Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla continue to change/improve EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Summon is in the app. Autopark does not show up except on rare occasions

Autopark can be consistently turned on if you understand the criteria for AutoPark. These are the methods I use to get it turn on:

• Find a parking space where there are cars on adjacent sides
  • Drive slowly (<5 MPH) past BOTH of those parked vehicles with an empty spot in between where both cars would be detectable with the ultrasonics. This typically means you'll be driving on the opposite side of how you'd normally park your car when searching for a spot.
  • The P icon for AutoPark should show up as you past the 2nd car, and if not try stopping completely because it might take a second or 2 for for it show up as you drive past it.
  • The AutoPark will ALWAYS reverse into a standard parking spot. Situation is similar for Parallel Parking
I've probably done autopark a few dozen times to show off to people but since its typically so slow, I only use it to demo to people rather than actually functional use.

Autopark can be consistently turned on if you understand the criteria for AutoPark. These are the methods I use to get it turn on:

• Find a parking space where there are cars on adjacent sides
  • Drive slowly (<5 MPH) past BOTH of those parked vehicles with an empty spot in between where both cars would be detectable with the ultrasonics. This typically means you'll be driving on the opposite side of how you'd normally park your car when searching for a spot.
  • The P icon for AutoPark should show up as you past the 2nd car, and if not try stopping completely because it might take a second or 2 for for it show up as you drive past it.
  • The AutoPark will ALWAYS reverse into a standard parking spot. Situation is similar for Parallel Parking

Oh, I understand how to bring it up reliably, it's just not particularly useful to me, since 1) I never park next to other cars and 2) I can't be bothered with doing exactly the right sequence to reliably bring something up, when I'm obviously in a good position to back into a spot.

I'd like them to have more persistence for the P option - it's kind of fiddly right now - really it is most useful for me for parallel parking and often I'll do one thing wrong and then the P is gone forever and I'm not going to fiddle around backing up then moving forward and trying to waiting for it to appear/trigger again.

That's why I am hoping for a Smart Park. It sounds like exactly what I need. Though the videos of Smart Summon still ignoring lines makes me worried...hopefully that's just trolling though.

Reached out to my Tesla salesperson for clarification and this was his response:

"Those items are part of the Full Self-Driving feature. You can log in through Tesla.com, it'll show you your current software, and what the price would be if you want to upgrade"

That is not correct. If you purchased Enhanced Autopilot (not regular Autopilot), then you should have them. Check your MVPA and your account for your car (as he suggested). If you bought it after the vehicle, then check your receipt for that.

Last edited:
Reached out to my Tesla salesperson for clarification and this was his response:

"Those items are part of the Full Self-Driving feature. You can log in through Tesla.com, it'll show you your current software, and what the price would be if you want to upgrade"

Does your car show 'Navigate on Auto Pilot" as an option. That is only on EAP or FSD cars so if you have that you should have the other EAP features.
If you only have Auto Pilot and Auto Steer then you either are missing features you should have or not remembering what you actually purchased. The prices and options have changed so much it is confusing.
AP / EAP and FSD are all different. EAP is no longer available for new cars so only cars bought in a certain window and paid extra have that.
I thought EAP was a $5K option not a $3K option? AP used to be a paid option for $2 or $3K but is now included with all cars.
FSD was always extra on top, was $3K more than EAP when EAP was $5K and is now $6K on top of the included AP.

Pointing this all out because maybe you paid extra for AP not EAP when you bought your car?

Reactions: wolfwill23
Hopefully: Tesla may offer the fleet a la carte options for purchase via the car management online/app for a premium as a revenue source.

Autolane Change (No)
Autopark (No)
AutoPilot (Yes)
Enhanced Summon (Yes)
Full Self Driving (No)

This combination may restrict Enhanced Summon to parking lots only. No actual roadways as FSD is not purchased. Thoughts?

I wouldn't mind seeing a la carte options as I purchased AP after I got my car in Feb 2019. EAP was already gone by then so I ended up purchasing the basic AP. I would get the autopark and basic summon features to do basic reverse/forward out of a tight parking spot that is too hard to get into, thanks to a couple of cars who parked too close to me on both sides after I parked. Also I would like to have the autolane change feature as well for my autopilot, just click on signal and car will change to the signaled lane for me.

I thought EAP was a $5K option not a $3K option?

I think you are right about this. But there are instances of people getting reduced-price one-off offers from time to time. But most likely, yes, he just bought AP (that was the price after Feb 28th 2019 after vehicle purchase). Obviously should not be hard to determine what was purchased.

Emailed Tesla and here's their reply.

When you purchased your vehicle in March and paid the $3k, that was for the BASIC Autopilot package.

· Full Self Driving would have been an addition charge on top of the $3k that you paid.

· Basic autopilot did not become standard with vehicle’s until April 11th.

After reviewing your Purchase Agreement, the configuration for your vehicle correctly reflects what was paid for.

I basically missed the standard auto pilot by 21 days. I wonder if they'll do anything for me since it was so close.

When you purchased your vehicle in March and paid the $3k, that was for the BASIC Autopilot package.

· Full Self Driving would have been an addition charge on top of the $3k that you paid.

After reviewing your Purchase Agreement, the configuration for your vehicle correctly reflects what was paid for.

I basically missed the standard auto pilot by 21 days. I wonder if they'll do anything for me since it was so close.
I doubt it, but good luck. That sucks
That was definitely a confusing time with pricing.

Out of curiosity, what are they quoting to add FSD after delivery these days? is it $6000? (same as current option price when purchasing new) or is it more for purchasing after delivery?

I believe when they moved Autopilot to standard they also changed the price for FSD to $6K - so basically the same

I doubt it, but good luck. That sucks
That was definitely a confusing time with pricing.

Out of curiosity, what are they quoting to add FSD after delivery these days? is it $6000? (same as current option price when purchasing new) or is it more for purchasing after delivery?

They're quoting $6K. I emailed asking for FSD for free or at a huge discount due to missing standard auto pilot by 21 days.

Not sure why you believe you should get, or are entitled to, FSD for free or a huge discount. Others paid up to 8k or more for FSD (or a combination of Enhanced Autopilot and FSD). Enhanced Autopilot was a prerequisite for FSD. You got what you paid for. When I bought my car, EAP was 5k and FSD was 3k. After delivery, FSD was raised to 4k and then there was a 'sale' for 2k for a while. I bought it then so I ended up paying 7k for FSD (combination EAP and FSD). No complaints here, as I believe it will only go up as time passes.

Not sure why you believe you should get, or are entitled to, FSD for free or a huge discount. Others paid up to 8k or more for FSD (or a combination of Enhanced Autopilot and FSD). Enhanced Autopilot was a prerequisite for FSD. You got what you paid for. When I bought my car, EAP was 5k and FSD was 3k. After delivery, FSD was raised to 4k and then there was a 'sale' for 2k for a while. I bought it then so I ended up paying 7k for FSD (combination EAP and FSD). No complaints here, as I believe it will only go up as time passes.

Paying $3K for a feature that is included standard 21 days later leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I think it's fair to ask if Tesla can do anything since the timing was so close.

They're quoting $6K. I emailed asking for FSD for free or at a huge discount due to missing standard auto pilot by 21 days.

Prices change all the time, and there were some who did really well.

However, most people with EAP paid $5k, so if anything you “should” pay $2k. They won’t give you that option though. Certainly FSD for free does not make a lot of sense.

Troy Teslike on Twitter
E0576905-22E5-4158-9C5F-6DB0CDBA8C28.jpeg

Paying $3K for a feature that is included standard 21 days later leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I think it's fair to ask if Tesla can do anything since the timing was so close.

Enhanced Autopilot is not included standard. Basic Autopilot is included standard. They are different.

Also, remember that Enhanced Autopilot included a lot of features like NOA, Auto Park and Smart Summon which are now exclusively FSD. So you got some FSD features for that $3k.

They essentially lowered the price of the car. They've lowered the prices of all models and while a ton of people are upset about it, I don't think they've given anybody money back or credit that missed the price reductions by a few days or weeks.

Did the base price of the car go up after they included basic AP as standard? Smart Summon was never included in basic AP anyway. As you say, you asked Tesla and they explained why they are saying 'No'. Enjoy driving the car.

i took delivery in july 2018 w/ EAP, and i have the ability to add FSD right now in my tesla account for $3k. they haven't raised the price back up yet.

either way, i have seen people post online that even as the price goes up, they will still honor whatever the price was when you bought the car...in my case, that was $5k. if the $3k price sticks around long enough that i can set some money aside, i'll probably buy it at some point after stop sign and traffic light recognition is available or at least somewhat close...otherwise i'll probably wait and contact them to try to get it for the $5k agreed-upon price when i bought the car.