk to said so.
I leave my car seats down in the back so they can see the trunk. I opened my glove box and all the stuff in the center console except for the little piece hiding the usb key and mine still got broken into with the only thing missing being the usb stick. There's literally nothing else in the car.

Not sure if they smashed the windows to take a peak inside, then took the teslcam to ensure they are not seen or if they just found it after rummaging through everything. Need to actually be able to hide it first and watch the footage later to know what they are actually thinking.

However, most of you do not understand how bad it is in areas where petty crimes are not enforced and the politicians are afraid of the whole industry catering to people that are undermined in society. The police will not show up even if you call them. Nobody will act and there are no repercussion so they can take their time. An owner has to sue the thief in a civil lawsuit to get anything back. The most they will get is thrown into jail for 1 day and released the next IF the police happens to be walking right by, but being in an underground garage, it won't happen.

Teslas are targeted in my area. That is a pretty well known fact. Even the insurance lady I talk to said so.
I leave my car seats down in the back so they can see the trunk. I opened my glove box and all the stuff in the center console except for the little piece hiding the usb key and mine still got broken into with the only thing missing being the usb stick. There's literally nothing else in the car.

Not sure if they smashed the windows to take a peak inside, then took the teslcam to ensure they are not seen or if they just found it after rummaging through everything. Need to actually be able to hide it first and watch the footage later to know what they are actually thinking.

However, most of you do not understand how bad it is in areas where petty crimes are not enforced and the politicians are afraid of the whole industry catering to people that are undermined in society. The police will not show up even if you call them. Nobody will act and there are no repercussion so they can take their time. An owner has to sue the thief in a civil lawsuit to get anything back. The most they will get is thrown into jail for 1 day and released the next IF the police happens to be walking right by, but being in an underground garage, it won't happen.
Don't know where you are, but I'm in the the SF Bay Area, the epicenter of smash and grabs, with Teslas specifically targeted. So, I'm not naive about the issue.

I think it would be much practical to embed gps tracker into the usb.