Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla continue to change/improve EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

There is a lot of talk about what features are supposedly coming to FSD and EAP. Can someone clearly lay out the differences between those two services/products as it stands now and announced future plans?

For reference, I have a MR3 with EAP (that I paid $3K for.) I use EAP on the highway every day and I love it. Will EAP be changing for me?

Thank you in advance for any clarification.

FSD is the "Full-Self-Driving Capability" upgrade one can select when ordering their car, or purchase later for a higher price.

EAP is the "Early Access Program/Preview" which is a small selection of people who are, under an NDA, given earlier builds of the car to preview before they are released to the 'fleet' in general, for the purposes of testing the changes in real-world settings with users who presumably are good at sending in feedback.

EAP is also "Enhanced Autopilot", a which was once an upgrade option distinct from Autopilot. It offers much of what the FSD upgrade entails (e. g. auto-lane-change, navigate on autopilot), but it's not 100% clear where the line will be drawn.

An NDA is a "Non-Disclosure Agreement", wherein the party seeing the early release agrees not to reveal details about it to unauthorized persons. Some people aren't very good at this which is why you saw Enhanced Summon videos cropping up on YouTube in the past few weeks.

Last edited:
FSD is the "Full-Self-Driving Capability" upgrade one can select when ordering their car, or purchase later for a higher price.

EAP is the "Early Access Program/Preview" which is a small selection of people who are, under an NDA, given earlier builds of the car to preview before they are released to the 'fleet' in general, for the purposes of testing the changes in real-world settings with users who presumably are good at sending in feedback.

An NDA is a "Non-Disclosure Agreement", wherein the party seeing the early release agrees not to reveal details about it to unauthorized persons. Some people aren't very good at this which is why you saw Enhanced Summon videos cropping up on YouTube in the past few weeks.
Oh, wow. Was I off. I thought EAP was ENHANCED AUTO PILOT. :)

I think in this context the OP may be taking EAP to mean "Enhanced Autopilot" which was a separately-priced option at one point. There are various charts around that have attempted to map out the features included in various flavors of autopilot and FSD that could be purchased at different points in time and at different prices. It's as clear as mud, and I'm not sure you'll ever get a firm answer since Tesla seemed to change the terms and plans almost daily for a while there...

Oh, wow. Was I off. I thought EAP was ENHANCED AUTO PILOT. :)
It is. And that is the EAP I assume you were referring to in your post that started this thread. But that acronym is also used for the Early Access Program.

Like you, I have a Model 3 with EAP. Mine was built August 2018.

There is no way for us to know with certainty what changes/improvements Tesla will make to our EAP software now that Tesla has restructured the Auto Pilot features into the base/standard package of TACC and Auto Steer and everything else is part of the FSDC option. Our EAP contains a number of features that now only available in FSDC.

My opinion, based on almost 6 years of Tesla ownership, is that the existing features in EAP will continue to be improved in subtle and significant ways but no new features will be added.

I do think Tesla has made clear that EAP will never be capable of fully autonomous driving on city streets. EAP will remain focused on use on divided/restricted access highways with no cross traffic.

Reactions: wolfwill23
So do you think those of us who purchased the $3K EAP will be seeing any new features?

I don't see why Tesla would be motivated to add new features to EAP when they've made this clear demarcation between standard AP and FSD for a while. It's kind of a nice thing that early adopters got without having to pay the full price FSD package. A lot of us have since gone on to purchase the FSD option the few times Tesla has temporarily dropped the price on it. I don't even remember what was in the EAP package and haven't kept track of what's been added to FSD only since I've had FSD for a while now.

which was once an upgrade option distinct from Autopilot. It offers much of what the FSD upgrade entails (e. g. auto-lane-change, navigate on autopilot), but it's not 100% clear where the line will be drawn.

EAP does not include automatic driving on city streets, and sign/light recognition and response. That line is clear. That's the difference between FSD and EAP.

EAP definitely includes Smart Summon, and almost certainly includes Smark Park too (just because EAP has Autopark so it seems likely). Everything except those two FSD features above.

Beyond that, it is of course a little more complicated as the software evolves - some improved NoA things may only be possible on HW3, etc. But we're definitely not to that point yet - when widespread HW3 installations start taking place then we'll know we are crossing that bridge.

So do you think those of us who purchased the $3K EAP will be seeing any new features?

Yes. Enhanced Summon 100% for sure, and it sounds like an improved version of Autopark.

To the extent it is possible with HW2.5, Tesla will also continue to push active safety improvements - even things like stop light/sign recognition and response for emergency stops, possibly. Those are standard on every car up to the limits of the hardware. But they will be jarring events, not "everyday use" features.

Last edited:
With AP now a forced standard on the base SR+. EAP is a slightly hybrid of AP and FSD.

Going forward, any FSD improvements made that's grandfathered into EAP may(should) see said improvements. Also as basic AP improves, EAP functions would also improve along side and they're all calling/using the same algorithms.

FSD will drive the car the entire length (when it works and is approved). EAP will not and remain at best, NoA on controlled highway/freeways.

So, will EAP improve as AP/FSD improves? Yes, but won't offer the full capabilities FSD would offer.

Wait, what? Are Smart Summon and Smart Park current features? I don't have either.

Right now EAP (Enhanced Autopilot, not Early Access Program) owners have regular Summon, and Autopark. Both are basically hot garbage.

EAP owners are definitely getting Smart Summon. (No question about that one - Elon has confirmed it. Elon Musk on Twitter - you do have to have Enhanced Autopilot though, if you have AP and HW2.5 pretty sure you don't get it.)

They are probably (in my estimation) getting "Smart Park". But we don't know a lot about Smart Park right now other than maybe it will come in software version 10.1.

Right now EAP (Enhanced Autopilot, not Early Access Program) owners have regular Summon, and Autopark. Both are basically hot garbage.

EAP owners are definitely getting Smart Summon. (No question about that one - Elon has confirmed it.)

They are probably (in my estimation) getting "Smart Park". But we don't know a lot about Smart Park right now other than maybe it will come in software version 10.1.

Hmmmm...I paid the $3K for EAP but don't seem to have Summon or Autopark. Are they on the app?

Hmmmm...I paid the $3K for EAP but don't seem to have Summon or Autopark. Are they on the app?

Summon is in the app. Autopark does not show up except on rare occasions.

If you don't have Summon in the app, Tesla has just screwed up and didn't get the memo that you bought EAP (sounds like in early 2019 is when you bought). It was confusing for a bit there, so not surprised - especially if you bought after purchase. If you don't have Summon, you should contact Tesla. They'll be really confused now of course since they'll think you're talking about Enhanced Summon.

If you have NoA, then you have your EAP, and you just didn't notice it in the app.

I don't recommend use of Summon, personally. I guess it is fun once or twice. Can be useful for some people in certain parking situations.

Hopefully: Tesla may offer the fleet a la carte options for purchase via the car management online/app for a premium as a revenue source.

Autolane Change (No)
Autopark (No)
AutoPilot (Yes)
Enhanced Summon (Yes)
Full Self Driving (No)

This combination may restrict Enhanced Summon to parking lots only. No actual roadways as FSD is not purchased. Thoughts?

Autopark just shows a P in a round circle on the display when it is available. You then put the car in reverse and press start.
You may have never driven in a way that triggers the P as you have to meet certain requirements to get it to look for parking spaces.
I don't think there's any other way to know if the feature is available.
Read the manual for an explanation of how it works.

Summon is in the app. Autopark does not show up except on rare occasions.

If you don't have Summon in the app, Tesla has just screwed up and didn't get the memo that you bought EAP (sounds like in early 2019 is when you bought). It was confusing for a bit there, so not surprised - especially if you bought after purchase. If you don't have Summon, you should contact Tesla. They'll be really confused now of course since they'll think you're talking about Enhanced Summon.

If you have NoA, then you have your EAP, and you just didn't notice it in the app.

I don't recommend use of Summon, personally. I guess it is fun once or twice. Can be useful for some people in certain parking situations.

Oh man! I feel cheated! I don't have those features.

Autopark just shows a P in a round circle on the display when it is available. You then put the car in reverse and press start.
You may have never driven in a way that triggers the P as you have to meet certain requirements to get it to look for parking spaces.
I don't think there's any other way to know if the feature is available.
Read the manual for an explanation of how it works.

Yeah, have never seen the P. They didn't seem to turn it on for my car.

Beyond smart summon rolling out as we speak? Probably not.

MAYBE smart park, but nothing else. Technically with smart summon EAP is now feature complete based on the features promised when it was sold.

Also keep in mind, all EAP-only cars ever made are HW2.x

When Tesla finally rolls out the HW3-native neural net and code updates (right now it's basically just emulating the 2.x code) then it's likely all new development will be focused there- and improvements to even basic AP on 3.x won't necessarily come to any 2.x car.

Oh man! I feel cheated! I don't have those features.

Yes, you have been “cheated” since you said you paid $3k for EAP. You need to have Tesla push the enable of the features to you. If you paid for EAP and you do not have NoA or auto lane change, etc., you are not getting what you paid for (you apparently have only regular AP enabled).

Nothing to worry about - just contact Tesla and have them fix it remotely.